DooM

before:


after:

for context i showed the top screenshot to the quake mapping discord and everyone went “ew omg so many off-grid verts” so i went back over and cleaned it up. i’m actually kinda proud of how i’ve learned to stay on-grid while still making lots of organic shapes. i made this really nice rock arch thing too which is entirely on grid and looks p good imo.

7 Likes

Very neat! I am terrified of showing my off-grid brushes to that server :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Someone showed me this… boomer shooter… and it’s pretty fun. Mixes bits of Quake, Unreal, and Duke 3D. Good sense of humour and great janky sense of movement. I only played the first level of the demo so far but quite enjoyed it, though I’m not sold on the level design which was too large and meandering for me. Keen to keep going with the demo, though (and will probably buy it since it’s only $5)

1 Like

I finished the Zortch demo, and I’m here to say it slaps. Imagine someone making a game with the over-the-top nature and humour of Duke 3D (minus the sexism) in the Unreal engine (this isn’t the Unreal engine but has the same kind of wonderful loose feeling physics).

I was worried by the first level because it was so dark, big, and meandering (but still fun) and was concerned the game would only get more convoluted from there, but all the levels after it in the demo are much more focused, tighter, and brighter.

Very fun and satisfying weapons, a good variety of enemies, and said enemies are used well in the environments they’re placed in and in combination with other foes.

Definitely check out the generous demo. I just picked up the full game, since it’s only $5 USD.

Oh, it’s also fairly easy on the standard difficulty, so true doom murder heads may want to kick it up a notch or two.

edit: seriously this game owns

5 Likes

Finished the game! It’s only 20 levels long and I beat it after a little more than six hours (though there are custom maps which at the moment houses some cut content), but I enjoyed the whole thing and definitely recommend it (especially at $5).

I wish there were more levels using the outdoor aesthetic as it’s mostly Quake 2 style industrial designs, and there are a few levels I would consider filler (not bad levels, but very basic ones like Dead Simple) but overall, top notch stuff.

8 Likes

damn i just tried out the demo (you weren’t kidding; long!) and yeah the first level is sooooo big and maze-y and then all the subsequent levels are much clearer (although the exits are often kinda just… around), but the key thing which i’m very surprised that you didn’t mention is that the movement is really cool! you can do a boosted jump by kicking the ground when you jump, or lengthen your jump by kicking up into the air (a la rayman?), you can also run into a slide, and of course there’s rocket jumping. i’d be really keen to work out what this was made in and have a look at the character controller cos it feels like there’s a lot of interesting stuff going on under the hood.
also it’s a very nice shotgun, but i do kinda wish it was a little more wild and hefty. it feels kinda clean and predictable in a way that i think is appropriate for the default weapon, but i yearn for a more punchy, messy, loud shotgun.

4 Likes

also i cannot fucking believe some cunt is in the comments of this game being like “it should be free cos it’s unfair to people who don’t have USD” literally what the fuck on earth are you saying please fuck all the way off

5 Likes

I KNOW RIGHT, I was so close to commenting like “dude this is worth way more than $5 USD already”

As for why I didn’t mention the move set, I had no idea you could do most of those things lol. So much potential for different kind of levels.

I think the engine may be custom made? Not positive, though. Some of their earlier games look kinda like prototypes for this.

yeah i was also wondering if it were custom made, it looks kinda like it might be but it’s also so fully featured that i’d be surprised. not impossible though. especially if it’s a derivative of one of the old idtech engines or something.

Here are the credits, so I think it may indeed be custom made unless they didn’t mention it was based on something else:

yeah i just rummaged around in the directory and there’s a fully fledged map editor in there! it’s all BSPs! i reckon this is built, at least in part, upon old idtech stuff. kinda awesome that all these tools are just… in there.

1 Like

i wouldnt get too salty that person is like. 12 years old LOL

they got a key out of the dev by saying they had a youtube channel and its just all this

5 Likes

honestly i can’t parse what kind of age group that channel indicates but yeah i defs need to cool it a little; i’m a bit sensitive abt people asking for indie games to be cheaper. :ghost:

3 Likes
12 Likes

hell yeah, loved playing this on my phone back in the day

3 Likes
4 Likes

13 Likes


gotta finish this map before I get bored with it

7 Likes

if anyone wants to feel slightly overwhelmed i highly recommend opening trashbang’s level Amid a Fresh Carcass in the editor and looking at how she does naturalistic terrain without compromising VIS speed

outside:

inside:

:ghost:

5 Likes

have we discussed myhouse.wad yet?

if you don’t know anything about it, don’t spoil it for yourself, just download gzdoom and play it!

7 Likes