C64 Music

It’s been almost 20 years, so I went ahead and uploaded the song.

It was more of a hassle than I expected to get this song uploaded. Because it’s kind of amusing how many obstacles I encountered, I will list the ones I remember here:

• I wanted to get a screenshot of the artwork from the music collection, so I had to run the player in an emulator. Because it’s more than 202 blocks, it requires the emulation of a RAM expansion cartridge on top of the disk image. So I had to find one of those and figure out how to use it after discovering from a random comment that it was required.
  • When I had it set up correctly, I didn’t think I did and so I tried many different configurations before I realized that loading * was actually pulling up a totally separate program, a note from the person who ripped the music collection that does not lead to the music collection itself.
  • When I went to open Windows Movie Maker, I discovered that it is no longer included with Windows. I was prompted to get the latest equivalent application. But it wanted me to get it from the Microsoft app store. I refused to connect a Microsoft account with Windows 11 when setting up this computer (I think the only bypass method that still works is the one where you enter an e-mail address that lots of others have entered previously) and I wasn’t going to do it now, so I couldn’t use the app store.
  • I found that it’s still possible to download Movie Maker from an Archive.org link, but the installer repeatedly failed. I then found that there was another thing that replaced Movie Maker before the current one, and so I downloaded that and it at least worked.
  • YouTube didn’t want me to upload a video that’s more than 15 minutes long without going through their verification process. Maybe that’s why this song was not uploaded with the others from its collection in the first place.
4 Likes