Elden Ring 2

I haven’t gotten to that part yet, but can’t you use the sorcery that draws spells to counter mages, and hit them with your sword +XX? Preferably infused with an ice sorcery?

1 Like

I have never heard of that sorcery haha—but good advice! I’ll see if I can find it

Great idea in fact, you don’t even need sorcery.
Use shield’s AoW Thops’s Barrier, or Carian Retaliation to throw them back some magic swords to stagger them a bit if it can.

You might even get good results with making your shield have magic affinity… Just blocking might be enough, and then block counter when close to them.

edit: the AoW work like a parry I think.

1 Like

Now realizing the main reason I seem to have trouble with these kinds of enemies is that despite being at the very end of the game I haven’t found a single sorcery that’s good against magic users haha

1 Like

Another choise might be farming a bit for an Albinauric Shield.
Got one by luck and it has very decent magic reduction. I bet it would be a very viable choice as a +12 with some magic affinity.

Ha ha, what’s up fellow wizards? Just us witches and warlocks with our magical staves and high intelligence that we use to study the arcane arts, am I right?

OK actually I still stubbornly refuse rebirth, but I’m gonna stock up on sorceries just in case because there’s apparently so much game after burning the tree and ruining the vibe and I kinda hope one of the endings is “restore the vibe” so I don’t have to start a NG+.

2 Likes

The latest patch totally nerfed Bloody Slash so I need a whole new gameplan.

1 Like

i’m in the capital now and i believe i somehow managed to skip roughly half the game? is this a common experience?

3 Likes

I still find mimic sufficiently tanky—the new update stops it from basically soloing some bosses due to high damage output but as long as you distribute aggro well it’s still incredibly good. I used it on three end game bosses this morning

2 Likes

shouldn’t be, the capital doesn’t let you in unless you’ve killed at least two shardbearers

strength weapon update: the commander’s standard has high base physical damage & B strength scaling when upgraded and it’s unique skill boosts all attack and defense by 20% (!!) for yourself and anyone around you. spear R1s, overhead slam guard counter and wide swooping R2s, really loving it against mobs and bosses both on and off horseback at +9

9 Likes

Well, yesterday, I went and checked on the gatekeeper guy at the Godrick fight bonfire, and he was still there stomping on the head. Reloaded and he was gone. Reloaded again and went to check in the throne room where the no-combat icon was. Nothing. Today, I reloaded and went and checked in the throne room again and Nepheli, Kenneth and the Gatekeeper are all there. Nepheli gives you a +25 smithing stone, and the gatekeeper turns into a merchant and also happens to sell another +25 stone for 20k souls.

4 Likes

i’m kinda sad they’re going bungie and nerfing all this stuff

like what’s so egregious about the turtle shield

7 Likes

I think I got chased by a prehistoric giant ground sloth last night.

1 Like

I’d been using a Heavy Grande Epee for the spear R1 but the damage was increasingly underwhelming. I switched to Hoarfrost AoW this weekend which of course worked great, but I might try your suggestion now that they nerfed it.

Last night I was exploring the capital some more as part of my plan to find as many other things as possible to do before attempting to fight Radahn again.

My immediate goal was to find a way to reach the cave that the statue on the cliff is pointing at way down below. But instead I found something better, the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds area. One of my favorite things in Dark Souls is a dark, dirty, unwelcoming area underneath another area. It will make my day if there’s yet another area underneath this one, like what you find down the Majula hole.

I hope they didn’t make the Hoarfrost Stomp totally useless. I have definitely relied on that in difficult situations.

7 Likes

:innocent:

4 Likes

At the final boss and, man, I don’t want to do this. I’ve done this so many goddamn times already and I think I should get a lifetime pass.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one: The fight is tuned so there isn’t really any cheese or assist. You can use summon ash but they’re too stupid not to get command grabbed constantly and killed while the boss is in iframes the entire time. Attacks don’t do SO much damage but they’re spaced rhythmically so if one hits you you might as well just put the controller down because you are never getting control of your guy back—the game is now playing for you and you are not allowed to play anymore. Shields are a joke; you will get poise-broken immediately. Every single attack is dodge rollable; however, the timing is hugely variable and combos are often branching into multiple move sets.

I mean I guess I should have seen this coming, but it’s the DS3 boss, the Sekiro boss, Nightmare King Grimm from Hollow Knight. It’s not hard and there’s basically zero strategizing. It’s really just a matter of learning a boss pattern until you can approximately perfect the fight, which means—at the point where you have decided to finish and are emotionally done with the game—it only exists to waste your time.

Nightmare King Grimm and Sword Saint Isshin I basically both beat by playing for half an hour a day for 2-3 weeks. At that point I could do both fights damageless. That’s almost the entire duration I’ve been playing Elden Ring, but that’s how you have to do it because, you know, they just want to waste an inordinate amount of your time to get from basically finished to actually finished. It’s not fun; it’s a chore.

tl;dr: really the only problem with Elden Ring is that it’s 50% too long and the last bosses contribute to 30% of that problem

Edit: I’ve put my finger on the feeling here: they’re making me wrestle and pin the usher to leave the movie theatre. That’s what all these final bosses are like

7 Likes

that was exactly how I felt about the sekiro last boss.

here I just summoned help. malenia and the last boss were the only ones mimic tear wasn’t cutting it for.

2 Likes

I actually enjoyed the hell out of Ishin. One of my top 3 from all FromSoft games if I’m honest.
DS3 boss which I can’t even remember the game… No. It might be my least favorite boss in that game.

I guess Ishin for me was just a good culmination of what I learned through the game. In DS3 i guess for me Gael would be that… For the entire DS series.

1 Like