esports

possibly the best rocket league 1v1 match i’ve ever seen

zen just turned 16 years a few days ago

1 Like

This is the famous Cloud9 (North America) vs. D.K. (Korea) Murky match at 1:02:05

Ballistix (Korea) vs. Fnatic (Europe) on Warhead Junction in one of my favorite matches ever (1:24:46)

seeing HOTS esports being posted reminds me

Garrosh getting nerfed into the ground was worth seeing this live

1 Like

oh god i can’t be reminded that i’m still playing hots

it can only be something i enter into in a haze and emerge from in a haze nothing more

3 Likes

love me some murky though

1 Like

Esports… my favorite thing that esports has brought into my life is the phrase “mental boom”. Incredible jargon that I seek to use as often as possible

2 Likes

big fan of mental boom, I mental boom all the time

speaking of time, my favorite recent esporting adventure was the starcraft 2 world championship at IEM Katowice, where the chinese player oliveira (nee TIME), more or less a true nobody grinding in the background of a niche scene in a niche game, qualified for the tournament via the lone pity chinese seed – which he was not even favored to get – and then randomly just beat all the best players in the world, including the best player of all time in the grand finals to win the thing. which, by the way, occurred less than a month after the chinese SC2 servers were shut down.

for some reason there isn’t even a video anywhere of the whole interview and celebration afterward where he broke down like 3 times, but there’s at least this clip:

6 Likes
3 Likes

i had never heard this term before! is it the same thing or different than the concept of “tilt”?

1 Like
3 Likes

it’s like one step after tilt. tilt is when you are emotionally compromised to the point where nothing good is going to happen, but you keep trying. mental boom is when you give up entirely but keep playing anyway because you are in a deranged fugue state

i mean this isn’t a technical term but that is how I choose to apply it

2 Likes

Yeah I also read it as like, super tilt with a side of yawning despair

1 Like

Are we watching the Lima Major? https://www.twitch.tv/epulzeen

We should be watching the Lima Major.

2 Likes

i thought about posting about this series, really og’s entire ti8 run is still worth watching, their series against eg in winner’s finals and the first series against lgd before that were both almost as special and miraculous as the grand finals. there was so much context and history and emotion behind that run that witnessing it live felt like this once in a lifetime thing for someone who was really invested in this shit since like 2012. the true sight doc is worth watching even just as a documentary, seeing the teams’ competing ideas about the game is really really interesting and compelling and getting insight into each team’s mental state as the series progressed is like i think so valuable in understanding how these games work at a high level. it’s sort of a cliche for casters and analysts in basically any esport to talk about momentum but like, it really is a real thing and it’s such a striking example of how that kind of thing can make or break a team. the doc is like often funny, sometimes cringy, and just so human, it’s like this miraculous performance against all odds on one side and just heartbreaking tragic defeat on the other, it’s just good film making. as a chinese dota fangirl i’m honestly still devastated at lgd’s loss, og’s run was just undeniable but that lgd team falling short both this year and the next was like such a fucking shame, fy is like in that special class of players who just deserve a ti win, even back then, but just hasn’t been able to make it happen. i could keep going, there’s so much to talk about, if anyone watches the true sight documentary and is like, confused why like ppasarel is rubbing notail’s shoulder in the beginning or whatever feel free to ask me to explain it lol

also merlini coming back to cast that finals was such a special thing, that guy is so cool and has such a legacy and has probably had more impact as a player on the way these games are played and the way the genre evolved than almost anyone. he’s the one who brought bots tinker into competitive dota, he more or less invented jungling, he’s like one of i think four or five non chinese dota 1 players that the chinese scene at the time (which was head and shoulders above the rest of the world) gave the god title to. anyways i could go on if anyone has dota questions i’m yr girl

6 Likes

posting esports cringe

timestamped, guess which one of these guys went to jail for a while on domestic violence charges and which one is a notorious transphobe

also timestamped, probably the worst/best production of all time hon was extremely cursed

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/38210422?t=00h12m26s

4 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/esports/comments/1q8rna/what_were_the_greatest_esports_matches/

i really like trying to get relatively concise lists of absolute banger moments from a variety of games, the above is pretty light and most of the content is from a kotaku article but it still has some real highs

1 Like

e.g.

2 Likes

LET’S GO JUSTIN!

these days youtube is full of justin giving every thirsty fightcade player a shot at the daigo parry, good times.

1 Like

I can’t find the exact quote, he may have just said this on a stream, but I constantly think about Justin saying: “You guys ever take an L so bad that 20 years later people are still sending you postcards about it?”

3 Likes

Whoa it’s been a mess. Games starting WAY behind time, terrible stream setup, and constant pauses. Heartbreaking really, this was supposed to be South America’s big coming out for Dota!

Oh, and TSM didn’t make it, didn’t even make it outta groups. I gotta get a better team to root for…

3 Likes