Chamber of Sacred Ootheca - The Metal Thread

Cool! I will check it out soon.

Yesterday’s discovery:
https://rezzzn.bandcamp.com/releases

man, this is a good album. The sort of music which can make you feel relaxed and trippy, without any drugs.

Not too heavy. Slower tempo. Not too complex, but not dull. And doesn’t feel too similar to other stuff.

Sort of droning, churning, lightly doomy. Reverb soaked vocals and spot on effects create some tasteful psychedelic textures.

Ok here’s something more nasty than what I generally post. Reminds me a teensy bit of Acid Bath.

Looks interesting! Thanks!

one of the biggest nerd-bands for nerds i enjoy

great way to end a great album

btw this thread is super good so cheers everyone

And speaking of Acid Bath, may as well post them. Here is my fave song from first album “When The Kite String Pops”.

*warning, that album is full of lyrics about drugs, murder, abuse, sexual harm, etc. And this song is no exception. I’m not into that stuff. But I think their sound is cool.

When The Kite String Pops has a varied yet cohesive sound. It’s good from start to finish. Their second album falls flat, however. With only 1 or 2 songs which sound about as good.

Ok, no one clicked on that link but it’s ok because I know ya’ll will have fun with band logos. They’re fun! And, you’ll probably have more fun with me here to guide you through because I have that soothing text-voice. Like typo-ridden ASMR for your eyeballs.

Ok first up we have to talk about decent but weirdly popular black metal band Wiegedood

Which is a rune, and a made-up one at that, which is OBVIOUSLY cheating. Wiegedood is the Dutch name for SIDS or something and that’s a pretty cool name but come on with this shit.

This is their real logo and look how boring it is.

Check out this shit, idiots

Our friends Barren Altar did the rune thing but it actually spells out their name. Straight better! Barren Altar is a good ass name and they play death-doom with a melodic black metal guitar lead which is a killer mix, solid work all around Barren Altar.

Sepulcher is a death/thrash band from Norway and lol look how gross this logo is:

I’m not a big fan of asymmetrical logos but it’s so drippy! It’s gross!

Log Driver is a blackgrind band from Connecticut and oh my god this aesthetic

Their band description on bandcamp is ‘Deforestation-core/Extinction Is Forever’
I have no further comment.

Droid!

Wait, that’s the stoner band from Australia. I mean the speed metal band from Canada

Who missed the 70’s? (Droid is actually super solid throwback speedmetal, like, actually go listen to this album if you miss the late 70’s/early 80’s)

Xasthur
No, not the underground Singaporean band from the 90’s, the famous Depressive Black Metal project from California that is on my shit list for doing a Burzum cover

I’m not sure EITHER of these spell out the band’s name, to be clear, but I’ve always dug how smokey the one on the left is. Smokey is good!

Sinmara is a decent black metal project from Norway. I really like their drumming!

It’s so wiggily! I have never seen such a wiggly logo!

Vale Of Pnath is a tech death band from Colorado and boy do they want to be early Fleshgod Apocalypse. I don’t like early FGA, but Vale of Pnath… fucking owns? Anyways, let’s marvel as they try to figure out their logo over the course of nearly a decade

Boooo, you can not convince me that’s not a canned font

Eh, acceptable but boring.

HOLY FUCK

IT’S THE LITTLE ‘OF’ THAT REALLY SELLS IT

Let’s take a look at NYC Avant-garde extreme metal band Imperial Triumphant go through their own version of this. (Avant-garde means they play black metal but sometimes there’s horns)

Hrm, this is not great ya’ll

Once again I think you’re onto something but are missing the mark.

Too far too far! plz calm down

… Ok this one is great

Vektor is proggy thrash from the US and idk

I feel like I should like it but I don’t? It sure is something, though.

Hexecutor is French throwback thrash and they’re pretty fucking good. Their logo progression is a weird one

This is pretty cool, wow

This is not great

haha whhaaaaaaaaaaaat

Wormrot is grindcore from Singapore and I’m not a fan but their logo, let me tell you

wow

Nucleus is death metal from Chicago and gosh does their logo look SHARP

Chevalier is a female-fronted trad metal band from Finland and how could they NOT BE trad metal with this shit

It’s got a helmet and chains in it!

Revocation is tech death from Bostion and their logo is a nice crossover of the ‘symmetrical spike circle’ school of logo design and the ‘make it real drippy’ school

Ewwww

Quantum Hierarchy is Italian death metal, but not tech death, but they were like, ‘hey, you know how tech death logos are spiky sometimes? I want this fucker to look like we had a problem with pigeons roosting on it’

Nevermore shall you shit on our logo, birds

Ghost Bath is a post-metal band from North Dakota and they are another nice fusion, this time the ‘what if our letters were like, overgrown?’ and ‘drippy!’

Archspire is a Canadian tech death band and they’re fine but they wish they could be their logo which is a generic logo idea executed really well

It’s just really solid.

Inferno! But, before you get too excited, not the Inferno from Costa Rica, Cyprus, El Salvador, Estonia, France, Hungary, Indonesia, either of the two from Japan, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Ukraine, the United States, Venezuela, or the one with the umlaut on the o from Norway (say it with me, In-fer-nöööööööö), but the black metal band from the Czech Republic.

Anyways, their logo used to look like this

(lol at that cover art)
has appeared on cover art as this

But generally looks like this

Chthe’ilist atmospheric death metal from Canada. It’s pretty good! Their logo looked like this lovely swoopy cthulhu

which, you know, holy shit

but for some reason on their last release they decided to go with this

booooooooo

:sparkles: BONUS ZONE :sparkles:

WAIT, WHAT

OH MY GOD

PART 1!?

Vircolac is an Irish death metal band. Vircolac is Romanian for ‘werewolf.’ Their logo

IT’S GOT DOGGOS IN IT

Ok, let’s get this shit out of the way

‘lol party cannon have u seen that festival poster lol wow colors wow it’s so great that a band doesn’t take itself seriously like a band whos logo is in the shape of a chuthulu that sings about Zelda metal is so serious’

Party Cannon is slam from the UK and slam fucking sucks and party cannon isn’t even good slam and they suck and, hey, I went to listen to a song before I wrote this to make sure I wasn’t selling them short and it opens with a transphobic joke. Seriously. Fuck party cannon and fuck irony in metal. I have more respect for the fucking anime slam bands

Probably don’t click on that.
But like, this is already more fun that Party Cannon look at this dumb shit
Capture
Wow
Anime slam sideproject from a 17 year old Chinese guy who drew the logos for his other bands too

Metal truly is a magical thing

(If you don’t know what slam sounds like, here’s some anime slam without a gross cover 4u)

It sucks! Such is the fate of all slam!

Anyways, fuck these Party Cannon.

-Wait, I have just been informed that they stylize it PaRtY-CaNnOn which ok
ok
That got a smile out of me

Onwards and upwards
Hæthen is an American sounding black metal band from… America. It’s a sound I like! Their logo, though,

IT’S TREES! IT’S GOT ROOTS! WOW!

…HOLY SHIT!

Úir is Scottish black metal.

YOU HAVE A THREE LETTER NAME AND THAT’S THE BEST YOU CAN DO FOR THE ‘R’? REALLY? GROW THE FUCK UP

A Diadem of Dead Stars is atmospheric black metal from Greece. They have a fucking killer name From their album art you might think they’re a Summoning worship band but they’re really not. Their logo is the rooty-ist of all rooty logos look at them roots

Wow!

Despite being a pretty generic atmospheric BM band most of the time they released one EP that was meloblack in the style of Windir and it sounds like a uplifting Agalloch and holy fucking shit

he just went back to doing normal atmospheric metal after this and it’s pretty good but god what a missed opportunity! This is probably my single favorite song I’ve discovered this year.

Inferi! not the black metal band from Argentina, Finland, the Netherlands, either of the two from Italy, or the speed metal band from Mexico, it’s the melo/tech death band from Nashville! They’re… not great, but logos!

It’s pointy! It’s got roots! It’s got a DOOR IN IT!

Draghkar is a death metal band from LA. They’re not amazing which is rough because there’s a lot of good death metal from Cali right now, but logos! They used to be this

A boring kind of bat logo. Booooo! Then they were like, ‘what if it was a bunch of souls getting sucked into potals?’ and WHAT IF IT WAS?

WHOA

Moray is thrashy black metal from Utah and their logo is just so classsy

Just an approving nod of a logo, I think

Caladan Brood is an atmospheric/epic black metal band (read: Summoning clone) also from Utah. CB was like, ‘We really like Summoning but what if we were like the Summoning of something that wasn’t LOTR? What if, what if we were the Summoning of Malazan Book of the Fallen?’ Which, haha oh my god you two are so cute

First reaction: wow this is a great logo.

Second reaction: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE ‘C’ YOU ASSHOLES? DON’T YOU DARE TELL ME THE CHAIN IS THE ‘C’ YOU BUTTS! HOW DARE U! WHERE’S THE L? OH MY GOD IS IT THE SWORD? YOU WANT ME TO READ THIS IN A SPIRAL WITH A SWOOSH THROUGH IT FOR THE ‘BROOD’? NEVER! I WILL NEVER READ MALAZAN! :triumph:

Addaura is an atmospheric black metal band from Seattle. They’re pretty good!

Logo is a good crossover of ‘thin lines’ and ‘drippy’ and I like the strong line right through the middle. If it’s unclear what they’re going for, maybe this will help clear it up

lol!

Wait

Ya’ll doing ok? You seem a little down.

Wait, what. Airport grocery? The… [google search] restaurant from Cleveland? That’d can’t be right. Let’s see…

Oh, sure

Sequestered Keep is dungeon synth also from Utah. It’s good! ‘But wait, the term ‘dungeon synth’ doesn’t sound like metal!?’ It’s… look, it’s…
Basically if you took old medieval themed black metal from the 90’s and removed the guitars, the drums, and the vocals, that’s dungeon synth. Is it metal? No, but it’s like synthwave in that there’s so much audience crossover that metal has kind of claimed it. Anyways, look at this logo

It’s got a door in it! Yeah!

Lunar Shadow is a trad metal band from Germany. They seem pretty good?

When they first started they were like, ‘Let’s get really into that trad metal aesthetic!’

Which, wow?

But then they were like, what if we tricked people into thinking we were a melodic black metal band for some reason?

Which ???

Anyways, this logo has it all

It’s got swoops, it’s got sharp angles, it’s got squigglies, it’s got spider webs! Just fucking going for it!

Entheogen is a 2nd wave worshiping black metal band from the US. They seem decent. They went to make a logo and were like, ‘what if our logo was just a big fucking mess?’

But then, they got really paranoid. ‘What if this logo is too easy to read? We need to do something about that!’

‘WHEW, CLOSE CALL’

Witte Wieven is a female-fronted atmospheric black metal band from The Netherlands. They’re pretty good! Their name comes from Dutch folklore and refers to GHOST WITCHES. GHOST WITCHES YA’LL
Their logo:

IT’S A BUTTERFLY HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING!

Cadaveric Fumes is death metal from France and they did the wing thing + tentacles + spikes + mouths and shit, their music is pretty good but come on
3540353031_logo
Now that we know about butterflies are we really willing to settle here?

13 Likes

I have a short part two of the stuff I think Selectbutton will go for but my internet is down and I’m not doing this shit on my phone

This is the best post that wasn’t made by me so I am going to rank my favorite logos:

The one that looks like the logo to a lost Falcom PC-88 game.
The one that looks like the logo for a hookah bar.
The one that looks like a doodle my mom drew while trying to come up with a logo for her diner fancy upscale restaurant.
The one that looks like cum.
The one that I thought was paying tribute to Diablo item descriptions yet wasn’t actually a logo but a screencap of a webpage.

4 Likes

As a kid completely fixated by graffiti writing I strongly appreciate that megapost

Cormorant is a proggy black metal band from California. They’re pretty good and they used to like trees

and then they liked cursive

and then they liked square, well spaced capital letters

and then they liked boring calligraphy

but then they were like, ‘what if we tricked everyone into thinking we were a Castlevania???’

Next up is Vampire but not the Vampire from… oh fuck me look at this shit

Anyways, this is the one from Sweden.

B) B) B) B) B) B)

Last up is Warcrab from the UK. They advertise themselves as death/sludge but idk how sludgy they are outside of the vocals. The sound like a half-speed Bolt Thrower which is holy shit! If they had better vocals they’d be an instant classic imo

Second best band I discovered through this project.

IT’S

A

CRAB

2 Likes

Why is google like this???

3 Likes

Today in ‘Claire likes anything mashed up with extreme metal’ ittttttt’s spaghetti western soundtracks

Send help

1 Like

i miss altar of plagues

Altar of Plagues never really struck me but I think we all have to admit

weak

1 Like

fair

1 Like

That’s pretty good but the mixing of the vocals isn’t great. Should be either higher, or they should have more breathy vocals imo :woman_shrugging: Instrumentals are killer, though.

This is the best thing I’ve heard in the past few weeks

Polish/English debut of two older guys, which is neat to see. Nice to know you can release your first death metal album at 41 imo. It’s doomy death metal, real slow and downtuned, but really clean, and with really guttural vocals. Good relaxing music.
This, though, this is weak come on

Just don’t say Ronnie James Dio ain’t Metal…

1 Like

Speaking of which, an ex Altar of Plagues member is putting out a debut album with his new band Bliss Signal this week

It’s like an really electronic take on black metal, it’s pretty great.