Comic Books, Graphic Novels, Sequential Art, & you

Currently Reading this after reading most everything that led up to this:

Holy crap any one read this? https://imagecomics.com/uploads/releases/DeadlyClass21_CvrB585x900.jpg

I read up to Berserk’s most recent chapter over the last two weeks. Aside from some tonally incoherent parts, the progressive intolerableness of the fairies, and being okay with never seeing rape depicted and described in any media again, I thought it was pretty good overall. I was concerned about the story’s trajectory during the last couple of volumes, but the slight divulgence of Griffith’s Welthauptstadt Germania and the interactions therein were interesting.

If you’re squeamish at all Berserk would be the worst thing to read that I can think of.

R.I.P. Hellboy.

Is there a good reason for why it’s not actually awesome to be a lizardman?

it was involuntary

Look, I am very big on consent when it comes to turning into things, I’m just saying it sounds cool ok

Dorohedoro is something I had forgotten existed and need to pick up again because it is the business

The visceral violence is mostly too exaggerated for me to get disturbed, especially when it’s being done to chest-eyed yetis. Tbh I wasn’t too bothered by the rape imagery either. I just think it’s a pretty boring narrative element that is only further hurt by its gendered violence and how it often renders women as the most disposable and/or vulnerable subjects. Rape as depicted in movies/shows is usually too much for me, though.

It’s Berserk, men get raped too.

k

I just started on Berserk and I’m at the end of the Griffith’s eclipse and I’m pretty shellshocked (I watched the recent movies and enjoyed them). Feels like appreciating the horror in Dante in a way that contemporary audiences probably could; or, it’s like someone rising up to challenge Bosch in a trashy media through sheer obsession.

Pretty hard not to read a lot of the author into an obsessive, horrific, and neverending quest. Appreciate the fear that your friend will leave you behind because they’re just better than you; that there are spheres of excellence and power that you can only see when you feel you’ve crested. The horror of mediocrity, the assumed evil of the powerful…

Like issue 21 or the series at all? I read the first trade and enjoyed it, but have so many other comics to read that I haven’t made it past issue what, 5? 6?

this looks cool

4 Likes

i did mean that issue. Cuz shiz when down!

What is it?

and children

1 Like

While I’ve never been a fan of the IDW incarnation of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which rarely fails to feel calculated and safe, I’ve quite enjoyed their take on Bebop and Rocksteady, which are the sort of characters one would think wouldn’t really work outside of the original cartoon, and yet they’ve made work quite nicely in their more coherent universe. Making them into people who want desperately to belong but are consistently set back by their own stupidity has actually made them poignant, without diminishing who the characters originally were. They now have a mini-series, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything, whose first issue is quite fun, and quite interesting, involving not only them, but also time travel, Renet–another favorite character–and an exploration of the TMNT multiverse. The art is variable, with different artists dealing with different scenarios, but when two of those artists are Ben Bates (who also co-writes) and Sophie Campbell, there’s really not a whole lot to complain about.

Just some cool lookin comix!

Saw it on Brandon Graham’s tumblr

Too bad it’s kinda pricey because it ships from europe :confused: