Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

Had to watch this on mute, so I can’t comment on what the drivers are talking about. But does Grid really need an immersive story? Does it need racing trucks shunting open wheel cars?!

2 Likes

I think I might buy a Toyota Previa Supercharged Alltrac minivan. I have been looking. Who needs crumple zones? In the process I have learned some new American-market Japanese van facts:

You may well be familiar with the cab-over-engine '84-90 Toyota TownAce rebranded here as simply the Toyota Van; they pop up every now and again invariably in terrible shape?

But did you also know they were offered in 4WD spec from '87-89?

Neither did I.

Nissan also brought over their jdm Vanette as the Nissan Van GXE from '86-90.

I’ve seen a couple listings but never seen one of those around irl, wonder why.

In 1994, after four safety recalls did not end the engine fire problems, and with a class action lawsuit pending,[10] Nissan took the unprecedented step of recalling every Nissan Van sold in the US.[11] Van owners were offered Kelly Blue Book value or more for their van,[12] and most accepted, but a few opted to keep their vans.

The fine and rugged durability of simple and efficient engineering.

Indeed the mighty 3rd-gen Delica was also sold here on our shores between '87-90, as the 2WD-only 107hp Mitsubishi Wagon.

While we never got the previously-posted Mitsubishi RVR in its incredible Sports Gear or Open Gear specs:

We did receive the mini-minivan under three different guises.

The Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

The Plymouth (and Dodge?) Colt Vista

and the Eagle Summit Wagon

All of which were offered in AWD specs, yes, oh yes.

Bonus: Also I am developing a soft spot for the first-gen Mazda MPV with it’s electronically lockable 4WD diff and alluring '91-only Luxury Package leather/wheel options ooh la la

8 Likes

best of all, most of these are even MR drivetrain layout cars/vans, so you can tick off that “own a rare Midship Rearwheel-drive car” box from your bucketlist as well!

(unfortunately, the RVR/Expo/Vista/whatever is a clear front-engine design… not burning down has some disadvantages as well, huh!)

1 Like

So I watched the trailer again with the sound on, and one of the actors (is this FMV, I can’t tell anymore?) is playing Nathan McKane. He’s as much of a dick as I’d always pictured his faceless AI to be in Grid Autosport. I’m sold. I’d totally play this new entry if it’s ever on a platform I have access to.

2 Likes

Re?(moving) the driver’s seat to change spark plugs sounds like a wild adventure I’d be down for.

2 Likes

https://www.twitch.tv/dlnxn Gonna be streaming a bit of DiRT 4 shortly if anyone wants to watch me being terrible :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://clips.twitch.tv/SilkySuspiciousEelCorgiDerp-2Zfo7_J5uT0NHVzX

lmao watch me roll the car at the very end of the championship after the finish and my codriver says “perfect, good job!”

3 Likes

:genki:

8 Likes
2 Likes

i think this guy lives somewhere here in TX The Space Potato resides in Austin.

apparently before converting to solid axle, his self-fab’ed beefed up suspension exploded on the highway. also it almost killed him when it fell off jack stands; cursed bean car

7 Likes

Good God! I’ve heard stories of cars being hit by other cars while on jackstands and not falling. This story seems fishy to me.

My Dad once got pinned under the bumper of a Triumph TR7 that he was working on. But that was not caused by a gust of wind. No, instead, that gust of wind triggered Bell’s Palsy in him while working on the same car.

2 Likes

for the few ppl who need some sort of run up to the greatest racë in ze worldo, there’s the Spa 24h up this weekend,

find all the links you need here:

and enjoy daredevils missing eau rouge time and again, until a few don’t. That’s the time when you go catch something to eat btw, since it is inevitably going to happen that someone goes off there.

Also, if ypu are starving for race action, watch the recap of the last 50ish minutes of the 2020 edition of this race, … here, linking that for you as well:

3 Likes

Drove an electric car yesterday.
Renault ZOE.
I enjoyed it thoroughly and I having nothing more than love for electric engines, now more than ever.
Please world… make the batteries disappear. Even on a tiny car like that I could feel them dragging me down.

[edit]

Picture for reference, that exact color.
beautiful little thing
[/edit]

4 Likes

just look at it, it ooz… it bursts from character when comparing it to the german idea of what or how an electric car should look like:

BMW_i3_001

… seeeeriously?
Is that the best they can do?

OK, they had some years to improve on that… “design”:

… yyyyyyyyyyyyeah, no.

Maybe Aud-

audi-e-tron-50-quattro-2019

… there’s a good reason why étron has that meaning in ze french language, no?

And don’t get me started with VWs id’eas, which are now soooo 0% exhaust fumes clean, totally, they swear by god, like, really clean. Look, it even has a cable attached to zis panzer, and it is blue, like ze planet:
rycy9ogby76a_480

disgust isn’t even a proper word to describe what -

what. WHAT. WHATTHEHELLARETHEYTHINKING :tronyell:

seriously. sometimes i start to loose hope in mankind.

2 Likes

It is sad when Mercedes can get the most interesting looking car there (at least least offensive), and BMW the most efficient one (but damn that’s… just techno-vulgar, seen some around.)

But too me, it’s always the same problem there:
A thing of that size to have any kind of satisfying range… needs a fuckload of batteries.
Which weight even more than engines, and… well… if I felt them on a ZOE, I start to imagine there.

In comparison, yeah ooz.
But the good thing is when not comparing to any other electric car.
It just looks like a stylish Clio… and done (and in fact the most basic Clio now looks pretty damn nice).

Also… what’s with all those… what is that? Not an SUV… Inflated-hatchback-trying-to-be-a-wagon car?
Those things are huge and are all around the place D=
What? Why? Don’t tell me utility because there’s 1 person inside 80% of the time…

[edit]
Hydrogen power cell NOW.
Electric engines need love as well.
[/edit]

[edit2]
My partner just said that they are SUVs…
if they stand for “Seriously Useless Vehicle”
[/edit2]

2 Likes

absolutely!
Personally, I am kinda charmed by the 208e, though that has the range problem as well, mon dieu…

apropos. mon dieu:

… this looks suspiciously like split/second staff worked on that, and you can tell where they disney millions are missing. Hopefully will make it to steam or so, that i may be able to play it at some point…

2 Likes

I really liked how the new 208 facelift looked, until I started to see them in person.
They are bigger… more inflated than I expected.

The 308 though… for a Golf size car (which is HUGE now) looks pretty good with nice soft lines.

2 Likes

I’m replaying Gran Turismo. It’s shocking how primitive yet good the handling model is in this game. Adjusting to very little penalty for catastrophic collisions and car contact while also adjusting to rumble strips being very good at unsettling your car is so very odd.

I’m driving high strung race cars at this point. It’s cool how much you have to unlearn from slower street cars when you move into this class of vehicle. Braking during turning is no problem! Higher speed and revs == stability due to aero I guess.

4 Likes

I remember this very clearly because it was the first game I played that required me to break at all intelligently to stay on lines and it was such a novelty in 1998

3 Likes