Culdcept

I played about 2 hours of the PS2 Culdcept a few years ago while greened out and tired, and I remember it being one of the most relaxing times I’ve had playing a video game. One of the many games I’ve been meaning to go back to. I might have to check out Revolt.

3 Likes

I love that I’m playing a culdcept again but it still has the problems of being a culdcept game. At first running one game takes a good while. About 45 to 90 minutes have been my average game lengths. Hope you get lucky and get some cards that have the ability to stop anyone if they move over the space. It helps pick the pace up if you can fortify that creature/space and start robbing them blind. Also wish AI turns would go faster. There are options to speed it up but it’s still a patience pusher for me. One annoying Menu/UI issue I have is you can use the second screen to see the contents of other players cards but you can’t examine them at all to check their numbers which is annoying when you’re trying to math up your odds when deciding to attack a space.

Due to the length of these games I wouldn’t expect much of a population online outside of planned rooms with friends but they like to give you card I think everyday you get on and check. Like any game on portable at this point, it’s a shame its not on the switch or PS4 so I could take to friends places to sell them on it and start having crazy game nights.

There are a few differences from the PS2 game. You can now territory control any monster you have on the board after you pass a checkpoint. I think in the PS2 game you had to at least walk past them on your current roll. There doesn’t seem to be any support bonus for having your monsters next to each other on the board. You roll two dice now instead of one which seems to help you from getting so many terrible rolls like in the PS2 game. Otherwise a lot of the same cards still here with alot of the same art.

1 Like

It’s weird because Revolt is their second crack at it on 3DS; I played through the entire first 3DS game on a flight back from Japan years ago and remember being rather disappointed that it was no different from the PS2 game (even the campaign was identical). I never ended up getting Revolt because the JP Used prices were too high for what I assumed was going to be largely recycled, and it seems like I may have made the right call.

The campaign is different and you now earn gold from completing campaign maps to buy booster packs instead of random card drops in the PS2 game. I haven’t gotten far enough but apparently there’s an EVO mechanic where you get some kind of fragments that allow you to alter cards in some fashion. Not sure how I feel about this because that would make the meta even wider. Not that it’d be that big a problem with such a small player base with no competitive spring board.