bulletin witch

where’s the game based on the isometric logo sting scene at the end of the Dig trailer

I hate to be a product cultist but the way Yacht Club has overdelivered on their Kickstarter promises (full entire unique free games instead of just character select) makes me want to buy every game they ever put out forever.

6 Likes

The funny thing about that advice, ‘every time we released free stuff we sold more copies’ – the same line Valve used when they were in TF2 development – is that it’s absolutely true, if your game is already popular.

And I think, ‘should I charge for extra content or not?’ is a U-shaped curve. If your game is world-beatingly-popular, charging for content isn’t really necessary; you’ll make back your dev costs and then some just by keeping people playing your game. If you’re of middling popularity, yes, you need to charge; it’s the same logic where niche genres (like computer wargaming, or early Paradox) keep prices high because they are only selling to their fanbase. But below that threshold, well, nobody cares about you anyway so your best bet is to release it for free again in the hopes that you get some attention.

(Shovel Knight is in the first case; as one of the very biggest indie titles, ever, releasing free content is one of the best strategies to help Shovel Knight keep selling by keeping it in people’s minds)

12 Likes

So Yakuza 7 is announced and it… seemingly has turn-based rpg combat? Kinda wonder if something was lost in translation. The video (that isn’t embedding properly >_>) does seem rather turn based…

3 Likes

apparently the new protagonist loves Dragon Quest to the point where Sega got permission from Yuji Horii to mention the series by name and I 100% guarantee you this is why it’s turn-based. I guess each character has fucking job classes and everything. I like Yakuza’s combat well enough but it’s never been my favorite part of the game (I play on easy difficulty and didn’t care for all the stance shit and stuff they’ve layered on top in recent years) so turning into a weird JRPG is probably one of the weirder and interesting things they could’ve done to keep it fresh. This rules so fucking hard!!!

9 Likes

I mean, at least in Kiwami by the mid-point of the game the random fights could be won in a matter of seconds. If every normal fight in the game suddenly becomes markedly longer that feels like a pacing nightmare and the game becoming a hundred hours long.

Granted the last thing I’d do in the year 2019 is play a jrpg on a non-portable, so it’s likely not for me regardless.

1 Like

my assumption was that they would hopefully change the pacing of random encounters to reflect the more complicated battle system, if it is more complicated. I got to the point in 0 I was running past every fight so that might still be possible but like, wouldn’t solve my underlying problem with the combat

random encounters and turn based battle systems are both like nails on chalkboard to me and the encounter rate in kiwami 1 and 2 was already maddening to me and only tolerable cause they were real time. kiwami 1 was so bad I almost wondered if it was a glitch or something (not even talking about the majima everywhere thing, that was fine and it was actually weird everywhere I saw people were complaining about it cause I thought it was surprisingly varied most of the time. wasn’t getting repeats until towards the end of the game). the first thing I always went for as soon as possible was the items that turn that off encounters

2 Likes

I happen to feel very different about them. This could be from general avidness of brawlers and 3rd person deep action extravaganzas, but looking past the times in Zero and Kiwami that I did encounter like 10 groups in 10-15 minutes, I find the combat (aside from the rare tougher boss types) so easy breezy that it’s comfort food, chunky soup beatdowns and it breaks up running to and fro across stretches of city. I get how its obtrusive for those looking strictly to sights ambience, subgames and missions/story though, I just happen to really like the fluctuation as is. They do go a long way to (eventually) accommodate varying player desires.

1 Like

For me it’s all been a step below “good fighter” but also above “mindless brawler”.

I also heard the same about Majima Everywhere and didn’t see why til late game.

The array of skills in character/battle growth are kind of overstretched for the few types of fights that actually go on. Making it more rpg-like could easily justify that kind of thing.

i think playing old jrpgs has poisoned my brain to the point where i don’t really mind the encounter rate most of the time, theres just sometimes i get very annoyed that someone is interrupting my coveted “play space harrier at sega hi-tech land” time. i only started running past most guys in 0 because i had kiryu/majima to the point where they were comically overpowered and i was no longer getting satisfaction from dunking on hapless thugs

Jeeze I’ll buy it and report back at release.

play a jarpeg where the battles aren’t random and you’re punished for fighting too many of them

8 Likes

Same. Though I still haven’t grabbed Judgement whoops.

Jeez that Twitter thread is hilarious for how quickly people who swear they are die hard series fans are just like “well I am done with this forever”.

1 Like

it is really weird seeing how many Serious Yakuza Fans suddenly have no faith in the yakuza devs because they’re trying something new instead of making kiryu games with brawler combat forever. toshihiro nagoshi said if people don’t like the new combat they’ll just go back to how they used to play in a sequel so i’m really not worried about it

2 Likes

I remember when footage of this got released ages ago and everyone thought it was just an elaborate April fool’s joke. Honestly I would have been okay if they just made a whole game where you play as Haruka doing dance battles

I think it’s neat that they’re doing it and an amusing way to go for one of these games, even if it’s not appealing to me to actually play. it’s not like I wouldn’t be able to get somebody elses 100 percent save or something to cheat through it easier if I wanted like I already do for jrpgs when I can

1 Like

The Yakuza games have always been JRPGs at heart (though for people who came in later in the series, this is less apparent). The first two games with the random battles basically just played like Tales games in a city in a lot of ways. So this doesn’t surprise me, and is an interesting way to let you control multiple people. Seems kinda like an outgrowth of the gang warfare stuff from 6 as well.

Also, like Kiryu’s story is done (possibly, they’ve walked it back before, though usually if they are going to do so, they do it by the end of the previous game) so it’s cool to move on to a new thing.

3 Likes

It’s like these people never played Binary Domain.

They did not play Binary Domain.

4 Likes

Turn based Yakuza

1. Looks super fun and accessible
  2. Might turn into a gigantic (japanese) franchise
  3. Is very clearly not the same Yakuza

Games like this, DQ11, the Persona 3+ series, etc really make me wonder what the fuck jRPGs were doing for like a decade. I feel like most every console jRPG I played during the late PS2 to early PS4 era tried some weird gameplay shit that just turned me off. I’m glad we’re back w classic stuff + QoL enhancements.

1 Like