favourite videogame skies

I know skyboxes aren’t often what you’re focusing on when you’re playing a game… one could argue a skybox is actually doing its job better if you don’t notice it, but, I don’t know! Barely a day goes by where I don’t think about this game and its sky. Anyone else have a videogame sky they’re a little bit obsessed with? Can be from anything.

24 Likes

morrowind

walkabout

chrono cross

sailor moon (cania-edited screenshot)

fleshzone

30 Likes

OH AND HOW COULD I FORGET THE SENTINEL RETURNS

20 Likes

Wow, these are really cool. I’m intrigued by Walkabout and Fleshzone, but can’t seem to find them… where might I find those?

sorry you said from anywhere and i guess im a stinker

walkabout is a movie with a great videogame skybox, and the fleshzone one is a picture i took.

5 Likes

Oh, no, don’t worry about it! They’re really nice, I just got confused :smiley:

2 Likes

Cyan has had some real bangers in their catalogue over the years

16 Likes

Brutal legend was also designed with the explicit intention of having Cool Looking Skies, and I think they pulled it off

7 Likes

oh yeah, ultima thule in ffxiv

13 Likes

FFXIV’s expansion Shadowbringers makes its skyboxes plot critical in a way I thought was really cool. Progressing the story changes the skyboxes in ways that matter to the world. The world has been overrun by the forces of light, who have banished night and replaced it with an uncanny simulacrum of sunlight. Every time you defeat a figure central to the forces of light, you bring back the night to that area and you can see the nighttime skyboxes and hear the nighttime music for the first time.

I had a hard time actually finding screenshots though, but here’s one from google image search:

9 Likes

heheh yeah, i immediately thought of Todelmer (the second one)

1 Like

50% of Watchdogz 2 is carried by the location, and the sky (skies) are part of that:

:servbotsalute:

11 Likes

Here’s where I get to post all my Shenmue screenshots.

21 Likes

7 Likes

I think the art in Pokémon Legends Arceus is genuinely gorgeous, and in particular the skyboxes, which have these incredible sketchy splotchy clouds drifting across fields of endless pinbright stars. You constantly have to look at the sky and the moon for gameplay reasons too.

Bonus plot spoilers sky:

13 Likes

The flooded city from Yemen in Mario 64

I loved the skyboxes from Infinifactory though it’s impossible to convey what I liked about them through screenshots

15 Likes

Love to click on this thread and find that the FIRST thing in the FIRST reply is daphny posting Morrowind

10 Likes

Them Forza Horizon games also have some nice skyboxes sometimes,

if only you dare to stop chasing Things To Do :tarothink:

6 Likes

love me some midwest, impressionistic sky

(norco)

5 Likes

Trackmania DS & Trackmania Turbo (DS):

9 Likes