bulletin witch

What a crazy thing to flip-flop on.

4 Likes

link?

Wait, is this for both the “OGAY” perfume bottle and the “F*GBAG” text in the secret room? Because I thought the latter of the two at least was included as a complete oversight to begin with and was never intended to ship with it. What a ridiculous thing to now double down on.

3 Likes

it’s because they got review bombed on steam for “censorship”

gamergate never died did it

7 Likes

Gamergate won. Gamergate is the order of the day now.

10 Likes

political alignments aside, the pattern of this has extreme trumpian energy, acting tough while you perform extremely weak actions

17 Likes

The Culture War rages on.

Review bombs work, and nobody’s figured out how to block them, and this culture has metastasized.

Even more common is getting it from both sides; while he’s no friend of GamerGate, the allegedly consumer-rights-focused Jim Sterling and his wake have trained up an army of trolls that perform identically. The language of ‘customer first’ is identical; the Epic Games Store harassment is just the latest mutation of the loot box and microtransaction harassment that mobilizes them in identical ways.

I saw an argument that the model of community building a decade ago was instrumental in creating this, and its example: Blizzard, BioWare – companies known for their best-practices community work – were the first to suffer this militant player entitlement and have been embroiled in some of the worst of it.

10 Likes

Pre-GG, he was pretty friendly to that crowd. He would get up in arms about “censorship” and made a lot of jokes about buying Pokemon Black so people wouldn’t call him a racist and such. And yeah, lots of the “customer is right” type talk that leads to shit like review bombing. I mean, I am glad that he has turned around and is somewhat better now, but the past is not good to him.

2 Likes

yeah, if we’ve learned anything about ironically dressing up as fascists…

4 Likes

it turns out that when you conflate your political ideology with an identity based largely on the consumption of media bad things happen

9 Likes

no more review scores, including steam’s thumb up/thumb down thing. if some wants to review a game, they use their words like an adult.

would have the positive side effect of ending metacritic, too

11 Likes

yeah just stop letting the public do this shit by giving them the technology, they’re not really very good at it

1 Like

gamergate quickly and abruptly ended in the summer of 2015, coincidentally when a bunch of trans women were getting doxxed by 8chan and milo yiannopolous like every day. but then it came back after trump got elected, and the same hypocritical scumbags who spent years on end calling one of my best friends a pedophile because breitbart told them to, and telling their audience to ignore the rise of the alt-right and “pay attention to the real issues” realized they could make a couple hundred bucks writing articles rehashing it.

no i will never let anyone live this down, thank you.

8 Likes

it also turns out that when you tie people’s livelihoods to easily abusable tools on platforms that consumers have no interest in maintaining a good faith relationship with bad things also happen

your average uber driver can tell you about this too

3 Likes
3 Likes

Weak cowardly piss and I’m not even convinced 3D Realms know what they’re doing at this point either.

2 Likes

Its from some weird book from the 90s but yeah I feel you.

later in the thread there’s a page from a comic that confirms “Hail to the King, Baby” canonically refers to Martin Luther King Jr hahahhaah

6 Likes