Coffee

I use the aeropress everyday and it’s very easy to clean. I also like how fast it is to brew as it doesn’t require steeping. I always found the brews to be more flavorful than a French press too. I never learned how to use a chemex though so I can’t compare.

do you need other things to make coffee other ways? or wait is the deal that the mug is like part of the brewing apparatus? i also thought they used their own kind of paper filter. I guess what I’m saying is I’ve watched like numerous videos of people using aeropress and I still don’t really understand how they work. The problem… is me…

Chemex is just a fancy brand of pour over set up, the gimmick being that the part that holds the filter and the pitcher are all made of a single piece of glass. It’s more aesthetic than anything I guess and there are some uh kind of irritating design flaws but it looks real cool.

I like it bc you can make more than enough coffee for 2 ppl at a time with it, but it’s easier to get out of the way to save counter space than a normal drip coffee maker.

1 Like

I’ve seen convoluted ways to use an aeropress that involved inverting it in order to measure, but you don’t need to do that. All you need to do is put a filter over the bottom, fill it with your coffee and water, give a little stir, then plunge. Plunging has more resistance than a French press because of the amount of pressure created by suction.

I’ve never successfully brewed via pour over! I think I used too little coffee or I poured the water too fast.

it’s definitely kind of a fussy method, that requires more attention than just setting up a drip coffee machine. i honestly don’t even know if the results are that different to my decimated tastebuds but i weirdly enjoy it because of the unnecessary complications of the process. its sort of meditative in a way that i appreciate. i don’t mean that in like a spiritual way about pondering the essence of the bean or whatever i just feel like having a nice little routine / procedure to follow every morning that i can do in sort of a trance state is a good way to start the day

3 Likes

Anyone done an Ethiopian coffee ceremony?

1 Like

Sounds like I should get an aeropress. The baby means I don’t even have room in the morning to crowd our tiny counterspace with the coffee maker.

should i talk about doom in this thread to balance out the other thread

3 Likes

I haven’t had coffee in a few days because of the cockroach problem in the kitchen, but after feeling shitty and tired for several days in a row I decided to pour a kcup into a French press I have. It worked better than I expected, but having to wait for water to boil and then another few minutes for the grounds to seep blows, but it’s better than nothing and it tastes better than if it had been made in the actual machine (not as sharp), so. :man_shrugging: I also feel less shitty.

I like Sumatra the best. Ethiopian is good, too. I love the smell of Kona coffee, but it’s usually too weak.

I used to think I hated coffee until I stopped putting creamers in it and stopped drinking medium and light roasts. Heavy whipping cream is the best to use for a creamer, but only like a drop or two (like, the tip of a teaspoon) – I really don’t like when you can taste the dairy or creamer, it should only function to take the edge off of bad or too strong coffee. When I worked at Starbucks just looking at the amount of half and half people would pour into their coffee would give me a stomach ache and gauging on my own how much to put in for people when they’d insist I do it was the worst, I always had to go back to add more.

1 Like

i just drink maxwell house and add cream and sucralose. not exactly a coffee afficianado but i like it and even though it’s 4:30am i am dying for a cup. it helps me perk up and feel glad that i’m awake. i’m not exactly supposed to indulge this way but life is short.

everyone: i like to do this elaborate thing and this type of blend tastes the best

me rn: i just microwaved my coffee which has been sitting in a french press for 3 hours

8 Likes

I think I might drink too much caffeine. Does anyone else, in addition to having more energy, feel an ambient sense of emotions? I swear I’m sometimes more sentimental or sensitive after I’ve had coffee, like I’m all ready to connect with someone but I’m blocked. IDK, could be a totally different explanation for that.

1 Like

hmm maybe I should drink even more coffee

4 Likes

I think it makes you more anxious if you drink too much of it, could be a byproduct of that.

1 Like

Yeah it’s probably something like I have these increased chemicals that make me feel anxious and then I interpret that to mean that I need to talk to someone.

1 Like

is putting actual cream in your coffee just an American thing? over here it’s only ever milk, dairy or fake

A lot of the times it’s not whole cream but half and half, half cream/half milk. Also, I just learned that “coffee creamer” is not cream at all but vegetable oil, water, and sugar (sometimes it has a “milk derivative”).

1 Like

Oh that’s what half and half is, I thought it was half dairy half soya or something. Derp.

1 Like

yeah isn’t it wild!

i assumed that milk’s worth as a coffee additive was in the protein but i guess lots of fat is desirable too?

1 Like

Sounds about right when something like bulletproof coffee exists.

WHAT

That sounds like it would absolutely tank your cholesterol :o