Bloodborne October/November Book Club

still the best line in any videogame

10 Likes

there is a special place in my heart for the

Already dead.
OK

textbox

2 Likes

arcane is a weird stat! it makes arcane weapons more effective & interacts with items in a way that stats donā€™t in other soulses.

itā€™s fun because nearly every enemy/boss has some kind of huge elemental weakness. you can convert most weapons to fire, lightning, or arcane (magic damage) weapons with gems, and their stat scaling will switch to pure arcane instead of strength/skill, so you have tons of flexibility when it comes to how you wanna fight stuff. you also get to use hunterā€™s tools, which all have awkward animations (because youā€™re tapping into Eldritch Powers you probably shouldnā€™t be) and only situationally useful, but theyā€™re very useful in those situations! one of them lets you manifest tentacles from the palm of your hand. you can eventually level strength a bit, get the moonlight sword and shoot big lasers everywhere (also, its transform attack causes a giant explosion) or turn yourself into a glowing tentacled broccoli alien and spit Old One Goo while you slither around.

this reddit thread goes into the nuts and bolts, but the short starting guide is: pick the cleaver and get it to +3. thereā€™s a guaranteed waning fire gem you can find in the cathedral ward & it wonā€™t fit in any other early weapon. this thing will wreck beasts as theyā€™re weak to serrated & fire damage, and will keep being useful til the end of the game if you want it to. ignore guns & equip the hunterā€™s torch (it scales on arcane, inexplicably) & flamesprayer (itā€™s really good for the first half, especially when you buff it with bone marrow ash)

1 Like

yeah I loved how only in an arcane build could you get like functional projectiles again, and only fairly late

Bloodborne stats generally arenā€™t super interesting but arcane makes a lot of edge cases pretty cool

it is fully useless if you donā€™t figure out elemental weapons fairly early on but hey

I should play Bloodborne again, I havenā€™t come too close to replaying a lot of games from that approximate era yet but itā€™s as exciting as any of them and itā€™s coming due

The Tonitrus build is a lot of fun. But yeah, you canā€™t really do an Arcane build without doing research, for better or worse. Mostly because to really make it work you have to find stuff and finding that stuff is hidden all over the place.

i canā€™t imagine bloodborne pvp is very active now but the aforementioned broccoli alien form is the most fun iā€™ve had with it in any souls game

1 Like
1 Like

oh god this just hit me all of a sudden

the icon for pebbles shows they have a kind of circular groove on them

and you always find several of them dropped by the eye-scooping witches

are they actually petrified eyeballs?? i am fucking tripping here i swear

9 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s basically it. I think thatā€™s also why the crows drop them. Thereā€™s also a fairly large number of characters in the game that have had their eyes removed, in order to ā€˜see with eyes on the insideā€™ and so forth

1 Like

This theory is widely accepted

oh ok, thanks a lot wikia

still love that this game is continuing to freak me out on new levels, years down the line

edit: also, the idea of becoming literally petrified due to glimpsing the unknowable is pretty great and thematically on point.

iā€™m just in awe that the horror in bloodborne pervades the world to such a degree that the semblances of normality it does have are ultimately just a thin tale woven over the surface. like a last ditch effort to retain sanity.

2 Likes

The crows have eyes!

3 Likes

Gustave DorĆ© was already mentioned much earlier in here, but this pieceā€™s mood hit me strongly just now

the children seem almost statuelike

6 Likes

Been playing through Bloodborne again to help a friend on his first hunt. My new characterā€™s ~Lv 40 and my old ng+++ near 160, but I think one of the last patches let you password co-op regardless of level difference anyways. With some sort of stat average balance.

If you wanna join up, weā€™re just after beating Vicar Amelia and likely doing Hemwick Charnel Lane or Forbidden Woods a late evening this week. Iā€™m down for joining fresh starts too.

Maybe I would actually play this game if I had a dedicated coop partner :thinking:

I think thereā€™s a few sections that must be done solo, far as I can recall small brief exceptions. Getting to the point where you can join/summon takes a small bit of prep work.

If you decide to create a character and Seek Paleblood, let me know so we can coordinate some ringing of bells. Can do 3 in total, sometimes 1 slot occupied by a summonable npc.

Iā€™m currently helping a friend with bloodborne.

One example is thst you canā€™t summon in the cathedral ward until all 3 gates are open.

Unseen village is unpleasant for coop.

6 Likes
1 Like

I have a question! I have been playing this game for a few weeks and I really liked it! Now I have the chance to kill the final two bosses, or keep going through the DLC.
Is the dlc worth it? I have killed Ludwig and gone to the Research Facilities, but now it seems less interesting.
Should i skip the rest of the dlc and just finish the game, or is it going to be interesting again?