il maestro

Deep Down is the shit

1 Like
3 Likes

an immense tragedy that the master recordings were lost

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

I listened to the Once Upon a Time in the West soundtrack on shrooms once and had many revelations. This music was the tortured soul of America in all its grandeur, greed, gut-spilling heroism and hypocrisy, the life of a nation, the life of mankind the sigh of an entire universe moving through one harmonica pressed to the lips of a dying demiurge. RIP

3 Likes
6 Likes

I love how this feels like it’s coming off that modernist high (echoes of factory music) and then goes into ‘disaster movie’ before it transmutes rebellion into a traditional romantic battle march:

1 Like

that motherfucker wrote probably the greatest pop song of all time before spending the next 5 decades on various genius activities

his work with the pioneering electroacoustic free improv collective gruppo di improvvisazione nuova consonanza in the 60s and 70s is also excellent

5 Likes

it’s that characteristic rolling, tumbling towards sublimity before falling and trying again, louder, but never resolved

It recurs so much in his work but maybe never more directly than in The Mission, music which is orders of magnitude better than the treacly '80s ‘world cinema’ it was made for

2 Likes

A piece from The Mission was almost our wedding processional

a good name for an electronic musician would be ENIAC morricone

2 Likes

what the fuck i didn’t know he did that baez song what the fuck

1 Like

it’s so good and so Morricone, it’s impossibly simple but novel in context and scope, and repeated until it drills into your brain. It works perfectly with Joan’s protest-song lyrics

2 Likes