Concepts in Alternative Television

i unfortunately haven’t been able to find any footage, but there’s apparently a tv channel in current day russia that uses a hammer and sickle as its logo, and is dedicated to nostagia for the soviet union

2 Likes

Ironically, the audience pining for those days is the same old conservatives that form the MAGA and Brexit demographics.

Well, given what the USSR was, maybe it’s not that ironic.

1 Like

When visiting Berlin last year I was introduced to the term “Ostalgie”

1 Like

i haven’t heard this term before, but i read an interview with rammstein a while ago where they talked about how much better things were when they were kids in east germany

1 Like

Yeah because they weren’t on fire and walking on treadmills for two hours straight back then

6 Likes

Oh this explains who the target audience for ESSR (ENSV) are, speaking of TV shows

1 Like

Sadly this is apparently not real. But it’s really well done!

update: cheers to @wonder_momo for making me aware of astronaut.io

2 Likes

that dude who was streaming rotting meat is streaming a dude on his back puking in forward and reverse and shows no signs of stopping

i tweeted it cuz i couldn’t upload the video right into the thread

415 hours of 8mm film from the german democratic republic qualifies for this thread maybe

8 Likes

It definitely qualifies! This is fascinating footage, and the way the archives is presenting it is quite innovative. My archivist girlfriend and I were pretty into it. I especially recommend watching some of the videos in the Stories section. They showed the home movies to the people who shot them, and let them narrate them. In the two we watched, the narrators pointed out problems with life in East Germany, but then immediately said it’s just as bad or worse in Germany now. Pretty interesting stuff, to see the eastern bloc from the perspective of an ordinary resident.

3 Likes

more ancient anime tv listings, this time from the phillippines in 1999

of course voltes v and daimos are in a prime 7-8pm slot

TVK’s Sento Monogatari is a 3-minute program they occasionally pull out to neatly wrap up an uneven hour of programming on the network. Each episode is a super-chill relaxing tour of various onsen/sento facilities in Kanagawa prefecture. I loved this when I first caught it live on television but it recently came to my attention that you can watch them (all?) on the channel’s YouTube channel as well.

I’ve got a cold right now and I’m thinking about how much nicer it would be to be in any of these than it is to be shivering in bed

4 Likes

brookside was a soap that ran on british tv in the 80s and 90s, famous for its murder storyline, and for having the first lesbian kiss on uk tv (i thinnk?)

anyway, the magic rabbits was a fake tv show that was made specifically to be played on tvs characters were watching on brookside so the producers didn’t have to pay for the rights to anything. here’s 14 minutes of it

7 Likes

My gf and I got really stoned the other day and tried to see if there were any decades-old local news broadcasts from our hometowns uploaded to YouTube. We didn’t turn anything up, but we did stumble upon a true gem: an early-80’s show called Time Capsule that ran on the Des Moines local station KCCI TV-8.

The episode we watched was a self-portrait – the station’s newsroom filmed themselves and created a short documentary about their daily process, struggles, and philosophy.

The employees interviewed were remarkably honest and forthright about rather vulnerable topics. There’s a pretty intense sequence were a reporter talks about how he deals with visiting sites of grisly car accidents as part of his job.

They also left in some interview audio that I can not BELIEVE they didn’t cut. One sequence in particular had us howling with laughter, first in disbelief that this is what directing live news looked like in 1980, and then in shock at the rambling soundclip that follows. The director, completely unbidden, talks about his anger issues, how there had been serious incidents in the past but he still loves (SPECIFIC NAMED EMPLOYEES), and maybe it was actually good that he was angry, and also btw he used to work on a farm “but that has nothing to do with TV,” then an awkward pause before the show continues.

I’ve queued that bit up here. Watch this man sit at a big high table and conduct the news like an orchestra by shouting into a microphone, and then enjoy his aimless, self-incriminating rambling.

8 Likes

this is incredible

the interview with the anchor that follows that weird part is also really good, he says he doesn’t like to know what’s happening before he reads the scripts, and also wonders about whether it is important for people to know about the news

3 Likes

Everyone is so weirdly galaxy-brained thoughtful and overly honest in this video, it’s so good.

1 Like

“what the public needs to know and what they want to know are closer together now than at any point in history” is a masterpiece of a take

8 Likes
4 Likes