Bold and Bizarre Tales from Dwarf Fortress 13

Yeah I’m kinda scared to finally play this in case I hate it.

1 Like

i think the greatest joy from DF is just witnessing other people play it, and knowing it exists as an object

5 Likes

I always swore I would play it if it had graphics. I wonder if I’ll make myself a liar

6 Likes

I’m in the exact same boat!!! this was my excuse that I thought would last forever!!

5 Likes

What’re the best books about dwarves digging holes anyway? It’s always like a side thing like in LOTR, Discworld or Forgotten Realms. I want a 600 page book about dwarf fortresses!!! Tarn Adams come to this thread.

3 Likes

i think they made it look like amogus on purpose and this entire thing is designed to permanently occupy the lives of the post-minecraft generation.

2 Likes

Could do worse

3 Likes

It’s OUT

7 Likes

i bought it and played the tutorial, which is good!! i am going to spend some more solid time relearning it tomorrow.

the music is really, really nice and the new interface gets the job done, which is to say that i thought it would be impossible but they did it. they did it folks.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m amazed by the music, it’s fantastic so far.

2 Likes

yeah, super impressed with this release.
i think if someone was going into this with none of the knowledge of how impenetrable dwarf fortress is, the graphics/tutorial/etc would not even really make that part of the narrative anymore

2 Likes

my mans Zasit Godenoshur keeps getting knocked out by the trees he’s cutting down. like, get out of the way dude! then he remembers it later, confused. you know why the tree fell on you! you cut it down!!

love these idiots

2 Likes

Decided to jump back into this game with the steam release.

Trying to remember how to make a door.

3 Likes

IMPORTANT: ONLY EVER MAKE CAGES OUT OF METAL

DON’T MAKE MY MISTAKE

Turn asunder by the dread named cave crocodile “Darkskinny”

Literally dozens died.

12 Likes

14 Likes

I dropped out lik 10 years ago when the new update required the military to have managed patrol routes and you had to like set a patrol route to get them to just get up from where ever they are and go to the threat.

Hoping by now they just have added a “fighter go here” function in there.

If they did this is gonna ruin me.
There is a 300 hour hole in the next year for this I can see it coming.

1 Like

I’m having a fantastic time. It’s taking me a while to get back into the groove (last time I played seriously was over a decade ago) but I am learning keyboard shortcuts again and in a few weeks I’ll be playing this game like a goddamn piano.

I made three fortress starts so far to remember some build order stuff and my current one is doing very well. My second fortress had a vampire in it, I think, but I was too busy dealing with other problems I’d created to track the fucker down and kill them. I am having Fun!!!

If I had one complaint, it’s that the QOL of the alert feature is now very poor compared to other games in this genre in a way that makes it harder for me to see the Fun happening. Most games in this genre now warn you very promptly that something unhinged is happening and this gives you plenty of time to sit around and watch it unfold while either cackling or tearing your hair out. The DF model however relies on dwarves seeing something bad happening, which is fun for some mechanics and not fun for others. I wish some of these Bad Things warned me a little earlier/a little more forcefully, so I could navigate over and watch a guy brawl, or whatever!

6 Likes

i love getting an alert that a fight is happening and then i click the little “go there” sign and nothing is there at all and it’s just like

well

i guess a dwarf fought a badger here or something??

honestly it kinda rules though, it’s how I am IRL as well - usually five minutes too late, and confused

2 Likes

9 Likes

I have come home. Still the GOAT. Last time I remember playing is 2019 in the throes of Niantic Hell. Oxygen Not Included occupied the same impulse for a bit but nothing comes close to Dwarf Fortress. Untouchable.

A necromancer was elected mayor and a titan flying slug attacked me on year 2 and i had EIGHTY DWARVES without realizing it and the overcame the titan in a heaving mass of bodies. The necromancer died. I now have 20-ish wasting zombies wandering around doing nothing, and an enormous tomb complex for all the bodies I keep finding in random places.

Theming save-splitting as “timelines” is so genius. The power of a good vibe.

7 Likes