Childhood Thread 2: Basic Things About Reality You Didn't Quite Grasp As a Lil Babby

yeah a seven year old mormon knew about putting things into other things, who would have guessed? #secretsofthelatterdaysaints

2 Likes

yikes

1 Like

Only automatics!

(n.b. I cannot drive stick)

1 Like

My wife had a bizarre conversation with our 5 year old during which, after a bit of cross-examination, she realized that he thought cartoons were “weird TV people with blurry skin”

13 Likes

I think that’s a technicality though, because if it didn’t stall it would! On every stick I’ve driven it will go forward (slowly) if you let up on the clutch a little bit but don’t give it any gas.

I had a poor grasp on how old people would get, like at age 5 or so I had the belief that age 10 was the end. I think I was a bit blurry on this, whether it was the age you no longer were or the age you had to get married at. Both were wrong.

I also recall at times hating to go to sleep because the idea of laying in the same place doing nothing for all those hours in a row terrified me. This is also why I had a pretty solid fear of death even at a young age which is odd as at that age I really should have taken that “you go to heaven” thing at face value, yet it just never took.

1 Like

I thought that the way you got married was, you ran into some stranger on the street and you just knew that this was the person and you proposed right then and there.

I think this was because of the meet-cute in 101 Dalmations?

This despite my parents literally knowing one another since they were toddlers.

3 Likes

i thought that because i was 8 days older than my cousin, i would die 8 days before him

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure I learned everything Inknow aboit sex feo sitcoms and standup, which should explain a lot to y’all.

I specifically remember learning the word “vagina” from Paula Poundstone, and I think I probably watched the “contest” episode of Seinfeld a few times before I knew what masturbation was.

I used to be utterly horrified by seeing men through the eyes of female comedians or the lens of a sitcom, which --again–basically explains everything about how I view sexuality and gender.

As I child I was acutely aware that ghosts were real, that they were in league with aliens, but that ghosts hated music, so I’d always have to play music when I was going to bed to keep the ghost/alien consortium at bay

Weirdly, I didn’t actually like music until I was like, 12?

5 Likes

Once while visiting my grandparents, I poured some sugar substitute that I found on the table on my cereal. When I was done, my mother told me that I shouldn’t eat that because it caused cancer. For the rest of the day, I felt increasingly ill. Finally, that night, I told my mother that I thought I might have cancer. She assured me that I didn’t. (My father had just gone through cancer treatment.)

10 Likes

i love all of these

oh oh i remember asking my childhood friend who was one year older than me what it was like living in the Olden Days when everything was black and white

6 Likes

yeah the world changed into color. we had at least one discussion about that in high school

1 Like

i think this fear was pretty common but gmork is the best one i’ve heard of for some reason

One time I asked my mom what the dinosaurs really looked like (implying that they had been around in her life, previous to my birth). She still brings that up, multiple times per year.

6 Likes

When you turn on the hot water faucet, you aren’t waiting for the water to heat up. You are waiting for the cold water which is still sitting in the length of the pipes, to clear out and make way for the already heated water, sitting in the hot water tank.

3 Likes

I think I repressed most of my childhood because I have to strain really hard to try to conjure up one of these and it’s distinctly not a pleasant experience

1 Like

girls pee from the butt

5 Likes

either that or I just… don’t retain mistaken beliefs of mine once they’ve been corrected

I know this sounds too analytical I’m just getting nowhere here

There was some weird period when I was maybe 8, during which I had this sort of professor/doctor character in my head that would tell me to do OCD things like run to the end of the hall as fast as I could or step over cracks. They were always put forth as tests of some kind. I knew he wasn’t real, but for a while (a week? a month?) I couldn’t seem to forget him.

Looking back, I was probably having OCD episodes. I have OCD urges so minor sometimes that I barely think of them and for a while my older brother had some very noticeable compulsions to futz loudly with his bedroom door knob.

Kind of makes me think that maybe without a brain chemistry change due to aging I might need meds. Or maybe that was a really stressful week in my childhood or something.

1 Like