Fear of a Todd Planet: The Elder Scrolls Online Thread

(thread title courtesy of Shrug)

Is the Elder Scrolls Online a good game? probably not.

Have I sunk at least forty hours into it in the past two weeks? Yes.

Welcome to the Elder Scrolls Online thread, your number one place for moonsugar crime discussion.

Like a lot of folks, I was sort of vaguely aware of ESO continuing to operate on it’s ‘buy once, optional monthy fee’ model. I remembered being baffled by it’s existence, it’s seemingly too little too late approach to making an MMO upon it’s original release.

What’s in the game now is…an odd mix of things. It’s aggresively level scaled, so with the exception of the intentionally late game content, you can pretty much fuck around anywhere, doing whatever. As long as that ‘whatever’ is some sort of MMO bullshit, like questing, crafting, and presumably some sort of PVP that, lets be real here, I’m never going to touch.

There’s presumably large dungeons and raids and crap too. I’ve yet to dip my toe into any of those.

What I have done is treated it like a regular Elder Scrolls game but with optional co-op. That’s actually worked out pretty ok so far. No actual part of the game’s mechanics are outstanding, but they function well enough even if the combat has become kinda rote now that I’ve optimized my skill bar a little bit. There’s a stealth system that sort of works. A lockpicking system that mostly works. A crafting system that seems to be the actual meat of the game based heavily around collecting resources and researching desirable weapon traits from old gear.

What I’ve found the most appealing thing about the game so far though is the vibe. The writing isn’t exactly good, but is occasionally pretty charming. For whatever reason, the devteam on it seem a lot more enamored with old Elder Scrolls Lore?

You get help from talking ravens to reveal a spy ring.

You kill elf-supremacist nazis and bust up an elf-supremacist nazi school.

Like, on the one hand Vivec is just a jolly dude who you help out with some false Nevarine troubles, but on the other hand your journey to help him eventually means you have to use the arguments of dead false nevarines to disprove a new false Nevarine. And you do this on a debate stage in the fossilized corpse of a giant crab.

Elder Scrolls Online is garbage, but comforting garbage, and I want a thread to dump ESO stuff in as it occurs to me, or any of the other handful of SBers crawling through Tamriel.

5 Likes

I tried it a couple of years ago on PS4, didn’t mind it but didn’t continue it past playing it for a few days. What platform are you playing on?

I somehow have a copy of this. Are there specific servers?

PC, there’s oddly no crossplay.

No severs except for North American or European, you turn up on whatever server your friends/group are on. It’s incredibly good about grouping and level scaling. There is some weirdness before you friend someone but that’s easy to fix.

i actually didn’t know it didn’t have a monthly fee! maybe that will make me get in on this. i was really into the idea of multiplayer TES back when i was into it but now i barely remember it exists lol

MMOs suck. and I find Bethesda style games pretty boring now. but i am kind of into the way their hangoutability could intersect. chatting and fighting with friends while doing the lazy wandering of TES games seems like talking to friends on CB radio in ___ Truck Simulator, but for dungeon crawling

3 Likes

ah man. i don’t like how argonians look in this

i miss Morrowind argonians. they looked kinda cool but more dorky and cute, like actual lizards

1 Like

I opted to start an SBESO discord for coordination and voice chat purposes. Just ask and I’ll invite you.

The Murkmire DLC is great.

4 Likes

I would give this game another shot if I had 80 dollars. I’ll pick it up again on sale if anyone is still playing it.

morrowind argonians are so cute in a like, small lizard way and i love them so much
firefox_2020-02-22_12-09-37
:3

4 Likes

I’ve put about 4 hours into this, it’s a great hangout game but I will not play it unless someone else is on. But it’s a great hangout game!

I got through character creation and then left the first building and remembered that I don’t really like playing modern Elder Scrolls games.

If you want to just mess around a fantasy world with people, let me know and I can give you a discord invite.

I fully understand if you got too much Skyrim exposure though!

1 Like

ATTENTION ESO PLAYERS

UNDER THE FLAG OF CYBER-CALIPHATE BUTTS FREE COMPANY OF EORZEA WE HAVE KIDNAPPED @AutomaticTiger AND WILL NOT RELEASE HER UNTIL OUR DEMANDS ARE MET

WE DEMAND THAT YOU BUY 20M GIL FROM 4KGILFARMERS DOT COM AND DONATE 5 MILLION TO THE DOMAN LIBERATION ARMY, 5 MILLION TO BACHELORSOFT, 5 MILLION TO THE COOL BROTHEL IN SHIROGANE, AND DELIVER THE REST TO US

WE ARE VERY SERIOUS!!!

7 Likes

I mean so long as she’s having fun being an anime there’s no rush imo

3 Likes

(Don’t let folks know that, play along here, we need the Gill for a better Free Company house)

1 Like

What alliance should I pick so I can play with SB people? Or do alliances not matter?

edit: I found a key in my humble bundle subscriptions so I didn’t have to pay anything to start the base game

You can group with whoever, faction only matters for PVP. And I think it’s still bound to race so you’re pretty much stuck with that unless you pay for the perk of making one of any faction.

So don’t worry about it.