Character portraits

I just started Shining Force 2 and the character portraits own. I think character portraits are my favourite thing about jrpgs. Having this one definitive image of a character that like deeply elucidates who they are. It rules. Anyway here are some cool ones from the start of Shining Force 2.

Pls post heaps

24 Likes

also obligatory

24 Likes

all the portraits in grandia are very pleasant and cute but i really like sue’s

19 Likes

OH HELL YEAH i was screaming about the portrait work in shining force one (also the icon animations in the menu are amazing too)

i will think of my actual favorite portraits but i NEED to post yuris looooooong neck first

yuri1

(from shadow hearts 1)

6 Likes

I’ve always loved Valkyrie Profile’s portraits but I only noticed just now that there are two wildly different styles at work here! The tones alone are light and day

Anyway I mostly dig the work of, I assume, Kou Yoshinari, with these oily, proud, somber characters, who fittingly look like they’re living through the first act of a tragedy

13 Likes

wow these are beautiful

valkyrie profile is one of the prettiest games ever made

:twisted:

6 Likes

9 Likes

a merry man
dosbox-200224-185633

a partisan raider
dosbox-200224-185956

9 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes

The new wave ninjas of Strider NES aren’t popping up in an image search. I might have to do some work.

13 Likes

hitlerex

a classic

16 Likes

Max Damage

Die Anna

From the “Prat Cam” of Carmageddon

The Prat cam (also spelled PratCam ) is a feature on the HUD in Carmageddon and the Splat Pack . The top-left of the screen shows a “reaction cam” of the driver in his/her cockpit during the race. During the race, the player may smack the car, make it fly, collect powerups, etc. and the driver’s expression changes accordingly. A happy expression if an opponent is wasted, screaming if (s)he’s flying, or a disappointed expression if (s)he lost the race.

Max Damage was portrayed by Stainless Software’s resident nutter Tony Taylor, who was filmed as the team hit him with a pool cue to simulate collisions. Gentler treatment was bestowed upon 14-year-old Faye Morey, who was cast as Die Anna after auditions from high school students.

The prat cam can be enabled or disabled by pressing the P key during a race.

11 Likes

also also obligatory

download (51)

12 Likes

12 Likes

11 Likes

Silver Case

11 Likes

The character portraits are the main reason I want to play a few of Experience Inc.'s games, in this example Stranger of Sword City, even though I heard they aren’t good. It just has some really lovely art. I suppose this is a big part of the appeal of some dungeon crawlers.

Of course, you have to make money too. So when it started getting a Western release all of the art got updated to something with more modern anime appeal.

From this:

To this:

10 Likes