Cover the Covers: Akira Toriyama

We all love Akira Toriyama’s art, right? Especially the cover art where he draws a bunch of chibi vehicles, dinosaurs and whatnot. I had so much fun creating my Toriyama-riffing gift for Secret Santa (hi @sleepysmiles) that I would like to do some more. But I don’t want to do it alone. In this place, I’m surrounded by people who have so much creative juice that they are perspiring.

Take a gander at Toriyama’s cover art and find one that speaks to you. Do whatever you want to make it your own. I’ll start with this rendition of Dragon Ball #13. I was listening to Radiohead as I do every few months, so Thom Yorke’s mug came to mind. I feel simpatico with the man’s eyelid droop. I hope mine gets that severe as I age.

23 Likes

Oh I want to try to do this, posting to bookmark for later…

1 Like

I misread the prompt and drew a person in a little car instead of doing a specific cover. And this is what it would look like if Thom Yorke met Kirby.

16 Likes

No, this is absolutely perfect. The cover prompt is a nudge for people like me who work from sources. What you drew is a cover for a volume that just hasn’t been written yet.

2 Likes

Is there a good place to look at a whole bunch of Toriyama covers?

1 Like

I know of places but not necessarily good places for seeing it all in high resolution.

3 Likes

I made a rule for myself not to lift the pen and now my hand kinda hurts.

20 Likes

this was really fun to draw. great idea

i love how meticulous Toriyama is with mechanical details like suspension. and also the foreshortening. Drawing a car at this angle is so hard to do!

15 Likes

You were at the front of my mind when I thought of it!

4 Likes

aw shoot :>

3 Likes

I liked the animals hanging on the car so much, I added more to the frame. I’m not considering this finished until I try to give it a watercolor wash, but I realized tonight that I don’t have brushes or watercolor paint in my apartment…Enjoy this version before it gets mutated into something else.

18 Likes

I tried to make a Toriyama van but it wound up looking like a Minion. The blushing parking lights helped just a little. I gotta say I think I hate sculpey. It’s this awkward middle ground between the sagginess of play-doh and the smeariness of modeling clay. I tried to roll a little ball in my hands and it just disintegrated into yellow paint. Failure is just as valuable as success.

13 Likes

awww i love the minion van!

i will explore this prompt later but just wanted to gush about how wonderful Toriyama cars & machines are, they are exactly how i want to draw vehicles, so pleasantly shaped and compact and the characters always look so natural driving them!! (And they look good while riding big chocobo like dinosaur critters too! he also loves drawing that. And he’s good at drawin dinos!!)

That and his fashions are the most underrated aspects of his style, i love how many of his covers and one shot illustrations are his OCs driving/riding somewhere, dripped the fuck out

Thank u so much for gracing me with Skids the Skunk, minty they have a place of honor on my fridge :slight_smile:

11 Likes

It’s been over a week and I’d like to update. Still working on my watercolor!

18 Likes

rip to a real one

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816/photo/1

6 Likes

damn…

5 Likes

His art brought me true joy from childhood to adulthood. An amazing talent that I’d like to learn from.

10 Likes

these are so fun to draw I wanted to do another one. he’s the master of foreshortening. drawing a car, head on, that is 99% curves like the shelby cobra, with so few lines, is so good. I thought this was going to be simple but no not actually.

15 Likes

This rules so hard. I love how much of your style is foregrounded in the homage.

4 Likes

great expressions

1 Like