Cartoons (Part 1)

i know you meant sports cartoons that have proper storylines and characters and stuff, but

1 Like

Ping Pong is one of the greatest shows on earth.

So I am sticking with Flip Flappers and though I wast not very convinced at the beginning it got better and it use its visuals very very well. What it tells is not groundbreaking but they are doing a pretty good job and rely on verbal explanations less than it’s usual in anime, which is nice.

I was also between starting Yuri or picking Rakugo from my backlog. Teacher/Mentor love relationships are not my jam, so I went with rakugo. And damn, glad I did. I am really enjoying the sober mood of the show. The rakugo scenes are very well directed for being only a man sitting in a spot speaking all the time.

Once I go back to Spain for holidays the plan is getting current with Teekyu. I deserve no mercy.

This cast is absurd but I like it

3 Likes

Speaking of Ping Pong, new Yuasa movie

6 Likes

Oh, cool, I’ve been looking for a reason to stay alive into 2017.

hey somebody sell me on watching Mind Games because I’ve skipped through it and the art and energy is great but the narrative construction seems uh… Gaspar Noe-like

It’s my favorite animated film, basically without question. I’ve seen it like ten times, which is the most I’ve chosen to re-watch a movie since 2002.

It has something of an unconventional narrative structure but I can’t say that’s at all a drawback. The structure of the thing is a huge part of its energy. It never feels meandering, nor is it abstractly associative or anything.

I haven’t seen Noe’s films, so can’t comment on that.

Mind Game is also a favorite of mine (I mean let’s be real I’m one of the most obnoxious Yuasa fans on this forum)

It’s a movie that is infectiously joyous and sincere. So much of the appeal of the movie is its weird and striking imagery and energy. I’m not sure what you mean by the comparison to Gaspar Noe but I will say that Mind Game is not pointless or masturbatory, nor is it pretentious. It’s a movie I will literally sit down to watch with anyone.

Basically this, complex imagery and simplistic-on-the-nose dialogue.

A direct refutation is good enough for me, thanks both

Also after the American premiere it did actually help to see one of these episodes in story context. I thought they were just doing a weird in media res thing but they’d plucked one out of the middle of a serial. Neat to see Swamp Thing around. Kid-friendly Constantine with lollipop and magically cursed to have an exaggerated accent was fun. Too bad they had to do those tired, shitty cross dressing gags with Plastic Man

The hype is real

2 Likes

Okay

The Great Passage is the best damn cartoon to pop up this season and Amazon US dragging their feet to stream it is the greatest disservice they could have possibly done to the show

If and when it pops up on US Prime, I heartily recommend checking it out

(or you could just steal it. just go fucking watch it.)

1 Like

I hope they have the go-ahead for Part 5, then

And some more money

Watching “The Show of the Season” (aka Yuri!!! on ICE), on chapter 9 so far. And I wish I could enjoy it as much as people enjoy it on Twitter. Is a fun show, for sure. But once it starts with the Grand Prix cycle it gets really grindy. They have to reuse animation because this is a challenging subject to make an anime, but seven chapters of people doing their very similar routines one after the other… sometimes I feel I am watching variations of the same chapters. I could kill for a breather chapters without programs.

The main relationship is cool, though I wish they focus a little bit more on Victor point of view sometimes.

Dunno, good fun show but I wish I could feel the greatness everyone is talking about.

Finished Yuri!!! on ICE. Chapter 10 was the breather the show needed but it was just the prelude to more skating routines. I loved the credits of the 10th chapter, is the funniest part of the show. But it’s also a pity it has to be pushed to the ending because there is no space. Also we have to wait that long to get some information about when Victor started to feel something for Yuri.

In the end, it’s still a fun show to watch. I just wish the second half was not so repetitive and the secondary cast got more screentime to develop outside monologues during skating routines.

This is one of those cases where only having twelve episodes to work with was a bit of a shame. Twice the length would’ve given secondary characters more room to breathe, though I think some still acquit themselves well in the scenes allowed (King JJ!).

After a while, you start kind of anticipating the stock animation leading into Yuuri’s routines. It’s like a magical girl transformation sequence.

I really feel that YoI started off possibly to strong. It was the best watching Yurio and Yuri bounce off of each other when setting up for the competition. After that it kinda felt like quick introductions and just watching how it all fell into place if a little less organic. After the first three episodes I’d have a hard time tell you what happened in each individual one from memory because they all start to blur together.

What the fuck, Yuri on Ice? I do not understand why I did not got to see some gay sex. Or even some kind of implication that gay sex happened. It just kinda went nowhere. I guess anime is for kids and they’re not allowed to show grown-up stuff or whatever, especially not if it’s still widely socially unaccepted, but come on.

And as much as I appreciate The Great Passage for making something as dry as dictionary-making interesting, I don’t think it’s ever trying to be more than your usual slice of life. I mean, the protagonists are young adults and middle aged people, but it’s still the same simple tripe. Ganbare minna san! It’s so Japanese. So typical.

YoI takes a weird-to-my-Western-eyes angle of “it is incredibly obvious these characters are in a romantic and sexual relationship, to absolutely everyone in and out of the show itself, but there will be no open on-screen kissing or hanky-panky.” I’m not familiar enough with non-cartoon Japanese cultural norms to say anything definitive, and especially not the cultural norms of sexual minorities in Japan, but pretty much all TV anime these days that isn’t really, really obviously For Children airs after 10pm (if not after midnight), so there’s very little in the ways of “content restrictions” that aren’t at the whim of the broadcaster or production crew themselves. Make of that what you will.

Well, for one, it’s about actual adults working their adult jobs and living adult lives. Complaints about the story can be sent to the source material (being a novel and this is like, the second or third adaptation of it), but this show had the holy fuck directed out of it and I’d rather watch more shows like it than seeing the Cute Girls in a Silly Club Doing Nothing cycle slowly fizzle out

Speaking of, I abused my powers and watched the K-On movie at work on a cinema grade projector. K-on works because it’s still funny and the girls are vaguely people instead of characters and even with the movie being slice of life-y, it’s wonderfully paced. Also, I never want to see Yui that big again