compelling trash action

samurai western

1 Like

demon chaos 65535 enemies mode is a hoot, i think @dylan and @la_ciel and i all played it together?? iirc we couldnā€™t kill 65535 enemies

4 Likes

i have a real soft spot for anarchy reignsā€™ single player, which is mostly you running around converted multiplayer trash maps grinding points so you can fight the iconic cast

2 Likes

think about this fairly often
1 Like

3D Beat em and Eat em that i mostly remember playing the demo for repeatedly because it felt really good to blow up a car with a rocket launcher. it wasnā€™t bad though, lots of weapons you can pick up. kind of a lower budget die hard arcade without the qtes

4 Likes

ah, that slice through bamboo is so satisfying

Gackt_-_Bujingai_CM

8 Likes

while godhand rises above the trash threshold i argue nier does not (i love nier) and is perhaps top of the pile

that god damn ā€˜thwokā€™ accompanied by controller feedback sends a shiver up my spine with sense memory of impact travelling up my arm from wood in hand striking something too hardā€¦ ruler and school desk leg? hockey stick and street goal post? i donā€™t know but it was like 15 years ago and i recall it with perfect clarity. distressing.

5 Likes

Bujingai has levels where you maybe, and maybe not, but maybe are able to complete an entire stage with aircombos and air dashes and never touch the ground.

A forward dash that has lift, but also dips down a little in the middle, is the absolute most satisfying form of movement.

Samurai Western is some proper trash action. it is somehow possible to play the game with all instant kills and never getting hit, to die in a single hit, or to mash it out and take as many hits as you get, all on the same levels. Featuring the same model replacement and accessory scaling customization as Way of the Samurai.

4 Likes

gungrave overdose looks extremely confident both mechanically and artistically, to a point where it almost feels like it has escaped trash-hood, but its actual play loop is so harsh and flailing that i feel like it qualifies. also itā€™s a third-person-shooter with lock-on and tank-controls so it already lives deep inside my heart.
and nano breakers is immediately the exact kind of game i was hoping for. i wanna play it so bad it looks incredible.

(longplays for those interested):

• gungrave: overdose
  • gungrave (2002 original)

^^^(the original gungrave has nowhere near the wild artistic flair that its sequel does but i feel like it maybe also belongs itt)
3 Likes

bangai-o spirits is so good and strange and it feels tight and simple and considered. to me it feels like itā€™s so good that it expects me to be better at playing it than i am, and thatā€™s why it can come across as awkward at times.
on the other hand it does have that weird art direction and that penchant for blowing up its sprites super huge, and the levels can be really big and meandering and stupid at times. but when u reflect all the projectiles back and the ds just kinda chokes down to like a frame a second, thatā€™s beautiful.

4 Likes

bujingai so nearly made it onto my original list, but i havenā€™t played a lot of it (even tho i own a darned copy) and i kinda assumed it was like, too good to be trash? also the inclusion of gackt as a protag face kinda gives it an expensive vibe (not a disqualifier in itself, but it deterred my further investigation). however the 7.5/10 scores on the wiki, and the critiques of ā€œpoor jumping mechanics, dull level designs, and a weak plotā€ are exactly what iā€™m looking for.

3 Likes

My understanding of the plot of Bujingai is that Gackt comes from space to Kill That Guy. Eventually, after returning to space, he Kills That Guy. He then travels to Earth, presumably because he has returned to the start of the game again and must again Kill That Guy.

We should be so lucky to have game plots that confident.

2 Likes

sth about dmc being part of a giant tripple-A trash-lineage kinda retroactively disqualified it for me (even tho i have never played it), but i watched a longplay and yeah looks like hot garbage iā€™d hang the heck out with just try an stop me. also if pn03 can be on this list ā€“ it being a child of platinumgames trying things out on their way to making bayonetta ā€“ then i feel like dmc can too.

1 Like

shinobi ps2 feels pretty trashy to me. definitely compared to its contemporaries in ninja action. an entire game about a scarf? sure :scarf:

itā€™s also incredible

the sequel is even better

3 Likes

Yeah, the thing about DMC is that even though it has a lineage, Capcom didnā€™t really treat it like AAA worth investing in till 3. So the first game is this hilarious pile of leftovers from a cancelled version of RE4 that somehow works, but the second is clearly a rushed job trying to capitalize on the first selling so well with little to no consideration of what works. It included an entire second playable character who is never really referenced in the series again. The combat is weird as hell and way too easy to feel good. Itā€™s a really strange game and not good. The third game is, again, where Capcom decided to actually invest a bit in the seires and it shows by being a much more interesting game overall.

But yeah, 2 is some total trash, but enjoyable (DIesel jeans tie in and all).

Nanobreaker 100% belongs on this list and I have owned two separate copies of that game, one bought cheap in a truck stop, of all places.

1 Like

I think this game might qualify?

5 Likes

I fucken love quantum theory.

Also bujingai and demon chaos

1 Like

tsukiyo ni saraba / 10,000 bullets

2 Likes