bresson day

hbd to the greatest filmmaker robert bresson

lancelot du lac

ff4

daddy <3

15 Likes

A Man Escaped is the second best movie set during World War 2 and probably the best prison escape movie

8 Likes

hbd bresson! I love you!!!

3 Likes

4 Likes

Ashamed to say I’ve never seen a Bresson movie… Ugh I’ve really been meaning to. Where should I start?

A Man Escaped and Pickpocket are both great places to start, Lancelot du Lac is also excellent but definitely a more unusual film in his filmography

2 Likes

I know what I’m watching today!

4 Likes

i loveeee pickpocket… the main character plays pinball to make his hands stronger and more supple… bresson u gayass what are you thinking about boys hands so much for. also fun to double feature with johnnie to’s sparrow bc both are about pickpockets but idt to is bressonian in any real sense. but then again who is. oshii?? idk who else (pls do not say paul schrader)

2022 pickpocket about someone getting really into cave stg and garegga or smth… or maybe smash idk i think that’s probs the most hands-intensive vgame anyone plays right. like i think old old pinball machines were not solenoid actuated and required a lot more pressing force right

4 Likes

imo on a formal and stylistic level pickpocket is all about anonymous cruising. bresson hustled in the 20s though he never talked about it.

5 Likes

yes!!! def a cruising movie… doesnt he literally meet his like pickpocketing mentor in a urinal or smth…

1 Like

There’s a movie coming out this year called EO which is billed as a sucessor to Bresson’s Au Hasard Balthazar by Jerzy Skolimowski (Deep End, The Shout, Essential Killing) that looks pretty cool.

Jia Zhangke’s Xiao Wu (Pickpocket) is Bressonian and true to his own style. Highly recommended by meeee.

Also, A Man Escaped is one of his favorite films.

7 Likes