bulletin witch

while I will concede that it is bad and stupid that Epic opened a store without a shopping cart, any commerce site will set off alarms if an account has too much activity in too short a time

the only reason more of us don’t own Clan of Champions is because the Humble Store locked Drem out for a whlie

1 Like

I don’t know what making this distinction helps with though

I guess it being better than it was 10 years ago is good but it wasn’t exactly great 10 years ago

labor movements in tech (which games are 100% lumped in with organizing-wise) are still in their infancy and most of the “better than they were 10 years ago” you’ve seen is that neoliberal benevolent CEO bestows upon his workers the blessings of only 40 hours a week bullshit, not worker empowerment

I want to make no qualms about this - game workers unite exists and that’s great, but the fact that even the suggestion of a unionizing effort within tech was only really seriously considered a few years ago means we still have a very, very long way to go

especially considering that most of the labor models that games and tech have created have established a new classification of blue collar worker within its own hierarchy

it’s only going to get harder from here. I’m not discouraged by that, but it’s still true

7 Likes

Right, this knowledge doesn’t help us make things better, nor does it undermine the imperative to make things better.

It’s just context that’s important to understand the true nature of the world; that game work is still far better than most jobs and that it’s not in a sudden spiral of getting worse, which is not the impression given by its sudden exposure to the world.

August 30th.

1 Like

It helps with putting the focus on temps/vendors/contractors who are suffering the most and also cannot risk speaking up

3 Likes

I was mostly talking about the distinction between working conditions 10 years ago and today, not about the distinction between contractors/temps/vendors and full time workers

but I agree with the sentiment that we should be focusing on them the most

typically the GWU model has been to fold them in as game workers so that they’re considered to have just as much at stake in this as the rest of the game workers

I’m honestly torn about that - it’s an important identity for them to assume but I don’t know if it goes far enough. I’d want to go further and strengthen protections for them before anything else because that’s where most of the precariousness around game dev lies

1 Like

ehh, pretty sure GRRM consulted on Death Stranding or something.

that seems more in line with Kojima tastes than Miyazaki tastes

GRRM consulting with From is a long-standing rumor, from at least last year

1 Like

Game of Thrones gametype in Mario Maker 2 confirmed

1 Like

The seemingly more and more believable new From w/GRRM input, is titled (almost) what I uttered seeing the rumored initials: “Grand / Great Rune”.

I see why trying to work with him seems more Kojima pop-global culture, but yeah that rumors been building up and Miyazaki/FROM doing anything else largely medieval fantasy (if it is open world-ish with any political intrigue) tracks strong for that type of input. Like going next level with big figures/aims.

I’m sure we’re all curious as hell what those could be.

I’m pretty excited. With Dark Souls 3, it seemed like from was maybe straining a little bit on lore ideas, after 4 souls games and Bloodborne.

George R. R. Martin excels at world building and lore and characters. So, they can take his new ideas and apply their sweet sweet game mechanics.

1 Like

If I wanted to recycle a giant batch of low fantasy tropes for my new open world game, I feel like it would be a lot cheaper to do it myself instead of paying Martin to do it for me.

8 Likes

Given the success and aim of both entities in their own right I can see where there’d be opportunity with FROM seeking outside influence to play at strengths in the overlap. It doesn’t necessarily have to assume a generic branding or dilution, there’s obviously some insight and experience that could help structure and detail the kind of scenario(s) they’re working with. Pure speculation till we see (if) anything. On the other hand could be we see something more straightforward, less cryptic than they’re known for which could immediately lose allure with some audiences. It’s not something I exactly find promising but definitely interesting if true, to bring in such a big figure and to what actual benefit (or overreaching!).

Whatever the deal, that name has such sellpower now though, gundamn

1 Like

scathing

tbh neither GoT or Souls are actually “low fantasy” enough for my cravings. i don’t want dragons, just, the hint that dragons may have once existed - the sense that there plausibly were greater forces in the world, but for whatever reason they’ve receded from or forsaken it now. I’m interested in how people cope with that reality, the myths they tell, the cultures and superstitions they build around traces of the past …
sorry this isn’t my “telling worldbuilders how to do their job” thread but damn.

anyway i think Miyazaki did cite GRRM’s books as an influence, so it kind of makes sense. though i’d definitely be more excited if these rumours were about Steve Jackson

7 Likes

so have you already read Viriconium or is that going to be the next book you read?

3 Likes

noice

also excuse me,

Nioh 2. Now with devil triggers.

1 Like

nioh fuckin’ rules

2 Likes

it’s me, the person who gets excited for a sequel because it means the original will go on sale soon

4 Likes