Cartoons (Part 1)

they are making a rocko movie and these dad jokes good gravy

1 Like

they’ve maintained the exact same bad sense of humor of the old show, so I guess this’ll be a big hit with the folks who nostalgically remember rocko

They should’ve called it rocko’s postmodern life.

2 Likes
1 Like

Morty deserves to die

9 days huh?

wow

I’m at the point where I’m only watch this show to plumb the depths of the politics of the identical but different world and how much they love democracy to the point of making their kids shows propaganda for it (but also for fairness for the minorities, of course)

also the horses have hats that cover their ears so how do they hear with the hats on

Because it’s anime and can’t fully commit to properly addressing real (first world) problems Gamers got real close to being a show of interest. The second episode got very close to addressing that mental barrier of loving to play games and having someone to play with but hesitating because of the fear of being judged or wasting another players time. When it came time for the protag to explain this it just goes to stock “Don’t insult my “friends”” spiel. Oh well, it’s cute enough and the product placement is kinda hilarious. ArcSys is in the credits.

Yeah that was a little disappointing

1 Like

oh hey

1. I won’t believe anything until there is a goddamn movie out in theaters that people can watch
  2. The whole movie better look like that teaser art

I don’t get Rick and Morty. There are clever ideas in the episodes but I greatly dislike all of the characters.

That’s absolutely its biggest problem, when Justin Roiland seems to get free rein. The thing that keeps me in aside from pushing sci-fi tropes to their logical existentially horrifying extremes is the rare moments of humanism in the face of all that, even when the family are at their most trying.

Another way of putting it is it just has the same problem all anti-hero driven geek stuff does: Rick is an asshole but he’s almost always shown to be in the right within the show’s logic, and that’s bound to create an annoying fanbase that idolise him.

2 Likes

That’s the reason that I don’t like Breaking Bad. I don’t want to watch a bunch of unlikable characters destroy their own lives. Of course…I’ve never actually watched it.

I love Rick and Morty though. This sounds like the same damn thing as Breaking Bad, but for almost every humanizing moment Rick has, there’s a moment (usually later in that same episode) where the show takes that moment away from the audience. It’s a sadistic move but easily my favorite thing about the show. I don’t know how anyone would idolize Rick, but I’m sure people do because of course they fucking do.

Morty is amazing. His wide-eyed wonder being completely crushed by reality over and over again is really interesting, particularly because he takes on Rick’s brand of cynicism as the show goes on, but still tries to find the good parts of every situation. I really hope this new season isn’t about totally crushing him. The contrast between Rick and Morty is the contrast between a bitter sort of nihilism that asserts that everything is meaningless, and therefore you can do whatever you want, and a more nuanced view that everything is meaningless, therefore everything is equally important and must be treated with respect.

Not to read too much into a show that heavily features a drooling alcoholic or anything.

Anyway, I think this video of Dan Harmon talking about a sort of cheerful nihilism is the best summary of the show:

EDIT: here is the link don’t break this discourse: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/the-search-for-meaning/

4 Likes

Great take.

Amazing errror:

6 Likes

that’s incredible

Another 5 episodes in to this and I think I understand my misgivings for it. The themes presented are opposite of my own worldview to the point where I can’t agree with any of their conclusions. There are occasions where they almost make an interesting point and then just veer off to the easy take, the shallow veneer of wubba-dubb-dubb and this aggressive nihilistic atmosphere that blankets everything.

I’m actively flipping the show off during some of these episodes. The matriarchy one was especially heinous, even with Morty being a terrible father.

ReLife is okay I guess, though I think twitch chat might be coloring my enjoyment of the show

there sure is a lot of sad piano, huh

i adore Rick and Morty, it’s so amazingly far from my own preferences though. Like my favorite TV show is Steven Universe which is basically its polar opposite, but R&M is so beautifully nihilistic and fucked up that i can’t help but appreciate it. Doesn’t hurt that in addition to being funny as hell, it is occasionally, genuinely, strangely profound:

and also jeez how can you not love a joke as good as

apparently Dan Harmon hates introspective, possibly redemption-bound Rick, but Dan Harmon is an asshole so who cares.

also yeah that matriarchy episode fucking sucks

i have become goddamn obsessed with Star Vs. the Forces of Evil to an unhealthy degree and i have no idea how i slept on a series about a Sailor Moon inspired magical girl dweebus whose archenemy is a bird monster that wants a hot bod and is voiced by Alan Tudyk

this is MY hole, it was made for me!!

2 Likes