Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

worst images thread is that way

2 Likes

22 Likes

Well, I might find this difficult to resist.

3 Likes

I dunno. If it was an artbook or a making-of type thing yeah, but the idea of having a ā€œcompendiumā€ of Dark Souls lore indexed and color-coded is enervating

The art books are good, too. I have all three of the Dark Souls ones, but Iā€™ve been on the fence about the Bloodborne one because itā€™s not hardcover to match the others.

I have the Future Press Dark Souls 2 guide, and I found it fun to look through in the way that old Nintendo Power guides were fun to look through (and other guides were/are not).

1 Like

Huh. Using a paper guide actually sounds like a pretty fun way to revisit one of these games.

2 Likes
6 Likes

10 Likes

15 Likes

iā€™m making my third attempt to beat Dark Souls 3, and iā€™m up to the same place iā€™ve gotten to every time (Lothric Castle, which i thought was halfway through the game but is apparently more like 2/3rds). This has been the easiest playthrough yet, courtesy of the sellsword twinblades, which is good because i can finally confirm for myself that i donā€™t dislike this game because itā€™s too hard. Itā€™s just not hard in a way that i find fun or engaging. Itā€™s the one Dark Souls game iā€™ve played that feels as hard as everyone says Dark Souls is. everything is cranked up to 11 against the player in a way thatā€™s immensely tedious to me. Iā€™m pretty over difficulty discourse at this point but man, nothing in Sekiro has made me want to rage quit as badly as DS3 constantly does. so glad that Fromsoft is moving on from this dead-end.

Still some good shit in the level design (Cathedral of the Deep is :chefkiss: ) and everything looks cool as hell, but man, some of these encounters and bosses are a chore

I just beat DS3! Lothric Castle was cake for me and my Greatsword/Drang Hammer antics. I also had just gotten (and subsequently upgraded) Yhormeā€™s Greatshield to block almost everything for very little Stam loss. Tbh, tho, I dont think Iā€™ve ever felt as overpowered as I did with that trio of items.

I was torn between playing DS3 again with a different build or DeS. Iā€™m playing DeS, and the mechanical differences - even just the walking around - are just so much more improved in DS3.

That said, the lore and world building is so bogus in 3. I care about DeS because it tells human stories. DS3 is just another story about weirdly specific ashed people hanging out with a particular kind of undead people murdering really big weird people. Itā€™s just so into itself, but I guess this is what happens when a guy good at making games makes a sequel to a good game.

3 Likes

Oh god Yhorm. Yhorm! What if we took the coolest boss in this whole series and mashed it up with a really shitty easy Dark Souls 3 boss. Thatā€™s Yhorm. Fuck that guy.

Yeah DS3 is extremely mechanics first, and i legit appreciate that up to about mid-Irithyll. Theyā€™re trying their damnest to keep this play interesting and i think it basically works until you start fighting those bullshit pontiff knights and the silver knights redux. Once they play the biggest Dark Souls 1 fanwank card, the whole thing just collapses in on itself imo

Thereā€™s a cool meta-read to 3 just like there is to the rest of the series (1 is the cosmic joke of being the main character of a video game and dying over and over, taken seriously, 2 is a game about that main character losing their identity because you got caught up in so much weird side quests and game bullshit that they forgot what their original mission was) which is basically From going ā€œplease god please fucking let us make something else that isnā€™t a Souls game holy shit let it die alreadyā€ and thatā€™s fun to think about, at least

1 Like

i might also be particularly offended because this is the first time i played through Smouldering Lake, which starts off looking really wild and cool (burned-up Ash Lake! Giant Avelyn shooting at you! Tremors-ass sandworm menacing you!) and then literally narrows into a goddamn chalice dungeon full of obnoxious enemies. Such a microcosm of the whole game for me

1 Like

Smouldering Lake was like a place to get XP w a huge anticlimactic end. Fighting the mute was like lol OK sure what why are we doing this?

Its been awhile since I played Demonā€™s Souls (So, I havenā€™t played it after DkS3). But I felt like DkS1 and 2 were only small refinements. Not large steps. And I actually prefer the faster speed of DeS. DkS3 was nice, for the increased speed, more like DeS.

3 Likes

thatā€™s funny, Smouldering Lake was one of the first things i saw scrubbing through a ds3 playthrough before picking it up, and i pretty much had that same reaction - ā€œew, theyā€™re just blatantly recycling a bunch of chalice dungeon assets?ā€ ā€¦ but in context, idk something about randomly plunging into this tight, mazey chunk of DOOM level design was kind of rad? if it were any less tucked away it probably wouldnā€™t have been memorable but, for me, it was one of the rare moments ds3 felt like it was doing something weird and unprecedented, not just painting by numbers.

Sure, i got a certain measure of appreciation out of it being the most dungeon crawly Souls level imaginable. It also has those big shamans that create turrets, which are fun to fight, and a cool part where you stumble upon a black knight killing some enemies. And the boss is fun and a good sendoff for big smashy demons. So, okay, itā€™s not that bad, but i just found it a letdown after that promising start, and didnā€™t have a great time actually playing it.

I like the little dungeon chunk in Smouldering Lake, too, and the goal is so beautifully described in a way on Souls can get away with ā€“ a brutally nasty keepaway gate (the ballistae) that you need to play with long enough to understand where to go.

But the dungeon is a little long, although learning the floor dropdowns helps, and I think it ends underwhelmingly ā€“ Iā€™d prefer the boss to be the ballistae themselves, instead of that guy locked in a room off to the side, and itā€™s depressing to return to the Lake after youā€™ve reached the top and see the big empty room. Itā€™d be better if you really never went back once you saw the top.

3 Likes

Iā€™m replaying Dark Souls 2: Scholar of The First Sin edition. And Iā€™m reminded of something which i never saw anyone talk about, anywhere. Its an addition to the SoTFS version. Not present in the original release and/or the PS360 version. I know people know about it, because its on the wikis.

Invisible Hollows. What a great addition. I remember when I first encountered one, it threw me for a small loop. Especially since I had also played the original version of the game. I at first thought I may be looking at a glitch. A simple thing, which added to the that sort of eery and mysterious atmosphere we love about these games. And subsequently a fun sort of ā€œtreasureā€ hunt, which forces you to use the torch.

4 Likes