can we talk about mother 3?

Just discovered this thread due to recent activity and saw this. I do remember those emails!

Explanation for everyone else: negativedge and I wrote each other, “critiquing” Mother 3 and I then sent the whole thing to Tim 108 Rogers, who was ready to put it up on actionbutton dot net. negativedge was against that at first until I sorta convinced him that it would be cool and he gave his okay. I never talked to Tim about it though and so it never got published. (that’s how I remember it, anyway. It’s been years)

Sometimes I think about this and wonder what it would have been like if it had been put online. I do wish I could have seen the comments on it. Would have been baller, I think. But then, this is my life now, devoid of joy, because our Mother 3 “review” never got published :laughing:

I don’t

If you cool catz still have The Lost Mother 3 Papers… I’d read em.

would read, reckon yall cld still unearth it?

we can still talk about Mother 3

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the bootleg version they sell on Amazon has input lag? I’d be willing to drop some money on that if it’s fixed. I still am baffled why they haven’t released it in the states.

there’s no technical reason why it should, if it’s just a script-patched rom; the input lag is normally added in emulation

it would be pretty odd if there was lag. repro carts may have some issues, but lag usually isn’t one of them

The flashed GBA cart I own is good. Ideal because you can evangelize it once you play it and loan it out to friends

Ok, I’ve been meaning to play it again. I beat it in 2011 on an Acer laptop in the dead of winter inside an old house with no insulation. The lag made things difficult and I only remember bits and pieces of the game because I was depressed at the time and drinking a lot. Good to know the boot carts are reliable.

how’s the emulation these days?

there’s still more input latency than a lot of people find acceptable but otherwise nothing wrong

I played it in retroarch on a raspberry pi earlier this year and there was definitely less input lag than there was when the translation patch first came out. I had a devil of a time getting combos consistently (especially on the harder songs), but I couldn’t tell whether that was due to slight input lag or just due to my own lack of skillz.

My sister has started playing this blind while high as hell and named everything weed jokes and says “NUT” every time she picks up a nut and refuses to engage with the rhythm mechanic. This is the only way we are allowed to consume M3 now, the rest has already been done.

5 Likes

NUT

1 Like

press NUT to pay respects

3 Likes