18. Paterson
  19. The Handmaiden
  20. Moonrise Kingdom
  21. Sorry to Bother You
  22. You Were Never Really Here
  23. The Lobster
  24. Moonlight
  25. The Last Jedi
  26. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Collected)
  27. Take Shelter
  28. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  29. Sayazamurai
  30. Snowpiercer

I really want to put Silence on here, but I like need to watch it again. I think it’s probably very good, maybe great, but it’s based on my favorite novel and I struggle.

3 Likes

tbh lady bird should probably get an hon. mention on my list just bc i felt Extremely Happy leaving the cinema after it

1 Like

This is yet another thread that has reminded me that my media tastes are wildly anachronistic and I have seen at most two contemporary films a year for the past decade.

The only non embarrassing thing I really liked was probably Fury Road, I liked most of the Star Wars movies, Prometheus I have a weird soft spot for, I really really liked It Chapter One but I suspect I’m in the strong minority there and still need to rewatch um, It…

Honestly so much of this decade has been catchup with stuff like Robocop, the Matrix trilogy, Flash Gordon, pretty much everything by Dario Argento…it’s mostly old stuff. Exactly like how I play games.

1 Like

i actually had to check which movies came out this decade, and strsight off the bat would have nominated a few 2009 to be on this list.

well then, my list of flicks that made the first cut:
machete
black swan
inception
Tron legacy
source code
the artist
rise of the planet of the apes
hugo
alive and ticking
in time
intouchables
cabin in the woods
wreck it ralph
Life of Pi
Oz (reboot)
Gatsby
pacific rim
gravity
all is lost
wolf of wallstreet
edge of tomorrow
big hero 6
interstellar
ex machina
mad max fuy road
inside out
der nachtmahr
man from UNCLE
high rise
spectre
crimson peak
money monster
handmaiden
neon demon
la la land
arrival
rogue one
wind river
night is short walk on girl
wonder woman
loving vincent
mutafukaz
transformers the last knight (yeah, SERIOUSLY)
war for the planet of the apes
valerian
buster scruggs etc.
suburbicon
i, tonya
blade runner 2049
one cut of the dead
utøya, 22 Juli
the man who killed don quixote
first man
Vox Lux
bad times at the El royale
glass
godzilla - king of monsters

… a wild list, i know!
But i am a simple man, and i am not gonna put arthouse shit i’ve seen on here if i didn’t absolutely love it, so that’s a huge chunk of billboards, birds and oscar wanna-winners out already.

otoh, weird flicks like alive and ticking made it onto this list, so it is a pretty odd list anyway, so without further ado, down to 10!

1. Night is Short Walk on Girl
  2. La La Land
  3. Rogue One
  4. Arrival
  5. Vox Lux
  6. War for the Planet of the Apes
  7. Inception
  8. Arrival
  9. Interstellar
  10. man from U. N. C. L. E.

… and before i change my mind and start shifting around titles, that’s it.

4 Likes

the wind rises
upstream color
under the skin
white material
shin godzilla
spring breakers
the act of killing
blade runner 2049
inside llewyn davis
amour

alternate list: not boyhood

alternate list 2: it’s just fury road

8 Likes

Glad we all agree Fury Road is the film of the decade

4 Likes

i feel all of this. This decade had a lot of cool stuff that i’m sure i’ll catch up with in the next decade

I’ve been sitting on this Trash Humpers DVD for too long.

1 Like

warmin it up

1 Like

attack the block
what we do in the shadows
the raid
the villainess
the lobster
snowpiercer
fury road
dredd
mission impossible 4
sorry to bother you
scott pilgrim
shin godzilla
the lego movie
the duke of burgundy
high rise
john wick
get out
edge of tomorrow
haywire
into the spider-verse
the lure
pitch perfect
wreck it ralph
creed
her
pacific rim
tokyo tribe
jupiter ascending
only lovers left alive
rango
toy story 3
four lions
macgruber
fast five
tangerine
thor ragnarok
ex machina
the shape of water
submarine
world of tomorrow
okja
21 jump street

5 Likes

Dang, A Serious Man was 2009. That was almost easy.

Any Roger Deakins DP credit is mind-meltingly gorgeous and mandatory for me. It almost redeems Skyfall’s nonsense. Blade Runner 2049 is probably the best of these.

I did not read The Southern Reach before watching Annihilation and I think I enjoyed it more as a result. The sound design at the end is sublime.

Shin Godzilla would be perfect if I didn’t understand English.

Pacific Rim would also be perfect if I didn’t understand English.

Welcome to Me and Ingrid Goes West made me laugh out loud at… how people treat people with mental illness. Instead of mental illness. Which is the point.

Arrival just made me well up with an unfathomable loneliness thinking about it.

Nothing made me as gleeful as The Last Jedi and I may not even bother with IX. There’s love and craft in Johnson pulling together cohesive worldbuilding from disused errata.

OK, I wrote that about Star Wars but I’m still upset about Arrival so Arrival. It isn’t fucking fair that it’s a movie about language and communication and the choice to have a kid knowing they’ll be sick.

2 Likes

I know a lot of women who really didn’t like welcome to me or Ingrid goes west but the castration live on air bit was really good

Elysium probably isn’t a good movie but getting an exoskeleton grafted on so I can get some undocumented people medical care is a career goal.

1 Like

also, speaking of 2009, in the loop, a serious man, world’s greatest dad, and district 9 would all be on a list of mine. Good year for English language movies.

3 Likes

I love A Serious Man and it has a special place in my heart because it was during the year where I was a projectionist

Every weekend at least one person would ask if the end of the movie was missing. Old folks would ask if I left a reel off.

(Moon and The September Issue are my other favorite “I actually built this print!” movies.)

3 Likes

also maybe replace buster Scruggs on my list with an ostlund movie but it doesn’t matter which one, force majeure and the square both achieve the same thing

and fuck it, TV shows:

1. Atlanta
  2. Succession
  3. Bake Off
  4. At Home with Amy Sedaris
  5. I think you should leave
  6. Family Tree
  7. Fleabag
  8. Legion
  9. Bojack
  10. Ash vs Evil Dead

You’ll havd a great time watching Edge of Tomorrow!

Fast and Furious as a collective experience

I considered listing all the marvel movies as a joke.

Mentioning To Rob A Thief (Spainish) because looking over my lists it strikes me how good of a gimmick that film has.

As Someone that watches the first 15 minutes of La La Land every chance I get on a plane I really really question y’all that put it down that movie is awful with some great musical numbers

The decade ain’t over but here’s a rough draft

Night is Young, Walk With Girl
Drive
THE GUEST
One Cut Of The Dead
Interstellar
Scario

Just imagine the other 4 spots of that top 10 say “Everyone watch the 6 films I already listed.” I intensely liked each of those films and would watch any of them again. Well Interstellar would take prepartion. The two times I’ve watched it I spent the 15 minutes after crying.

the 5th Pirates film is the worst thing I saw in theaters. My head buried in my head most of the time wondering if I could convince Lady Rude to leave and then remembering this was a ¥5000 Japanese Movie Date. That night I had to watch Fury Road because I needed to be remembered films could be good.

Boys On The Run is 2010. I need to see that again as an older wiser more fluent person. It really spoke to the loser male condition and made no consessions to that.

Fuck I almost forgot about this

Thank you, and fuck you

2 Likes