Cartoons (Part 1)

Sorry for the negativity, I’ve been in a nitpicky mood lately. I don’t even know why, I am watching more animus than ever right now.

Because I just caught up with Dragon Ball Super after figuring out that episode 28 continues ResuRrection F. With a fucking tournament arc baby! And… it’s not that bad? I don’t think so! I like tournament arcs though. It’s more Dragon Ball (Z). Except with a less glacial pace.Totally looks like DBZ too, and I read that Toriyama complained in an interview about the 90s non-digital style and I don’t know, I kinda dig it. I even didn’t hate the filler episodes that much. Arale paying a visit was nice. Next arc was kinda terribly written and dragged on quite a bit tough, gotta admit. (Wasn’t a tournament arc though.) And now we’re back to filler until the season closes out I guess. But! Things can only get better from here. I hope. They already hinted at another, you guessed it, TOURNAMENT ARC. Oh boy! I’m hype.

And I am also finally catching up on the bizarre adventures of a guy called Jonathan Joestar. After watching the first six episodes half a year ago. For some crazy reason, it did not amaze me. Could you believe that. What a terrible fool I was. But now that I’ve seen the light, I’m gonna marathon the shit out of this. That should keep me busy until the sports animu of next season start. JOJO! Also kinda wanna check out some Yes albums now.

They just finished the fifth season of JJBA. You got a lot of catching up to do.

I’m sorry if it comes like I’m saying your opinion is invalid. I’m not too fond of a lot of everything being slice of life either, but something being slice of life isn’t inherently a bad thing. Again, I can totally see why you would be tired of it if animes are your thing because oh my god, no more cute girls doing vapid shit shows please

no more jojo friday
hurry up animate part 5 pls
i love this series so much!

i went back to the manga and
my goal is to’ve read part 5 before it airs

2 Likes

i don’t think i could ask for better media representation tho

1 Like

Well, I don’t know what I’m really complaining about. Typical Japanese message of “let’s all do our best” was wrapped up pretty nicely in the last two Fune wo Amu episodes that I saw today, and it got me of course, it always does. Watery eyes are a sign of a good slice of life in my book. And as much as I wished for more Yuri off the Ice, I really loved that show too, so whatever.

And I don’t even really watch slice of life anime, or let’s say I’m new to it, because the only one I watched (to completion) before was Watamote, which I enjoyed tremendously. Anyone like Watamote? I do. So yeah, I am open to watch more life slices, just don’t really know what. Maybe that hikikomori one (there’s probably more than one).

i liked watamote, though it was too relatable sometimes. the op theme is great too

other slices of lives i liked

azumanga daioh
season 1 of the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

i haven’t watched either of those two in over a decade though. it’s a genre that works better in comics tbh

1 Like

Has part 5 of the anime even been announced?

It hasn’t, but there’s really no reason to believe it won’t be. Every season’s been a big hit so far, and Part 5 is one of the more popular parts in Japan. And since it’s time for the Jojo’s 30th Anniversary Cross-Promotional Spectacular, all the more reason to keep things going.

is great tho i never finished it

i heard that miike wanted to make a part 4 movie too
the hype is real

I’m not entirely sure about that, but in Azumanga’s case I’d say it’s true, mostly since in translating 4koma into a full length episodes some gags end up getting stretched out a bit much. Though Azumanga and Watamote both are comedies first and slice of life second, which is part of what makes them work as well as they do.

Also, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is top tier slice of life, though as far as actual anime it only had like the two OVA episodes I think.

I also kind of feel calling Great Passage slice of life is a bit disingenuous since it has an actual plot and the drama is about the work (which isn’t “drama about work”) and a lot of the domestic situations and such on display come from that organically

Watamote isn’t slice of life either, it’s slice of suffering

Seconding this for manga. Also Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is the greatest and most accurate sol I will ever see and probably not just because I went to an all boys highschool myself.

Grand Order sure is a fate cartoon but not quite upto the gravitas that ufo table would. Probably a good thing for a fate show so its not taken so serious once you realize how dumb the whole thing is.

It was fun seeing Cuchulain as a caster and actually not meet a gruesome end. Kinda lame the director lady had to be a dramatic sacrifice to up the stakes. Who’s going to be the Rin stand in now? I’m hoping this’ll be a ‘fun’ fate show. Kinda lame it takes a mobile game to create a setting to have fun with the server class system and creating scenarios to have legendary heroes fight and interact with each other but this is where we are.

It wasn’t a very good cartoon but I’ll hoot and holler for Druid Cu Chulainn and his finishing move WICKER MAN any time. They know fanservice.

are there any worthwhile space navy shows beyond galactic heroes

I havent watched Tytania but it is by the same author

I mean you’ve almost certainly watched Macross, but in case you haven’t, Macross.

I remember watching several episodes of Tytania and being really disappointed by it, but the reasons it disappointed me have vanished from my mind. I want to say it did a really poor job of establishing anything unique, like it felt like “this is basically just LOGH, except scoped way in and about ~freedom fighters~ instead of the end of democracy.”

Which reminds me, I need to get back to watching the LOGH anime. I watched the first 30~ episodes years ago and lost track and now the English release of the novels is past where I watched, and I’d like to compare/contrast again.

1 Like

I always got the impression from trying to read excerpts that the novels were, uh, bad

would be happy to be wrong though