Cartoons (Part 1)

Yo is anyone else watching March Comes In Like a Lion? It’s a lot of sort of tawdry melodrama but it’s balanced with the downright silliest bits of humor so it all comes off as feeling pretty natural. Come for the orphan-finds-a-family tear jerker plot, stay for the housecats exaggerating how hungry they are

I heard of this show somewhere and thought I would check it out, but totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

I watched all of Gall Force

All of it

ALL OF IT

It seemed like they had an idea at the beginning, and it was kind interesting in-a-dumb-way that they started out with the crazy Adam and Eve story of the first film, but then they kept going

They had to plant the seeds for the crazy

Then they ripoff the future parts of The Terminator but also shove Newt from Aliens in there and spend 4 (four) hours of cartoon trying to kill Skynet the MME and its evil general AI, GORN, which probably stands for something but fuck if they ever spell it out

And then GORN lies in wait for 250 years, comes back and eradicates all of humanity except for the 6 women who are descendants of the original main cast (?) and the machine war cast and are expected to bring humanity back.

It’s never explained how they’re going to do this without any dicks aboard their ship.

Anyway, the point of these 10 or so hours of cartoon is that war is bad and hatred is bad but humanity can’t break the cycle so fuck it

The 90s remake (which looks super, super fucking 90s) is like an amalgam of all the concepts from the original canon except with the stupid (“stupid” here being relative) elements dropped, like GORN, and is instead not just about war being bad but seemingly criticizing the military-industrial complex by stretching it to the point where humanity has engineered a society where stability is achieved through war and also you literally get points for killing people. It’s actually far better and more sensible than the 80s stuff (and it actually wraps up its story instead of ending on “Humanity is fucked except for some random girls who can do shit because genetic memory”) (also everyone lives this time); however, brown girl from the 80s series is now some white girl and this offends me in ways I cannot express and thus, I hate it.

Now that I’ve gotten this off my chest, I’m going to salt the earth of my brain with something good.

I have Gall Force in my backlog, because I got the artbook some time ago because it was really cheap and I may as well watch the thing. I am aware that life is short and it may not be good. But I managed to watch Cross Ange despite my own complains, I can deal with this.

So Ping Pong the animation is on Crunchyroll now, and I ended rewatching the whole thing, still an amazing show. I am also checking Slayers and I am afraid I arrive eighteen years later to this show. Is nice and is the kind of 90s show I am in the mood for, but I would have liked it more if I watched it when I was around 15 or so.

Whoa now

Cross Ange is good

Also don’t watch past, I dunno, Earth Chapter. New Era and the remake (Revolution) are kind of superfluous in the grand scheme of things

I heard some episodes of Justice League Action aired in teh UK already so I tried looking for a torrent for it. No dice. Fucking UK; never did nothing for nobody.

Christophe in the Yuri!!! on Ice English dub is just horny Vegeta doing a Werner Herzog impression and I love it

1 Like

yeah a couple eps are floating around now on streaming sites

i want to like it but the style is just unappealing to me

it visually reminds of the weird official dcau flash cartoons like lobo or gotham girls

like it’s not THAT poorly animated compared to flash cartoons but it is nowhere near the standard of anything else on cartoon network. i mean regular show has better animated action as a joke. the fights are storyboarded well, but the character and background designs are all extremely c-tier flat and boring stuff

it looks like a college freshman tried to make some clipart that looked like bruce timm designs

also they mean ACTION it’s basically all superfights

i wouldn’t mind this concept which is basically to do those old 60s hanna barbera action shows if it looked better, oh well

shame that basically none of the dc nation stuff that was way cooler really got picked up as shows

1 Like

Yeah I caught the episode Power Outage last night! I thought it was pretty good. I especially liked that they got Martian Manhunter on the team, who is missing in both the current comic’s JL team and the Snyder movie JL team. (Seems like they want to replace him with Cyborg, who is mainly like a wifi hotspot for the team).

But yeah 11 min long episodes means it will mostly be colorful superfights with plot sprinkled in for flavor. This is a bummer for me because I like to see heroes doing out-of-the-costume character building stuff.

The animation is like a cross between original Teen Titans and Bruce Timm designs I guess, which I am fine with.

the one thing i’m sure i’ll probably enjoy about it is that literally every new dc comics show has to go further and further in mining more obscure stuff to be different than the other shows and this one does seem to be breaking out the deep cuts so at least it’ll be a little bit of nice fanservice sometimes

I also largely appreciate they got the voice actors from Batman TAS, so the nostalgia hits home

also cartoon network uk is fucking up and putting the 15 year old justice league animated series credits at the end of these and it’s driving me crazy

2 Likes

It totally didn’t occur to me that this was being dubbed already, and now I’m really hoping they go all the way with King JJ, The Canadian Dream

okay i still don’t like the look of jla but after watching 3 eps, the stories and voice acting are pretty fun/cute

What cartoon style would you prefer JLA to be in? I think it works for what the show is.

i just want something with some more personality to it. it feels like too much of a middle ground focused group kind of style. it just feels kind of cheap like a dvd that would come with a toy

i feel like it would be better if it was either more realistic or angular or bold or cartoony or anime or silly or more anything. it’s just mush to me

Well I hope the style grows on you. I think the animation improved from JL Adventures to JL Unlimited. Maybe JL action will improve too?

ping pong is such a beautiful show

i wish america did sports cartoons

1 Like

I could probably watch Ping Pong once a month

I would probably feel better about life if I did