Console Modding - let the lame tuning begin

oh boy

psio clones are flooding aliexpress now

1 Like

I’ve had pretty decent success with SMB shares using OPL. Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero glitched out on me and the roads disappeared once though.

PSIO looks great, but my PS1 doesn’t have an I/O port. I think the combo of PSIO and that HDMI mod would make for a pretty awesome modded PS1. Too bad I don’t have the skill for the HDMI mod.

1 Like

TXR0 and i believe TXR3 will do that if you pause long enough! even from my HDD. the road usually reappeared after 10s or so though

1 Like

there are two main options for SATA in PS2

1. buy a SATA network adapter, but forego network support. the new SATA network adapters dropped ethernet support
  2. upgrade an OEM network adapter with the IDE-to-SATA upgrade kit — this retains network support
1 Like

Installed my GC Loader today. Loads so fast I don’t get the cute GCN startup jingle anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

i believe this setting in swiss corrects that. save settings to an sdgecko or sd2sp2

1 Like

@meauxdal thanks for this excellent post, it has made me so excited to finish modding my GameCube with HDMI out

1 Like

Gonna FK around and get one of the Genesis flash carts that supports SegaCD games. Either the Mega Everdrive Pro or the one Terraonion makes. Which one is better?

1 Like

good overview

mega sd - better menus w/ thumbnail support
mega everdrive pro - proven track record of support and community enhancements, smaller footprint, relatively limited fpga-based NES emulator as a bonus, cheaper

3 Likes

I do like that Krikzz is much more open about firmware updates and whatnot. You don’t have to register your device with a serial number, etc. Also, he seems to support his products forever!

1 Like

random important info:

sharpscale on Vita/PSTV does not play nice with l o l i c o n (the overclocking plugin for vita/pstv) when playing ps1 games. disable it from your tai/config.txt before playing ps1 games or you WILL crash eventually, even if your clocks are set to stock

2 Likes

TerraOnion MODE was really easy to install. Here’s a few bits of media from my process:

The Saturn motherboard is so simple! There’s no heatsink nor fan either:

Most of my games are on a MicroSD card, but I added a USB extension cable for firmware updates and maybe additional games at a later date:

Very blurry video of firmware update from a USB device:

Proof that it works! A phone pic of Darius 2.

Thoughts:

-The install really is pretty easy at least on this 21 pin Saturn. I hate messing with ribbon cables and flimsy little connectors, but I had no trouble.

-My Saturn had additional stuff I had to remove (like the power button assembly) that wasn’t mentioned or shown at all in the instructions, but it was really easy to figure out.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Someone needs to make a handheld CRT Gameboy Advance. Ideally it would weight around 10lbs or more!

6 Likes

Super lazy person’s quick PS2 mod guide:

5 Likes

looking good! please share pictures/screenshots once it is done!!

for reference for anyone going this route, the recent development of freedvdboot renders having to buy/otherwise source a freemcboot-modified memory card obsolete - since freedvdboot can boot homebrew from a regular dvd, if you can burn a dvd, you can create your own fmcb memory card. still, they are cheap and convenient and you get a memory card with it so it’s not like it’s a bad option to pick one up, especially if you don’t have any way to burn a dvd

2 Likes

me rn

never buy another cart

3 Likes

what game is that, can anyone identify it?

Looks like SF2?

1 Like

I have a slim ps2 and a memory card with an old version (1.8) of free mcboot on it, what’s my best option for playing arbitrary games?