Devsporation

This is exactly what I am getting so anoyed about lately. You’re already writing the game off based on what?

The Red String Club is a good game, afaik, but I have never played it because waypoint ran a review that declared it problematic and transphobic. Turns out the reviewer was mad about a character being deadnamed, and when a dev reached out and said, ‘hey I’m trans and I did that for a reason and it wasn’t because I hate trans people’ the reviewer ran the quote in an article with a big transphobia content warning and editorialized ‘I don’t knooooow, it’s pretty bad to deadname!’

Like, dog piling is a pretty thin line, but it was a really bad take and I would think there would be some responsibility to not make the primary association of a trans dev’s game ‘oh, isn’t that game transphobic?’ (which is still what I think whenever I see the game on sale). And like, I know we’re all punching up at white dude like good little leftists, but I’m old enough and I’ve been around trans communities long enough and I remember when being declared cancled or problematic or toxic or abusive was a death sentence because it meant you were homeless without any community and I get iffy when I see it thrown around based on some real vague shit.

Also Danelle isn’t trans, or at least not out, so I do hope I’m misunderstanding what dogpile we’re talking about :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes