EMBRACE CHAOS (randomizer thread)

i have generated so many random seeds and havent completed a single one yet lol. im just enjoying tooling around in settings and treating it like a build-a-romhack

the one for Earthbound, or as my version of it is called

is centered around its Ancient Cave mode, inspired by a classic FFV romhack (itself inspired by Lufia 2). All the areas in the game are shuffled into a random dungeon and you progress through all of the sanctuary guardians. You can fuck with a vanilla playthrough too but it’s apparently prone to softlocking because EB is such a flag filled game. Of course there are options to put in meme characters and music from other games and such (the first floor on this seed was set to an Earthbound sound palette version of the boss theme from SMT Nocturne!! pretty rad)

there are a whole whack of Zelda randomizers and ive tooled around with all of them. the LttP one is so detailed that ive actually gotten way too distracted with the setting switches to play it much lol i need to watch my own advice and EMBRACE CHAOS which i have done with the Ocarina randomizer – i have an absurd playthrough right now where all the entrances are random and had to draw a map to keep it straight

among the QoL options are “skip cutscenes” and “make Link/Navi’s voices less grating” so tbh this would be a pretty nice way to play vanilla OoT as well. Oh yeah and i shuffled all the dialogue so everyone says stupid non sequitur bullshit

my favorite so far tho has been the Wind Waker randomizer. partly this is because i have modded Link to be a girl. but also i set it so none of the progression items are in the dungeons, so i can just enjoy the most fun part of Wind Waker eg. sailing around solving island puzzles and fighting pirate bokoblins and enjoying blue skies (comes with the swift sail from the Wii U version by default, too!). I also made it so i start without a sword and it makes the improvised/stolen weapons of WW’s combat more relevant & fun

others ive looked at: the Paper Mario one seems neat, its one of many that can be modified into an “open world” version of the game that lets you progress anywhere as long as you have keys and upgrades

The Final Fantasy 1 rando is ridiculously full featured and lets you procedurally generate an overworld (or remove it altogether and make the game a chain of towns/dungeons), create new classes/equipment/spells, turn every NPC into a zombie etc.

(the mod to make the light warriors girls is again unrelated)

14 Likes

I’ve probably mentioned this before but one of my online buds is very into the LTTP randomizer/speedrun scene, regularly competing in the various tournaments and such (I think he once randomly finished top 4 in the big LttP/Super Metroid crossover randomizer tourney for that year). It is both amazing how in depth his knowledge about that one game is and all the random extra ramdomization stuff that gets tossed into these games in certain situations. Randomizing the actual dungeon keys is some real sicko shit.

4 Likes

The randomized title screen there is incredible. I really wish more randomizers did weird, silly things like that.

3 Likes

i think thats the seed name which is a rly neat way of displaying it!

forgive my curtain being there

i tried a regular story file and almost immediately got a mr baseball bat and could one-shot encounters on the field :stuck_out_tongue:

the second one there is the replacement for titanic ant and his two antoid guards (called “passive spirits” here the procgen names are pretty tight)

Best moment so far: when Buzz-Buzz got swatted and dropped to the ground, his sprite immediately turned into a bunch of bananas

The random music is a mixed bag, but it’s great when Paula’s theme ends up in a battle, or the dungeon man theme plays in Lier X. Agerate’s shack and the kraken theme plays in his treasure cave

3 Likes

regarding music randomization, apparently someone is working on a randomizer for CV:HoD that randomizes notes, rather than just shuffling song assignments:

(apologies for the streamer voice over the music)

it almost sounds like what haters think HoD sounds like

(from a cursory search i don’t think this is publicly available rn)

7 Likes

Sigma’s Randomizer for The Witness is outstanding, with an extremely difficult Expert mode

Current Expert Any% WR video (very much spoilers)

https://youtu.be/ha-zKoNREDs

(we haven’t watched this video in full, there’s parts of sigma expert we’re avoiding spoilers for)

1 Like

7 Likes

a couple buddies of mine are working on a music randomizer for Super Metroid

It was kinda rough earlier this week, but now it produces listenable stuff (as in, it’s modifying the data they intend it to) by way of transposition to randomized scales (I think).

There’s still some work to do — there are odd groups of notes here and there not being touched — but it’s kinda surprising how much it does touch. e.g. it mangles the escape alarm in an neat way, and the opening voiceover in a funny way.

(the HoD music rando guy was in chat for the stream i was watching (it’s a small internet lol))

5 Likes

Wind Waker without dungeons is such a proto Breath of the Wild it strengthens my personal theory that BotW is the true sequel and Toilet Paper/Secret Service were stepping stones to the open world Zelda they really wanted to make in 2002? christ im old

I rly want them (nintendo) to make another game in this style with this specific shading. There’s nothing like it. The HD remake blowing it out with bloom lighting was fucking criminal. Like ive mentioned u get the swift sail (moves 2x speed and changes wind to match your ships heading) by default in the randomizer and it immediately makes it better than vanilla or remake Wind Waker, the worst zelda game i love

6 Likes