FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

Yeah I actually like the protagonist’s design. He’s different! And he fits right in the medieval setting… I don’t think that his was a 90s haircut here - I don’t know that it was a haircut here past medieval times at all - but what do I know about fashion. Maybe it’s because I’m European but the main character is a-okay

EDIT: Never mind what I said about fashion, I thought he had a bowlcut middle part in his haircut. Like, you know, more mediavalesqe. I only played the game for 20 minutes, okay, I’m hazy on the details. Still, looking at it closely now I still like it!

I always feel a little guilt striking down my first sabrecat. Moreso this time with cubs frolicking nearby.

Then Erik went wild widda boomerang. And we got pepped for The Real Decoy. Building Tension in 8 involved some strategy but could take so many turns, 9’s Coup De Grace could be somewhat manipulated out of randomness. Think I’m diggin’ Pep between 'em.

feel like npcs frowning upon you going through everybody’s cupboards and smashing all the pottery is an important innovation

8 Likes

I did the thing, I bought the game. Gonna see how many wallpapers I can squeeze out of the first areas of the game.

3 Likes

Oh no…that’s a bummer. I honestly enjoy DQ for its radical take on property rights

7 Likes

It’s doesn’t stop you from doing any of it, though.

The ‘No XP from weak enemies’ rule solves one of my biggest issues, knowing how to pace myself to avoid over-leveling (I never seek out fights but I explore every corner and tend to bump into too many). It’s implemented quite strictly – as soon as you’re 1 level above the target you get no XP, and it’s a strong message to just run past enemies. Especially with respawning enemies roaming the fields and the ability to trivially bypass them, it’s a great guide as to how long I should be spending on things. And it keeps the gold economy in check, too.

Combined with the ‘stronger enemies’ mode, this is working real well. So far ‘strong enemies’ (I’m level 5) feels like DQ1 balancing.

4 Likes

Dragon Quest takes place in a world where you can enter a shop, go behind the counter and empty out all the locked chests, and the shopkeeper doesn’t even flinch. He might even be facing you when it happens—he will continue talking and selling you goods like nothing happened. It’s like, people will do what they can to protect things from getting taken, but nobody’s going to call you a thief or make you feel guilty. No one feels a sense of entitlement over anything even if it’s in their own house. (Does the house even belong to them?) There are no cops in dragon quest

2 Likes

There are a million and one heavily armed town guards, though

I honestly don’t know what I think about what Dragon Quest thinks about the player ransacking everyone’s stuff. They’ve both updated the fidelity of their world, making it more obviously ridiculous, and introduced new hints about it, like the pot smashing, indicating you should feel bad about it.

My best read is that if you asked Horii about it he’d say it was preserving a childhood fantasy of going through adults’ closets and dressers. If you ask him if you are supposed to feel bad, he’d respond,

“Well, do you feel bad?”

6 Likes

Heliodor, the first big city you visit, had a surprising theme of class struggle that I enjoyed. The shanty town area downtown is really cool. I loved climbing up and around all the makeshift huts embedded in the city walls.

A little weird that it’s totally bourgeoisie vs. lumpen-proletariat only, but I’ll take it.

1 Like

Were you referring to the dog companion in your party at the very beginning? That’s the only Mother 2 esque bit I noticed.

1 Like

I just that imagine that everyone knows you’re going to confess at the church eventually (since that’s presumably what they all do as well) and absolve yourself that way.

They’re not too judgemental and in the world of Dragon Quest any wandering adventurer could turn out to literally be the hero of legend who routinely saves the world from the dark lord so wouldn’t you want to be as helpful as possible as well to every stranger you meet?

1 Like

Are there usually guards in towns though? Definitely in & around the castle. But any guard is probably just there to protect from monsters, they certainly don’t attack you for doing anything wrong (unlike other crpgs of the time?).

A more interesting topic is jail…what do you have to do to get into dragon quest jail? In 7 there is exactly one jail with one prisoner, and his monologue is so fruity and specific that i think it’s yuji horii being sardonic about the whole sociopolitical aspect of his games. Like it’s easily the longest npc text box in the game so it must be important.

Of course I haven’t played most of the series so my perception of everything might be totally wrong

1 Like

yeah i’m also really enjoying limited xp + tough enemies mode very much— really got the shit best out of me last section i went through

fuck around and find out

about an hour into DQ11

So how do people set this limited exp mode and such? I must have just skipped that. But I also don’t really care for DQ to be hard, so it’s mostly just curiousity.

there’s a ‘Draconian Quest’ menu you can bring up when you’re starting a new game, you can toggle:

No fleeing
No shopping
No Armour
Reduced exp from easy fights
“Hard” mode
Shypox (still not entirely sure what this is, think it makes your mc fuck around randomly instead of doing what they’re told in fights like the jester class in dq3?)

Shypox makes the main character randomly lose turns in battle for remembering embarassing moments of his life (like telling a joke no one got). Also will sometimes make him too shy to talk to NPCs. You can try again immediately after so it’s just a small waste of time.

As a mechanic it’s rubbish but still 100% recommended

6 Likes

can you turn on draconian quests after starting the game though?

Not that I can find; it also seems like once you turn them off they’re off for good :confused: