Cartoons (Part 1)

i have the small and secret hope that the 2017 show will be about the Black Flag Force or something else cool and relatively unexplored in the setting, rather than some kind of abridged remake

also that it won’t use cg ships somehow, but i know that’s probably asking the impossible

hey guys remember Golden Wings? no? good

this is like my most anticipated 2017 show after OPM because lol

1 Like

i mean, if we did get a do-over of the show, and it somehow managed the kind of boost to pacing and direction and animation quality that Overture to a New War gave to the first two episodes, my heart would probably explode

but it’s Production IG, so, heh

I haven’t been reading them, so much as listening to the audiobooks. Which is not to say they’re particularly great, just that I can consume them while riding my bike or driving to/from work.

Actually i changed my mind the new show should just be that gender swapped musical stage adaptation that actually exists somehow

reinhardt/kircheis wasn’t gay enough, i need admirals singing passionately at each other in the heat of combat

This isn’t space navy, it’s actual navy and it’s only very subtly gay, but I never tire of recommending Silent Service

1 Like

Ai mai mi and Akiba’s Trip make Wednesday a pretty good dumb cartoon day.

Have you checked out Crest/Banner of the Stars?
More about the relationships of the two protagonists more than anything, but it has some space navy stuff going on too, most of it being in Banner I.

so the first episode of little witch academia came out yesterday, is anyone gonna be watching this show as it airs? @notbov?

i am rewatching the shorts on netflix and getting real excited

edit: all of the character designs are so pure, i forgot how much i love the witch-thief ;-;

3 Likes

everything is storyboarded and posed so well alksjf;aoiejnkzv

edit again: THE EXPRESSIONS ARE SO GOOD

4 Likes

I am totally watching it, is going to be on Netflix now or are they going to wait till the whole thing is done?

the latter i’m pretty sure

idk where things are gonna go up first

why are netflix subs so confused about lotte’s gender

#???

oh god it’s 6 AM please help D:

sometimes i have to avoid stuff i enjoy this much because feeling emotions this strongly is sort of destabilizing

i sure do love mental illness

i forgot to watch the 2015 movie
on it now!

I will totally watch the episode of LWA I violently stole off the internet eventually, but there are currently more pressing matters afoot

@Sleazy, @loki

1 Like

That is going to be the only option other than waiting months to watch it on Netflix, right? Damn, cannot use the work laptop (the only computer thing I brought with me to Spain) to do it, have to wait till I get back.

they recently put up a cartoon on the wwe network called “storytime” that was just incredibly cheap animations illustrating road stories told by wrestlers.

i can barely remember watching the jetsons, i haven’t seen it since i was very young, but i always remember it as being significantly more boring than other hb cartoons, even stuff like the hair bear bunch being held in higher esteem

though obviously the all-time worst hb cartoon is tom and jerry kids

BACCANO is stylistically and structurally cool but man are its characters obnoxious

“hi, i’m the comic relief”

“hi, i’m psychopath number one hundred and seven”

“i’m yet another character whose personality is so one-dimensional i literally only have one emotion! and i emote!! way!!! too!!! much!!!”

i’m a quarter of the way through it but i don’t anticipate this changing any. it’s tonally a mess and it really is the sort of ensemble cast where i don’t care what happens to any of these people

why can’t it be as fun as its OP

1 Like

yo, i tried to watch this a few years ago and i abruptly stopped 10 eps in
i don’t remember what pissed me off because i enjoyed what i did see of
it but, god your quote might definitely be it.

vladd reminds me of dio in the sense that they’re both blonde extremely
hateable and over the top psychopaths.

all the hype this show got seemed warranted but
for whatever reason i just jumped off the train.

i watched ergo proxy and gunbuster recently
there were some good moments in the former, lots of fanservice in the latter
but overall i feel like my time wasn’t completely wasted
at least ergo didn’t end in an up in the air way like i kept thinking it would

gunbuster was a cool empathy simulator

in the context of 2007 when not every show was a self aware mashup of anime/manga tropes, it was fresh and exciting. It’s probably got a bit of seinfeld effect given how many other shows followed along from that (well, that it became the basic template for shows that aren’t moe exercises but still total anime trash)