Cartoons (Part 1)

Well, okay: I’ll see it I guess

1 Like

I am embarrassed to now admit that I thought Megalo Box was actually something related to, like, MegaBlocks or something so I hadn’t been paying attention at all whenever it came up.

How much like Ashita no Joe is it actually?

Only kinda. A lot of various nods, but probably the main thing is the whole looking to the future bit, but there’s a reversal and instead its new Joe having that attitude way to the chagrin of his trainer Nanbu, as opposed to Danpei trying to convince Joe in the original. Also new Joe doesn’t really have the tendency for assholery old Joe tended to.

I tried watching Disenchantment, but it was so stale I gave up after 10 minutes into the 2nd episode. Just…what a waste of talent.

Matt Berry’s character is the only thing I liked.

3 Likes

i do wanna say though the entire invasion arc is amazing and the pacing and action is like top of class. like i wanna say cinematic, but i’ve never seen a movie do this kind of plot in as satisfying or thrilling of a way(?). like the show made macross jokes in the beginning but this was like actually the american macross (i guess the action to personal stories ratio is way off though) the stakes really felt higher than these other weird gal-ra invasions we’ve seen. just a solid ass anime man. i’m glad there’s only one more season because it would probably be diminishing returns.

2 Likes

Yeah, it really is feeling like they made the right call on giving this a set ending. There is some definite froth going into the final season.

Ok, what are the good anime cartoons from the past couple seasons?

I’m watching Attack on Titan 3 and Banana Fish right now. I thought someone told me Hanebado was good, but the first five minutes (despite a strong OP) were so dramatically overwrought and had such lavish breast animation, I bailed.

I’m gonna watch Megalobox. I’ll check out Asobi Asobase, but my patience for very sex joke-heavy anime is pretty thin, so I’d imagine I may not be that into it.

I like Gundam and josei stuff. Some of the series I’ve liked the last few years have been Yuri on Ice, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Pop Team Epic, Ping Pong, Inuyashiki (more or less).

Every “preview guide” to anime makes everything seem the exact same flavor of mediocre, which I know isn’t ever far from the truth.

1 Like

Mostly just waiting for S2 of Wanpanman and Jojo Pt 5

I’m guessing you’re already watching My Hero Academia? If not, that’s the only anime I’ve really loved for the past few years.

1 Like

Banana Fish is pretty much my biggest recommend this season, though I still need to watch megalobox

Wotakoi is pretty cute as a romcom kinda thing

The new Cardcaptor Sakura series has slow pacing but it feels like a natural continuation of the original tv series (it shares 90% the same staff so this makes sense)

Aggretsuko on netflix is pretty funny.

3 Likes

nobunaga no shinobi and mahoujin guruguru are both cute and funny

it’s not actually sex-joke heavy in spite of my previous post

it’s more despair and stupidity heavy

1 Like

I’ve started watching Made in Abyss and I’m in just for the monsters and backgrounds at least

This is clearly a correct answer and I’m not sure why I haven’t done this yet (I think I was underwhelmed with the first episode of the first season, but clearly it’s something I should give a better shake than that).

1 Like

Now this is my jam.

Just saw Night is Short, Walk On Girl and I loved it. The characters were all so charming and it had such a weird and wonderful world built up.

3 Likes

I was pretty excited to see that but I got spooked by hearing there was a transphobic bit and the apprehension of the baseline sexism that comes with the territory buuuuut people sure seem to like it so idk if I made the right call here

sad part is i can’t tell if this is night is short or asobi asobase cuz it might apply to both?

Night is Young has a guy who crossdresses because he makes a cute girl and likes to lead guys on; he later says he would do a sex change and goes in for a kiss with a supporting character but they’re playing up the moment since the context is a musical thing and they both are clearly uncomfortable with it so I don’t think he’s trans, just an asshole

Asobi has a character who is actually trans but she’s kind of portrayed as sinister but a lot of her reactions has to do with the fact that people are misgendering her or using her being trans as blackmail dirt because otherwise everyone treats her normally, even her boyfriend wants to stay with her when she reveals she’s pre-op

in conclusion, I would call one better than the other but I don’t know if either is good?

1 Like

Dodged a fucking bullet Jesus Christ

In general, maybe don’t worry about assigning anything more specific than unbrella trans/gnc to characters because it doesn’t really matter in the end