dangerous christmas

10 Likes

wonderful topic, thanks for that.

as a resident Irem-PS2-era-fanboy, I obviously couldn’t not play this back when it came out. Some nice SB-fellow helped me get this game iirc … and I did write about it somewhere on SB, especially the driving the Taxi-bit.

i will try to hook up my PS2 and post a picture of my appropriately dressed "hero" character, if i still have the save-file around. #fingersCrossed

I never finished Raw Danger but it was always satisfying/weird from what I did play.

1 Like

I remember a SB thread around the time that the English/blond localization came out. The game was only $15 new.

It’s hard to top a low-budget but highly-ambitious Irem adventure game. You can’t go wrong with any Irem title, really.

The original Disaster Report is also good, though I remember getting stuck on the stadium part for a while in that one.

1 Like

I love this game. The atmosphere and the rain is so great. Being completely drenched then making it to a fire or heat source is like Souls bonfire level relief, but way more comfy! I want more games to do the thing that Raw Danger does where there’s a whole bunch of different characters who sometimes never meet, but through seemingly inconsequential actions can greatly impact another character’s playthrough later on.

2 Likes

[quote=“swarm, post:5, topic:366, full:true”]I want more games to do the thing that Raw Danger does where there’s a whole bunch of different characters who sometimes never meet, but through seemingly inconsequential actions can greatly impact another character’s playthrough later on.
[/quote]
yeah, i did like the characters that you meet in the latter storyline(s) (there are five of them iirc, for those who haven’t played it yet) - especially if you have, say, about half a year or so between runs. Then you suddenly come across some dork that dresses like … idk, a weirdo? and that’s putting it nicely… and after he has left, you suddenly realize … "hey … was that me in my first run?"
loading the save of your first playthrough … uh … indeed …

[quote=“wourme, post:4, topic:366, full:true”]It’s hard to top a low-budget but highly-ambitious Irem adventure game. You can’t go wrong with any Irem title, really.

The original Disaster Report is also good, though I remember getting stuck on the stadium part for a while in that one.
[/quote]
true and true. i think i had some discussion about this with toll, probably in the axe. the gist of it was whether these games (the irem PS2-era titles) would have worked if they were technically “perfect”, as in AAA-level of polish. I am still a firm believer that technically perfect games would have taken some of the charm away from these games

1 Like

and everyone that has played this game deserves at least one bloodpotion for that. i get all nostalgic itt ~~~

Well those voices are in the Japanese version too, so aren’t a localisation thing.

I still haven't finished my second playthrough of *Raw Danger*. My first one was spaced over a couple of years, and I always found it easy enouh to pop back into. Looking forward to nice surprises if I left my future selves any items.

‘Playing dressup in the rain in an abadoned city’ is one of my favourite genres.

1 Like

I’ve had this game for years and years without ever playing it. Not sure why, considering I thoroughly enjoyed the original ZZT

Thank god, I still have the save-file. Alas, here’s the dork I came across at one point in the game:

Good question, sir/lady(?) …

1 Like

That’s just how I imagined you look IRL FYI

1 Like

1 Like

you knew?!?!

(p.s.: and that guy in the bathroom had better days for sure …)

I kinda feel like playing this game and taking over liveposting this thread, but I don’t have a PS2 hooked up anywhere and I don’t even have a physical drive of any sort on my computer to run the game emulated. someone give me an ISO link, stat.

wow I found one in three seconds. god bless the internet.

This game has been sitting on my kitchen table for longer than I care to admit, but I think this thread has convinced me to play it immediately, given that it’s xmas time. I’ve been playing modern adventure games lately with my time off from work, so I am in the spirit to experience Raw Danger during my xmas break.

I was playing around with this game a little yesterday in an emulator. Aside from the slowdown (which made some of the dialogue in the cut scenes kind of amusing), I found that some parts were a mess, graphically. I couldn’t find the right combination of settings that would make the game run properly.

That said, I also just learned all about how to import, export, and convert PS2 save files. Which will make it easy to take screenshot tours through some of my favorite games, something I have been wanting to do.

1 Like

like wourme, I ran into a bunch of issues trying to make this game playable emulated. I found some video fixes, though! It’s not perfect and the sound still fucks up a lot, but it’s playable.

The first thing I did when the game started was yell across the room I was in. My boss yelled at me and told me to stop. 10/10 intro.

The first ten minutes of this game are great because you play a waiter simulator. You get to make Important Life Choices such as “do I give the mayor some water, or do I help this chick find her contact lens?” I thought about that decision at least twice as hard as I thought about whether or not to kill children in Bioshock.

I picked up my backpack and everyone is like dude why the fuck do you have a backpack on. THEN THE WORLD EXPLODES AND IM LIKE WHO HAS THE LAST LAUGH NOW ASSHOLES

You’re a waiter for a very Fancy and Important event and when you check your inventory you have “cheap shoes” equipped I thought that was great.

There is a HUG option in the main menu this is a very promising development. I tried to hug a cart and it didn’t work :frowning:

3 Likes

yeah if it’s anything like disaster report it just runs like shit as a general thing, but there’s a difference between “running like shit” and “running under the internal logic of an actual nightmare,” which was the case before any fixes. it’s apparently a bit of a problem game for PCSX2 because of some postprocessing shit is uses or something. most of the sound problems are probably me just not knowing anything about emulation, so I’ll probably find a way to fix some of that shit too at some point.