Decarnation šŸ“˜

Iā€™ve played through the first two chapters of Decarnation so far, and Iā€™m quite impressed. A lot of the music is by Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame and thereā€™s a nice steady sense of dread and disorientation.

Although the graphical style shows the gameā€™s RPG Maker roots in places, thereā€™s a level of detail and animation here that you donā€™t normally see in a game with that sort of style. (The final version was made with Unity.) And much of the detail and animation is devoted to horror imagery and general weirdness, which is always something I like to see.

As far as the challenge part of the game goes, there are some puzzles and occasionally QTE and simple rhythm game-type sequences, but fortunately the rhythm parts donā€™t make any difference in your progression or Iā€™d be stuck.

17 Likes

I finished the game. As the story went on and it became clear what was reality and what was part of a symbolic dream state, the weirdness kind of lost its edge and the pacing dragged a little at times. And by the end it didnā€™t seem like a horror game at all anymore (though it dealt with some unpleasant subject matter). But I still liked it, overall. Particularly the artwork and the animation.

Edit: One of my favorite pieces of artwork in this game is the smashed by a cake sprite.

decarnation_smashed_by_cake

4 Likes

thanks wourme for gifting me this!
finished it all in one sitting last night, so lengthwise, this is good!
i got curious about it cause people were talking about body horror, but my excitement about all that kinda waned while playing (although cage head is adorable), the architecture of the dreamspaces and pixel decorations got to be a bigger draw for me.

hereā€™s a sewer that i liked

otherwise i guess i miss some kind of viscerality or something, and the ā€œvideogameā€ sequences definitely dampened my hype. i almost groaned when i got to do a ā€œbossā€ that functioned like a game & watch game.

the writing was also kind of boring to me most of the time. maybe cause of the same stuff as above? i donā€™t know.

edit: i canā€™t ever remember the title unless its in front of me, if anyone ever asked what i was playing i would have had to tab out to look at steam

3 Likes