Cartoons (Part 1)

this show is weird

DJnbiKMVAAAxrTw

2 Likes

every time I see a screencap or piece of concept art for this, my immediate reaction is the thought “is this a finished product?”

I am probably a pretty rude person

no i’ve watched 2 episodes of it, it sort of feels like a rough storyboard animatic but…for the whole show?

it’s still pretty fun i think

OK KO leans really hard into “off-model” drawings and wild takes and smears

The end theme is sung by Rebecca Sugar and is about the wonder of animation and the end bumper has big old school Hanna-Barbara sfx all over it

I really dig it, cool show

1 Like

I just watched Redline again and it fucking rules*, the end

*except for the annoying cheesecake sexism but, japan

4 Likes

the voice actor for the protagonists brother in Infamous Second Son is Sweet JP’s voice actor and it always messes with me

it is one of my favorite movies, yeah

the sexism is lame but i wanna be the cool green-haired racer girl regardless

also what other movies could get away with lines like “mr president, we must prevent Funky Boy from destroying Robo-World” or use kamaji from spirited away as a racecar mechanic

space dandy is the only thing i can think of with a wacky race nearly as good or a star wars-esque setting nearly as vibrant

did you watch Trava: Fist Planet

no, should i

yeah it’s pretty dang good! it’s sort of an inbetween project the redline guys did before the movie was finished as a short one shot that’s like 30 minutes long.

Speed Racer (Wachowskis) runs an extremely similar tone and has similarly gorgeous visuals if you haven’t seen it; I’d have loved Redline unconditionally if I hadn’t already been inducted into Speed Racer’s cult

I think Space Dandy’s setting is 1000x more vibrant than redline’s.

Ok I am kind of a redline hater because I think only maybe a third of it is as good as the trailers made it seem, the writing is atrocious and the sexism.

that one third that’s good is REALLY good, though.

Also check out Tailenders for a weird wacky race oneshot and OvalxOver is a 5 minute promotion animation by Imaishi if you want more style over substance racing animations.

Also with President Roboworld’s swept back blonde coiffure and his ineffectual spitting authoritarianism he’s a real weird Trump analogue

https://selectbutton.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/e/5/e5b1f86c7b26a99b9693712c5a514e7641738b96.webm

STILL WATCHING DUMB STUPID SHIT

IT’S REAL FUCKING GOOD

1 Like

Neo Yokio is straddling crude anime dub, hypebeast twitter feed and actually okay sitcom quite well so far, and Jaden Smith is helping

“Archangelo I’d recognize your shitty voice anywhere” made me do a proper snortlol

it’s this weird grabbag of vapid rich people sitcom, 2002 webcomic idea of what anime is, and alt history rpg campaign that happens to have desus and mero and jaden smith and it’s like…too novel of a thing for me to think about like a tv show until a theoretical season 2

it kind of makes sense when you think about it’s original plan to air with like Axe Cop and The Lucas Bros and whatnot on Fox ADHD

shame it just looks like a french totally spies kinda franime or like halfway to sonic x or something

I feel like the duff animation is maybe crucial if you’re going to have Jude Law play (another!) robot amongst all the other stuntcasting

I’ve watched two episodes of Neo Yokio and the weirdest part is how the whole ugly thing is extremely close to working, but keeps missing the delivery by just a bit.

It’s completely inscrutable and I’m glad it exists??

1 Like