Dark Souls 3 Die Already

Bloodborne has an almost inverted difficulty curve in that I had much more trouble early on than I did at any other point in the game. Some of the late bosses I beat on the first few attempts and I think the first boss I came across killed me at least a couple dozen times. I was at times demoralized early on due to this, but once I got over that hump it went much better.

Definitely agree with this sentiment. Gascoigne in particular is very much a wall.

Actually, I find this is true in general among Souls games.

Theoretically this could be accomplished on the right analog stick, like EA’s passion from Fight Night 3 through the mid-00s.

I’ve never been comfortable with this system, though, with the unwanted camera movement or physical movement in the Jedi Knight implementation, and it’s the thing that makes Mount and Blade almost impossible for me to play. I wonder if I’d be happy with a camera lock key to engage ‘attack feed’ mode.

There’s another issue where the attack can’t start until it registers the full movement, which means it delays attack starts. Since Mount and Blade is trying to simulate the inertial movement as well with its mouse movement it’s a fair tradeoff but in practice it feels like noodle arms to me.

2 Likes

But like, the strength of the blow depends on the quality of your swipe. The swipe speed is added to your movement speed and enemy bodies have logical strong and weak points. There’s some lagginess and indirection, sure, but there’s beautifully little abstraction in Mount and Blade.

What I’m saying is, pulling off a perfect cut to the neck from full gallop is fucken sweet

It makes sense! and it’s a logical translation of a difficult gestural skill into a similar output. Those downsides, though; I haven’t been able to cope every time I’ve approached Mount and Blade.

1 Like

though also practically the three hardest bosses in the whole series period are in the expansion

1 Like

Thinking back I was Ludwig, definitely Kos and…well the clocktower’s isn’t so bad?

But Laurence. Damn what a magma ass.

1 Like

Is Iudex Gundyr supposed to teach you anything besides “you’re going to die a lot” and “fuck you”? i know those were elements of previous tutorial bosses in this series but there was obviously more going on with them

Edit: this is a sincere question, I really want to know if anyone has insight as to what From was going for. Vanguard taught that “you are going to die a lot your first time through” (and rewarded the player for coming back with greater knowledge) and asylum demon taught “getting a more powerful weapon and coming back later is the key to victory” and i like to think From didn’t just forget how to design tutorials intelligently after that

Best guess is that they wanted players to learn and abuse weapon arts, but they’re so situational. maybe the devs thought they’d be more useful

yeah I was super turned off by the whole framing of that tutorial area, like “OK here’s your souls game again!” but it does get better from there

If I had to guess, I’d wager there was some thought towards “make sure the first boss has two phases as we are gonna do that a ton this game”.

I think he was kind of a grab bag. Yeah, the two phase thing. But also, even though you may have a shield, you should dodge his first phase attacks. And second phase you can just sorta hug him. Which isn’t a thing in a lot of game boss fights, outside of Souls and DMC.

Also, he is really vulnerable to fire. So, ye old firebomb trick still applies. And the pyromancer of course has an easy time.

So after two years I finally progressed past cathedral of the deep and actually finished a play through. it’s a pretty good game and I will play it some more. I think the midpoint of catacombs of carthus is the precise point where the world design actually gets pretty good (although farron keep has a lot of neat lore touches, fuck swamps) and irithyll is an especially nice area. Having gone on a souls tear since remastered came out I think DaS 3 easily has the worst early game in the series and high wall of lothric is a complete drag.

2 Likes

the dlc (especially the ringed city) is the best of it, so don’t pass that up imo.

I barely started Ashes and therefore never moved along to Ringed City. Both sound really solid as punctuation to the series but as much as I played (and really like) 3, it feels muddled in the slipstream by now and I expect some level of recent familiarity with the core game for them to resonate best.

If I load up my game to access them now, 3’s scope will probably come back to mind quickly. I might even just start a ng or + but it all sounds like such an undertaking. Never thought I’d be hesitating to return!

2 Likes

that diplo content

6 Likes

I’m happy to see this brought to mainstream. It’s been getting steadily worse since Dark 1 and, judging by the article comments, the audience hasn’t been exposed to this normal human being viewpoint.

I was hoping diplo’d have an analysis of how the game systems cause this/can be fixed rather than a purely descriptive bit but the answer’s not far off the problems all online games deal with in their community; it’s not a solved problem.

1 Like

diplo come home

2 Likes

There really isn’t much a way to solve it, as the problem is in the English language. I.E. chest/chest, two hands being a game mechanic, etc.
At best, I suppose they could deactivate messages or certain words, in immediate area of potential targets. But that’s about it.

Yeah I think it’d be pretty tech bro-y to think that there was some kind of systems design solution to this problem. The problem is the people.

1 Like