book about videogame

hey I seem to recall a thread about Books About Videogames on SB1, so I wannna champion the cause of starting a new one.

Especially because there’s this new trend of indie publishers authorizing writers to do some smaller print zines and novella type things about The Videogames and Gamer Nerd stuff so…

so…!!

john sketchpanic’s book on 80s japanese computer games is really good, despite the author being a well-reknowned bellend.
dess’ book, rise of the videogame zinesters (i think?) was really good too. if i weren’t such a useless pile of garbage, it totally would have inspired me to start making games.
there was a book i read a few years ago, about the history of infamous unlicensed nes pubisher color dreams/wisdom tree, but i can’t remember its name

I still recc Steve Swink’s Game Feel, perhaps especially for its bit on dildonics

1 Like

fuck if I ever get around to reading all the books I buy but

I believe Zoya Street is a friend of a friend and supposedly their “Dreamcast Worlds” is good

SCROLL has been good, though if you read it on mobile you lose all the aesthetics and like half the articles

Jordan Mechner wrote some books on his experiences making Prince or Persia and Karateka

the site Storybundle has been good for amassing a bunch of game bookz overtime

someone fund me a patreon so I can write cute zines with a cute mascot. I’ll be the next mister raroo. but nonbinary, so mixter

1 Like

I liked Rules of Play but I read it years ago and I don’t know how I’d feel about it now

Derek Yu’s behind-the-scenes type book on the development of Spelunky is pretty good.

Bredan Keogh’s Killing Is Harmless: A critical reading of Spec Ops The Line is an interesting attempt to break down a game piece by piece. In a similar vein, Game Design Companion: A Critical Analysis of Wario Land 4 by Daniel Johnson.

2 Likes

Seconding Spelunky

any attempt to break the line into pieces is a good one

paging @shrug

This looks like a good deal if some of these books are good, but I am not familiar with any of them. I guess it takes a lot these days for a book about video games to take priority over other things I might read, but I also wouldn’t want to miss something particularly insightful or interesting.

• Game Wizards: The Epic Battle for Dungeons and Dragons
  • Virtual Reality
  • The Elusive Shift: How Role-Playing Games Forged Their Identity
  • Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System
  • How Games Move Us: Emotion by Design
  • Half-Real: Videos Games Between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds
  • The Art of Failure: An Essay on the Pain of Playing Video Games
  • The Well-Played Game: A Player’s Philosophy
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • Play Matters
  • Uncertainty in Games
  • Values at Play in Digital Games
  • Homebrew Gaming and the Beginnings of Vernacular Digitality
  • Achievement Relocked: Love Aversion and Game Design
  • Developer’s Dilemma: The Secret World of Videogame Creators
  • Handmade Pixels: The Independent Video Games and The Quest for Authenticity
  • Who Are You? Nintendo’s Game Boy Advance Platform
  • How Pac-Man Eats
  • Communities of Play: Emergent Cultures in Multiplayer Games and Virtual Worlds
  • Atari Age: The Emergence of Video Games in America
  • A Play of Bodies: How We Perceive Video Games
  • Super Power, Spoony Bards, and Silverware: The Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Atari to Zelda: Japan’s Video Games in Global Contexts
  • Codename Revolution: The Nintendo Wii Platform
  • The Warcraft Civilization: Social Science in a Virtual World
2 Likes

The Elusive Shift: How Role-Playing Games Forged Their Identity is a good one.

2 Likes

A Play of Bodies: How We Perceive Games is like one of the hugest corrections academic game studies has ever received, advocating for a change in conversation about players or text to a text-which-can-only-be-played that necessarily implicates the player at the same time it is played (or “read”). It feels like something a lot of SBers would really get behind, I suspect Keogh was a reader of ABDN and what not. It also makes a super compelling argument why we should be writing ‘videogames’ instead of ‘video games.’

Half-Real is also really great. I find a lot of its theoretical ideas about narrative and abstraction in games to still be acceptable, despite it being so old. In fact I think it has remained closer to the truth of things even while other theories get more attention.

Also, if anyone buys this bundle… could someone share the epubs?

2 Likes

A non-SB friend highly recommended two other books in this deal. That and the replies in this thread were enough to bring me to critical mass and I have purchased them all.

I was initially hoping to see this book in the list. It’s one I’ve had my eye on for a long time but there appears to be no electronic version (other than a pirate PDF, which is useless to me) and the print version has a lot of negative reviews for having small, faint print and I don’t want to deal with that.

I read a really good book by a modern philosopher about agency which did all its work with that book. This was C. Thi Nguyen’s Games: Agency as Art and it was very good. Has made me consider reading The Grasshopper too.

1 Like

imageimageimage

1 Like