do we have a vr thread

cuz i got an oculus quest and am using it to play PC VR games and i wanna talk about it

yep!

1 Like

can you tell me more about this. is there any point to getting an oculus rift if the quest lets you play pc games

Oculus is by far the ecosystem I’d least want to be stuck to

2 Likes

So there are three methods that I am aware of that will let you connect the Quest to your PC, none of which are wired. All of these require having a VR capable PC (duh I guess) and a good wireless router.

The first, that I am using, requires an AMD card. It is mostly reliable, but there is a tiny bit of lag, and occasionally it gets choppy for no reason. It’s pretty damn good! But I do find myself slightly wobbly afterwards, even though I’m not prone to motion sickness. Totally useless if you’re not using an AMD card.

The second is to buy a program called Virtual Desktop for $20. It just basically works, though I had more problems with latency and also I couldn’t run any games at all?? So that was kind of a bust I guess.

The third is ALVR. It seems to work almost as good as the AMD solution…except I couldn’t get the controllers to work at all.

So they are all at least SORT OF fussy, AND if you are prone to motion sickness, it will mess you up bad I think. I would also say that action games probably don’t work SUPER well with these solutions, just because of that tiny bit of lag from the controllers.

So the reason to get an Oculus Rift is because it will work flawlessly, and not make you sick. I would rather have fussiness and no wires.

oculus questworld

Oculus Quest for Glory

Oculus Police Quest

Clearly you all mean Oculus Warrior in this region

2 Likes

still fascinated by the existence of this and the amount of weird care that seems to be put into it

Wakka VR

1 Like

more on par with my dodgeball experiences

1 Like

you know

we need a VR game, Do You Even Lift? about giving the best show about picking up increasingly huge objects

modeled body with IK-arms to your hands, as you accrue lift points you swole up

1 Like

someone once described my laugh as ‘THAT BITCH LAUGHS LIKE A SKELETON’ so im wondering what a skeleton laughing like a man would sound like

3 Likes

i would play this only if you can go WAYYY overboard in how much you lift/press so it can fall down and break your fucking bones. i wanna break my bones in vr doing all the things im tempted to break my bones with in the fleshzone!!! please let me act out every intrusive thought ive ever had!!!

1 Like

that would be awesome, you break your arm bones so that even as it’s trying to connect your forearm bone to your wrist bone it’s just hanging like taffy

how about rope physics – your physically-tracked hand is always connected to an arm connected to your body, but if you move it around solid game objects it starts stretching, and you can knot your arms up

1 Like

i just want to push back against incredible pressure until my bones snap thats all i want. legs and arms! neck too, why not

the rope thing would tempt me to tie actual physical ropes to the vr mitts so i could throw them further away and watch my arms spaghetti around while breaking all of someones equipment

1 Like

the initial reports over here in dev land involve how limited the headset actually is and apparently the hand tracking kinda sucks

which is going to be tough considering the game I’m working on right now is something like 120gb and they’re pitching something somehow bigger for the next project?

Using a Quest in wired mode with a PC? That’s too bad, the hand tracking will be really important once we get it super solid

we are v.r. troopers

3 Likes