Cartoons (Part 1)

I was actually curious about this, my thx

1 Like

Meant to write “underlining”…

just finished One Punch Man

it was okay!

It is only after watching the Toonami marathon of DBZ Kai Buu Saga episodes and sleeping on it that my molasses brain finally put together that Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

Then last night there was a marathon of the six aired episodes of season 3 of Rick & Morty, with a preview of next week’s episode, and I gotta say, it hit just the right note of ominousness

watched s8 of adv time yesterday, glad this show got out of its low points

what on earth

2 Likes

Did… did he just say fuckbois

did the Vampire Weekend guy(?!) steal a password to a google doc from Bryan Lee O’malley?

2 Likes

Wowee.

OH shit I didn’t see someone already posted this

Well I made a thread about it lol

It looks good to me tbh, the line about the tuxedo made me laugh

I have no shame and will watch this

I will get so fucked up and watch the hell out of this dumb shit

1 Like

Man. Mixed feelings.

1 Like

since i have never watched the cartoon i have no opinions on the above image but something about it reminds me of this:

pokemon has always been a nostalgic experience for me, even as a child playing it for the first time. something about this imagined idyllic childhood where you can travel and meet new friends and have control in your life while remaining assured that everything you do is good and healthy…

when i think about it, i always get this feeling in the pit of my stomach, a feeling of loss for something that never existed.

it’s weird

anyway that image makes me wish i’d joined the boy scouts or had any friends after the age of 11

5 Likes

Their faces are horrifying. Misty’s is too flat, Brock’s eyes are uneven compared to the tilt of his face, and Ash’s…whiskers?..are something. Only Pikachu is fine.

2 Likes

I too am angry about how a cartoon I haven’t watched in 17 years looks different

2 Likes
odd circumstances, that leave me the first person to post much about the new season of Bojack Horseman. Since the Axe threads are about getting into the series and the vestiges of ongoing anti-/nihilstic cartoons, I'm moving discussion about said season to this more grounded thread.

With the loss and distortion of family driving the main threads and penultimate heart-renders of previous seasons (possessing nothing of substance past an aged household sitcom and failing people behind it, dreaming and destroying a lost chance at getting away from it all), the chance to focus exclusively on that notion to the exclusion of standard arc productions (the book, the movie, the award) manages to redeem working off a newly-introduced character and a backgrounder brought to the forefront. Narcissistic hollow detachment and destruction defines the whole main cast to some degree or another anyway, as Is The Sitcom Way. While Hollywoo and society are regularly, bitterly satirized as self-contained capricious gibberish, there’s little outside of individual issues (abortion, celebrity rape accusations) that gets addressed directly. The second episode and the standard second-last showstopper both focus on how Bojack’s highly abusive mother had every familial figure inadvertently traumatize and warp her understanding of kindness and compassion, whether as victim or negative influence, entirely based off social conditioning and expectations failing each of them all. Nobody in this family can cope with emotional turmoil or loss, and this all builds up to how Bojack’s upbringing was ruined and a latest chance to reconnect with new family was nearly destroyed. That this ends with Bojack comforting his dementia-rattled mother in a mixed state of spite and lucidity, making his last interaction with her a long detailing of the entire family being together and happy, is an ideal twist after all the devastation he usually leaves in his wake- and it feels earned after the death of Sarah Lynn. Finally helping Hollyhock also works to great effect, as growth rather than explicit active change.

time

It doesn’t forgive any of the abusers, but it tries to outline how insidiously it comes out to be. Beatrice isn’t made a matyr for her previously joked-about abuse, but her upbringing was a fresh look at hell.

Also, the midpoint depictions of panic attacks and the alternating helpful and nihilstic internal dialogue is a bit of a neglected gimmick without nearly enough use, but it pays off when gets to finally have Bojack understand he’s not alone.

I write all this because without that showstopper of a main thread the season is quite a ways more of a zany offbeat tragicomedy than the messy intertwined portraits of broken people in a broken world that defined the series up to this point. It’s possibly not much of a surprise when the main perspective no longer brings (thematic) connections between the rest of the main cast, but the lack of surprises or twists to their arcs beyond expectations feels like it’s missing something. PC once more fails to build a family and Diane has run out of distractions on how her marriage is fundamentally built on an inability to communicate, while PB and Todd genuinely acknowledge a couple of issues (political shell games, asexuality) but otherwise are left to their shenanigans with minimal insight. The former two’s chances for change being pushed to the next season rather than confirming and foreshadowing a true shift probably reflects how Bojack’s trips to the abyss has finally lead to some empathetic dedicated progress- the most competent figures of the first season are now the remaining loose ends for what should be the last. It’s the dagger twist after the stab that was the main plot- I probably resonate too hard with the distinctly lost Vietnamese self-righteous self-serving woman, but that her situation is the only one that ends the season on a dire note just burns me to ashes.

pit

I think this season could have gone with a few more editing passes- the gun control episode easily loses itself in a divergent point without the edge of the prior hyper-political episodes, governorship beyond scandals and shenanigans doesn’t have any real bite, the teaching of asexuality doesn’t have anything providing weight with it like the lead-in relationship had, and so on. Still, it has a thesis and it nails it, even if it’s easy to dismiss the whole as aimless and loose compared to visible arcs in prior seasons.

You know, watching this season struck me harder than almost any other season before it. Even though this is a generation that readily relates to extremes of suicidal depression, societal alienation, and imposter syndrome, the direct topic of abuse ripped through my heart. Both the person I was closest to and the person I am closest to had to deal with decades of abuse from their own mothers, and there’s no sexual element to decouple and dissasociate with, I guess.

EDIT: hey look youtube clips of the season are starting to pop up, much easier to parse than the brunt of the full season

3 Likes

halfway through the new Bojack season, it seems like they should just give the sign gags their own spin-off

Bojack was really good but I guess I’m a bit iffy on the asexual bit because the moral seemed to be that ace people can only date other ace people and, uh

ok now i finished Bojack:

5 Likes

Aho Girl is a good show about a girl being a complete idiot and the troubles she makes other people go through. That is all.

2 Likes