Disgusting Activism: Maybe Help My Brother Not Die in a Ditch Please?

TL;DR: My brother is disabled, and there is a law being reviewed in the US that would massively improve his life. Please write to Congress (links below). Yes, it works.

Hey guys, I know I’m not around much anymore, and new people probably don’t even know who I am (how dare they), but there’s a law being considered in the US that would dramatically improve my older brother’s life. I know we don’t really do solicitation and calls for action on SB, but when I was thinking of communities to reach out to on this, I thought of your guys.

I think this law is already fairly popular, but I’m trying to get as many people as I can to contact their representatives to make sure this isn’t something that’s just pushed aside or killed by abstentions.

Below, I’m just going to reuse my FB post, because I’ve been contacting politicians and friends about his for hours and I’m tired. To be clear, I’m not part of some larger group or something. I believe there are some groups organizing petitions around this, so there likely are petitions you can join. But I don’t really know their efficacy.

Literally, this law is something that worries my brother and me every day, so hearing that it could be rectified–for us it’s like hearing that Medicare for All might get passed soon. Anyway, here’re the deets:

Guys, I need your help with something.

A member of my family has severe schizophrenia and can’t work regularly. He likes to work. He wants to work. But some days it could lead to severe panic attacks that would leave him in the hospital. He relies on disability checks to get by, but currently in the US, if you have more than $2,000 in assets, they cut off your disability. Last Christmas, they tried to cut him off, because he owns a car (even though the law explicitly excludes cars and houses). The effect is that you end up terrified of getting an official job, because you might be trading a guaranteed government check for a job that could be gone any day. So you work odd jobs and keep the money in cash, or you just…give up.

Until now. Maybe. It’s up to you. (Please help.) In the Senate and Congress they’ll soon be voting on the SSI Savings Penalty Elimination Act, which would raise the limit to $10,000 and increase it with inflation from then on. This would be massive. It would allow my family member to work a regular job, to save money, maybe to live independently.

Here’s how you can help: write to your state Senators and district Congressmen, using these websites:

https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm

https://ziplook.house.gov/htbin/findrep_house

Just this sentence is enought: “PLEASE vote YES for the SSI Savings Penalty Elimination Act, so the disabled can live with dignity.”

You might think Senators and Congresspeople don’t read this stuff. They do. They 100% do. Anyone who has worked in one of these offices will tell you that one of the basic jobs is to take phone calls and e-mails, tally how many are on a certain topic and whether they’re yes or no on the topic, then send it to the Senator/Congressman. Writing/calling is the MAIN way these people hear from their constituents. It’s the pulse of how they interpret public sentiment. This e-mail is more powerful than any vote for president you’ve ever cast.

[Note for SB: yes, you should do this for a ceasefire in Palestine as well, but do that in a separate message.]

So, thanks for reading this far, and seriously: please help.

30 Likes

this isn’t about throwing bags of poop, which i had every expectation of from the thread title

3 Likes

jesus godspeed. living on disability in AU is a little better but it’s still Damoclean, i wouldn’t wish it on anyone

2 Likes

Done, thank you for the links and wording that helps a lot.

3 Likes

Done. This is a good bill that should definitely be enacted–the limit caps have not been adjusted for inflation since 1984 and are way out of date. They should have been set up to adjust automatically, but that’s politics for you. ; P

2 Likes

i had already done this cuz the 2500 dollar limit is something thats been infuriating to me since i found out about it, and now im on disability and constantly terrified im gonna have too much. i have a fursuit i want to sell and its like a 5k fursuit and i just want to be able to have a little bit of fucking cushion money to save, but its just sitting in my closet because it’ll make me go double the money im allowed to have and what if they check my bank account? cuz they do that!

9 Likes

My brother keeps all his restaurant money in cash, but he’s doing Door Dash now, but he can’t even treat that like a part time job or he’ll go over.

Man, rarely is something this good actually a possibility in politics. If this loses because people forget to vote for it or some shit I’m gonna be crushed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I saw your post.

1 Like

Btw, thanks to everyone for writing in. This is actually more response than I expected.

I honestly think that with an issue as clear as this, simply acting as a reminder for senators/congresspeople is probably helpful.

3 Likes

its insane. the best solution is to just give it to someone who is very close to you as a gift that they can sell for cash that they’ll hold onto, which you will in no way share the money with at all, its all for them.

unrelated this would be nice. $10,000 is so much. imagine having that much money. wow.

4 Likes

tbh upon reflection i think i already wrote in on this issue a few months ago, but i suspect that it does good to do it again anyway. we want this shit!!

2 Likes

Done. Also going to cross post to Mastadon.

1 Like

I’m curious does this include income caps? Or just savings? Both of those are pretty big deals to me and I think I just see savings here.

1 Like

just savings, unfortunately

willing to bet very few members of congress grasp the rules for unearned/in-kind/deemed income enough to get how fucked they are

5 Likes

Yeah, I believe it was proposed in September, but it’s still to be voted on. Not sure if it’s scheduled currently, but from what I can tell, it’s still in the mix, and I heard about it from disability groups that were pushing for it currently. So I figure making a push now must make sense and no time like the present.

If I’m really ok my shit, I’ll revive this thread right before the vote.

3 Likes

Donezo thank you for the heads up, the links, and the verbiage

2 Likes