Embroidered Worlds: an anthology of Ukrainian SFF

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atthisarts/embroidered-worlds

I have some minor behind-the-scenes involvement in this anthology and I think it is v important that it succeed. Ukrainian literature with the exception of Nikolai Gogol is unknown to the west and this anthology will help to shine a spotlight on the flourishing literary culture of Ukraine. This will be the first time many of the authors involved will have had their works available in English.

If you want to help people in a war-torn nation and you want to read some fantastic fiction that you’ve never seen before, please do yourself the kindness of following and backing this kickstarter.

Right now, we need as many people as possible to click that ‘notify me on launch’ button, as it’ll help make the kickstarter more visible. If you can share this link to anyone you know who might be interested, that would be great.

27 Likes

I got excited and clicked the button :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Today (8/24) is Ukrainian independence day! So I’m once more bumping this thread. If you know anyone who likes genre fiction or wants to experience Ukrainian culture, please send the link to this kickstarter their way!

11 Likes

Reached out to an old professor of mine who still teaches to let them know about this. They were the first to expose me to a lot of weird-er fiction and the intersections of scifi and feminist and posthumanist thought, and they did it in such a spectacularly gonzo way (e.g. diverting attention back to a discussion about the philosophy of speech by telling one pedantic STEM nerd arguing that animals don’t have language “alright, enough, we are all undifferentiated mass NOW!!” in a room of 40 undeclared undergrads). I bet he’ll dig this.

5 Likes

Looks cool!

1 Like

posting the link again because the kickstarter is now live! If you can, back it right away. The more it appears to succeed early, the more that success will snowball. I want these writers to get paid, and I want the anglophone world to experience ukrainian SFF

10 Likes

The kickstarter funded on the first day, and we have even reached the point where all the stretch goal stories are funded!

One of the editors in Ukraine, Olha Brylova, wrote an excellent post detailing life during wartime

It is absolutely worth your time to read it.

12 Likes

LAST DAY OF THE KICKSTARTER, GO BACK IT NOW! GO GO GO

linking it one more time!

bookplate for backers has been unveiled!

table of contents revealed in this update!

4 Likes

I’m at the $1 tier, because I have no job. Looking forward to reading it!

1 Like

AHH THANKS FOR REMINDER I ALMOST FORGOT TO PLEDGE got mine in

1 Like

got mine!! gonna give one to my mother in law, the timing was perfect for that

8 Likes

I think mine is coming today : )

2 Likes

Just got my two copies. I’m giving one to my dad!

1 Like

I also received my copy. If only my books fit on my bookshelves.

2 Likes