DARK UNIVERSE

Cinematic Universes kicking off in earnest.

This Tom Cruise vehicle comes out this Summer.

Bride of Frankenstein is next and due 2019, directed by Bill Condon.

This Mummy movie needs a whole lot more Brendan Frasier

4 Likes

I prefer his rendition because it was the only one of the three takes of the movie I’ve seen. I’m also of the opinion that it needs to be firmly set as a B-movie if it’s going to have strength to last past the year it was out.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion my definition of a B-movie has remained the same while the pop culture’s definition has progressed.

lol

Bride of Frankenstein before Frankenstein is weird, right? I can see ways to make it work, but it feels like an unusual path to take.

Huh, I did not even consider that this could be part of this whole new cinematic universe.

i wanted there to be more mummies in stuff, but not like this

I honestly legitimately love the two Fraser Mummy movies to the extent that this is actually making me angry. Well not angry. Disgusted.

They took a look at what DC and Marvel were doing with building cinematic universes with varying levels of critical success and near guaranteed profit stream year-over-year and thought “We could do that! What do we have in our roster? Monsters? People love monster movies!” and kludged something together to spark it off.

Except they forgot to build a story underneath that people would want to see more of. They got wrapped up in world building, similar to the current?? trend of pop fantasy books.

EDIT: And it’s only now I realize this wasn’t current. D:

that Dark Universe trailer almost makes me wish they’d just release those old ones with a decent transfer in theaters, seems like decent counter programming to me

I liked Cruise’s Mummy and I was sad that this Dark Universe madness was ended. /all