Dark Souls 3 Die Already

I hope Bloodborne 2 is either a pirate game or western or something, with minimal reference to the original. That’s kinda the only real avenue they could take with the theme that would make it feel worth revisiting

Might be on to something re: Nautical themed there.

don’t you… have an NDA or something?

anyway yeah my enjoyment of ds3 was hampered by the constant retreading of the LORE. like they went out of their way to be like “oh hey we got all your favs like ONION BRO and ANOR LONDO” and it started to feel like greatest hits album in the worst possible ways

and yes i get that the games are supposed to about the cyclical nature of stuff but i wish they had less to do with each other

gonna put a real hot take here: these games don’t have good or novel stories. they have great presentation and atmosphere which allow you to take the leaves of narrative fragments and use closure to fill in the gaps along with your direct experience in retreading these places where the catastrophe has already occurred and make your own interpretation. actually this take isn’t that hot. it’s what people liked about these games in the beginning!

7 Likes

the dlc with the ringed city and gael and filianore, the painter, etc… that’s the good stuff, imo.

Yeah but not about this, these games have been out forever.

If you meant my BB2 comment, I was just saying I think that’d be cool while being able to continue the Lovecraft theme and not have it get stale; I know absolutely null about BB2 specifics beyond the fact that it’s being made.

I had nothing to do with BB1 either; I got to talk to Miyazaki about it at E3 but this was at a press demo for Dark Souls 3. I wasn’t working for Namco at that point, I just knew the woman giving the presentation from before and she took me backstage to say hi to everyone. That’s where I wound up getting to ask him a bunch of just straight up fan questions that I’d never gotten to at work, and that’s where I got these answers from.

1 Like

i am enjoying these fresh posts and i appreciate sb getting the world exclusive reveal

however the idea that anyone here gives a shit about vaati’s subscription count is hilarious

3 Likes

Do we not like Vaati anymore or something?

Either way, I brought that up to indicate that there are people out there who will happily watch many hour-plus deep dives into Dark Souls lore minutiae, and it’s something a sizeable chunk of the people who like these games genuinely enjoy about them, that’s all.

2 Likes

World Premiere

2 Likes

It would appear the internet has known about this for a while so I dunno about gettin’ those World Premiere hopes up too much.

Premium Content

1 Like

idk about anybody else but i stopped caring about vaati like 5 years ago? haven’t been interested in any of the souls content generators™ on youtube in years, really. just bring back weird Garo-themed pvp vids by random people we can’t name or whatever and i’m good.

I think the hype around the lore in general has died off for a while now and we’re all talking about a vanishingly-relevant topic anyway, so I mean, eh. But Vaati was a really cool dude and I enjoyed getting to talk to him quite a bit. You really do not get to have nerd-out lore sessions at work. In fact, that and occasional OT smoke breaks with another lead are the only time I can even remember doing that at work.

This is honestly the only reason I still care about it, and I’m definitely an edge case. There’s games that are just as interesting that I’ve forgotten about because I didn’t have this level of personal investiture in them. I’m not surprised most other folks are getting about tired of it by now, I think even FromSoft has been for a while now.

Which is to say, I hope BB2 is a serious evolution. I like and hope they keep Lovecraft but I’d be okay with it taking a way harder slant into Otogi territory or something.

1 Like

In fact, here: I love me some 'Souls games, but I will trade Bloodborne 2 for Otogi 3 without hesitation.

(doesn’t mean i don’t want BB2 but right now i’d so take another Otogi)

3 Likes

from should just get in touch with Greg Stafford and make an official Glorantha/Runequest Souls-like

The few fleeting references to Glorantha in the first Dark Souls are not enough for me, I want to visit the River of Giants’ Cradles in a video game!

Actually here’s a valid question I guess:

Are people curious about the actual oral history of the series from someone who was there for a chunk of it? Because I could totally write that and attempt to make it interesting as a breakway from this and make it its own thing on a not-front-facing board.

Here’s the things I can’t talk about: Anything I actually did involving the work, anything I saw that was unreleased and unrelated and isn’t already known (note: this is like zero things), anything else that’d give away some kind of trade secret, like knowledge of an upcoming game. Again, besides BB2 which is already leaked, I got nothin’ anywhere here.

What I can talk about: What a lot of the ideas were for the series, where a lot of stuff comes from, and anything I discussed casually with the team or people around it after I quit Namco and they just told me while I was “off the clock”, which is a surprisingly large amount of stuff. I had access to stuff like this because I knew folks and kept going to these events so I got to hang out with them.

So, like, I can’t link you to a copy of the Dark Souls 2 E3 demo even though that was 100% my purview at the time, but I can absolutely talk about where they got the ideas for the game in the first place, what people on the design team have talked about in terms of how they think about things and balance considerations, and sort of how the story came together.

All of this (or like 99.5% of it) is already known if you feel like looking for it, so it’d just be “As I Remember It” and you’d kinda just have that to go on, but if it’d interest people here, sure?

13 Likes

Isn’t Sekiro gonna be close enough to an Otogi 3

I don’t see any airdashing and fully destructible architecture in the trailer but

1 Like

I’m often more interested in the process of something rather than the finished product, so I’m very eager to hear some inside stories

I mostly just want to know what the deal is with that dead giant in DS2 with the totally different face from the others

2 Likes

yeah i dunno this one just might not be for me. im hesitant to judge it inferior and assuming i just don’t know how to play it very well because i ended up coming around on 2 so hard, but all the delayed-swing 6-hit combos bosses and enemies have are very tedious to learn, and there’s so little leeway to make mistakes. it’s a shame to feel left behind by a series i love so much, i hope Sekiro is difficult in more interesting ways

edit: oh my god when am i supposed to be able to attack Sulyvahn?? this game does a miserably bad job of communicating safe spaces between attacks

how on earth do you play this with a heavy weapon

i meant to ask, what was your favorite weapon?