fashion thread

I think this is why Rick Owens will remain one of the most positive menswear instances of the last decade+ because for all of its presentational archness it was weird enough to actually accommodate a bunch of human bases so long as you were/are prepared to drift towards cosplaying as a star trek ninja

5 Likes

sksksksksk save the turtles! im glad these are the chunky platforms that came back. i remember in like 96-98 all the white girls would wear all white platform tennis shoes and i hated it

to add to the discussion, im dirt poor and need to look wild. i get really lucky at thrift stores sometimes but the shape and size of my body makes it so i cant fit in the default easy to find sizes of clothes

so i make sure everything is built to last and i make all holes look like theyre on purpose

so what i usually do is focus on an article at a time. one season ill do leggings, one season ill do tops, might find a jacket or accessories while thrifting for my big thing if jm lucky

if youre a jeans person find jeans that fit and only get shirts that you FUCKING LOVE. just have the highest standards for tshirts. i wear mostly tshirts because my shoulders and arms, and i like covering my torso in cool art. graphic tees will always be cool to me because im actually a huge low fashion nerd and that’s fine
START WITH THE SHOES THOUGH. shoes uplift your whole outfit!

also like, just ONE accessory goes a long fucking way. its little details that make people realize you purposely put your clothes together instead of just putting whatever on.

brooks is right about trawling high fashion to figure out what you dont like.

4 Likes

sksksk I can’t believe they gave me a plastic straw at starbucks now I have to throw it away to use my metal straw because I CARE about the ENVIRONMENT

Daph has an important take here which is material and stitching matters cause if something is cheaply made either in stitching or fabric, its not gonna make it very far. It also helps to have needle 'n thread! A bit of hand-stitching goes a long way when you start to see things unravel, or if you need to patch a spot up

Related to stitching as you get comfortable with it you can start to figure out ways to modify things you already own to give them new life and revamp your wardrobe essentially for free. Word of the wise for anyone who goes down the DiY path with fashion - do not leave raw hems they’re bad for the garment! I did this when I first started DiY’ing like a year ago (I cut a shitton of old boytees of mine into crop tops, yes I am a parody of myself) and I deeply regret it

Also for people with too much time on their hands, making clothes from scratch using cheap second-hand fabric and using something you already own and like the fit of to make a stencil is a nice easy way to dip your toes into completely original pieces

3 Likes

Anyway again really do whatever the fuck you want, experiment, find your style, don’t be afraid to do anything, there’s honestly no fucking limits fashion is extremely cool and we are all doing it constantly, whether intentionally or not

3 Likes

YES KHAN RAISES A HUGE POINT learning to sew rules (my thunder thighs will destroy tights, so i gotta stitch up those holes!) BUT OH GOD DONT LEAVE THINGS YOU CUT TO UNRAVEL

another thing: cis or not, if clothes fit you it doesnt matter what gender theyre for as long as YOU like it. people will compliment your look more if they can tell its something you wanted to do. and its almost 2020 so your trans pioneer friends have been fashioning on the front lines for a while, you dont have to be scared to NWA voice EXPRESS YOURSELF

5 Likes

THIS YEAR EVERYONES FASHION VISION WILL BE 2020

3 Likes

DAPHAKNEE HAS LAID DOWN DIVINE TRUTHS by saying gendered clothing is a lie and a sham and wear what makes you feel cool and hot, because if you feel that way then it does!

Also fr y’all basic sewing is easy and cheap to get into and if all you’re using it for is mending clothes then it’s nothing that will take a long time to do! Hemming by hand is doable, I’ve done it, but it can take a good hot minute.

If you get real into sewing and get into like hand-made clothes or whatnot and are looking for a sewing machine, the Brother cs6000i is really good, easy to use, and is like 135? Which is low-end price point for a decent sewing machine. It’s got tons of stitches, different speeds, it’s computerized, its got an extendable worktable, its just a good machine all-round for people who are serious about sewing but can’t shell out for the crazy machines / aren’t sure if they’re into it enough to shell out SERIOUS clams

2 Likes

Also to keep screaming hot spicy tips into the thread because I can, there’s tons of ways you can style shit through layering, or using a belt to change the silhouette, or switching accessories / shoes, there is just so many possibilities with even a simple wardrobe. There’s a ton of ways to rock a black tee and jeans, or a black dress, or slacks and a dress shirt

Cold weather get a cool scarf and hat. Like look into nepalese or SE asia style stuff.

perfect form

2 Likes

How dare you, this is Charles Wright voice

i like referencing samples because inevitably some know it all comes out saying what the sample is originally like i dont know

its important to have the tune of NWA’s express yourself in your head too which is why i said it. also i like the way the NWA dudes dress more. charles wright was a suit dude

1 Like

It’s not what you look like when you’re doing what you’re doing. It’s what you’re doing when you’re doing what you look like you’re doing.

style defines the doing

1 Like

9 Likes

looking for some work inspo (chalayan ss98)

7 Likes

mowalola, more work inspo

5 Likes

yip yip post transistion

i really like the way it explodes out

8 Likes

the houndstooth vortex

i learned what houndstooth was because it was an included wallpaper in some version of windows btw, i find that endlessly funny. i genuinely thought it was just a computer thing