Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

I would still tend to trust the original release + all of the utilities floating around out there for it more than whatever team they’re gonna stick on this new build and however they’ll handle that

(I really don’t trust next-gen remasters if they’re more than one step removed from the original codebase)

Dark Souls 1 on PC was a pretty terrible release. antiquated KBM support. 720p max. No other meaningful graphical settings. And while framerate is overall better and more conistent----still some strange slow down issues.

And Dark Souls 1 on 360 and PS3, was not true 720p.

Say what you may about remasters: Dark Souls 1 only stands to benefit. I really can’t believe it took this long to release an upgrade to officially fix Dark Souls 1 PC. and to have at least a general resolution boost, for console.

The mods are pretty good. But they are kind of obtuse to use and are not without some pretty glaring caveats.

I also doubt PC players will get any sort of discount, as MANY people bought the original release for less than $5, from several aggressive sales. I still have a couple of spare codes in my Steam, which were probably about $2.

*It will be interesting to see if the 60fps support is truly reverse engineered into the remaster, or if its the sort of half implemented double pumping which they did for Dark Souls 2.

1 Like

I am legit happy running my $5 copy of DS1 at 180p60 on my mobile GPU, so…

1 Like

It also feels strange, with Demon’s Souls dying. I guess they couldn’t figure out the licensing.

1 Like

I think Felix is talking about subtle implantation details that usually aren’t noticed – visual effects that are lost or implemented wrong, physics that are slightly off, even bugs that are inadvertently fixed. I’m working on a multimillions game right now and i gape at how much nobody knows about our game, because it’s too complex to know; it’s impossible for information to not be lost.

There’s also a lot of context missing when taking this on. What informed the discussion to color this a certain way, or texture it just so? That context can’t be fully recreated with ports and it’s why I’ve never been comfortable with them or texture mods or reshade programs.

It’s certainly possible for the benefits to outweigh what’s lost! High frame rate and a renewed online community could make up for the inevitable mistakes.

7 Likes

Do we know if From is involved at all? I find it likely Namco just up and did this as the publisher, and Sony (as Demon’s publisher/co-developer) is not interested or doesn’t own the game in the same way. From does not seem interested in the remake game themselves (or I’m projecting; their catalog probably doesn’t have enough hits to justify the cost).

The one thing I’ll go to bat for is the comical ragdoll dragging

2 Likes

i like how they tried to remove that wonderful feature in 2 but blatantly just sprinkled a lil code in that “pinned” corpses to the ground, so you’d still get weird shit like the bodies twitching/breakdancing or dropped halberds bouncing away like beach balls

2 Likes

Oh I get it. I just think that Dark Souls could be very easily and greatly improved. Its not a game which was perfectly implemented on original hardware. The original game was clearly bent by the limitations of last gen.

Certainly, I would like for the remaster to still be as colorful. And the area specific visual filters was cool. But otherwise, there are many things to improve which would only enhance the game. Rather than take away from it. And specifically for PC, there is a hell of a lot to make up for.

Were the PC versions of DS2 and 3 any better than the original in terms of options/framerate/etc?

Significantly. They were actually designed and optimized for PC, while DkS1 was a really shoddy port of the Xbox 360 version (it even uses the 360 control prompts by default)

To be completely fair, though, FROM had minimal experience developing for PC and only made the port because western fans petitioned for it, which is pretty chill of them.

It even has (minor) mechanical implications! Dropped items stick to the ragdolls, so if the ragdoll gets knocked off an edge, you lose the opportunity to loot. Better run after it…

2 Likes

as much as i liked kicking around the ragdolls, the way dks2 did it is cool, too - less distracting, plus they had way more mobs in the second one

it’s also by far the silliest looking thing that’s happening all the time in dks1

always hilarious tho

The Ports of 2 and 3 are super solid on PC.
3 feels a tiny bit worse in performance, since it’s ported again from the new engine they used for current gen consoles, but that may be because I can’t play it at max settings myself…

The only odd thing is that DkS1 has steam cloud sync for your save games, while they inexplicably dropped it for DkS2 & 3

oops. thought I might be forgetting something when I uninstalled those

Wouldn’t the switch version just be more or less the same as the original, seeing as it is basically as powerful as the Wii U?

Players: 1 Player (Single-Player), 1 to 6 Players (Multiplayer)
Rating: RP
Localization: Voiceover (EN), Subtitles (EN, SP, FR, BR)
Resolution and Frame Rate
Xbox One (1080p, 60 FPS)
PlayStation 4 (1080p, 60 FPS)
Xbox One X (Upscaled 4K,60 FPS)
PlayStation 4 Pro (Upscaled 4K, 60 FPS)
PC (Native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 FPS)
Nintendo Switch (TV mode: 1080p, 30 FPS; Handheld mode: 720p 30 FPS)

so higher res at least

To be fair didn’t the PC version eventually get a quasi-official 1080p patch/workaround? I remember being able to select it (though performance was poor).

Do you think blight town will not be shitty to play or is that considered part of the game

21 posts were split to a new topic: ny LOD is bigger than yours