Bloodborne October/November Book Club

Update: EVERY CHALICE DUNGEON BOSS, FELL’D!!!

Yes – this includes:

• Every Bloodletting Beast
  • Cursed Watchdog
  • Cursed Amygdala

please clap

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/202363604

8 Likes

I had a dream that there was a bb/soulslike game but set in Modern Times in a creepy mountain town infested by some kind of lurking darkness

3 Likes

12 Likes
2 Likes

Oh, ALSO: https://twitter.com/richard_pilbeam/status/925741817038958592

7 Likes

Breaking ground here with the first piece of architectural fan art for Byrgenwerth

20 Likes

Diplo I stayed up all night reading brick by brick so thanks

watercolor is so appropriate for the sky

god this is beautiful

Further adventures:

Final Boss

Blood-Starved Bumbler

Headless Bloodletting Beast #1

Headless Bloodletting Beast #2

35 AM

• Rave Reviews -

14 AM

3 Likes

Bloodletting Beast is a chump.

However, I have not improved at navigating slight inclines.

6 Likes

@wourme mentioned this in the STEALS thread, I kinda had to after some gift ordering. It was so stuffed into the mailbox I was sure some pages’d be warped but surprisingly no. The art’s all intact, properly twisted.

2 Likes

so i commented on this in the discord and games you played etc thread but i finally picked up bloodborne to play, plus expansion.

i have avoided a lot of spoilers about it so i’m going in fairly blind, a few things i know but mostly not really knowing much about it. went axe/blunderbuss to start with. love the axe, and that should not be surprising to anyone who knew how i played in dark souls 2.

experience so far is that i struggled a bit at the very beginning until things clicked with me, and just didn’t have too many serious problems past that. ended up beating gascoigne before cleric beast, neither of them gave too much trouble. though I kept trying to parry cleric beast at first and that didn’t go very well. good lesson in the limitations of parrying.

blood starved beast took three tries at level 20-something. i gather this is pretty quick relative to most players. still, quite a fight, i felt like i actually had to seriously put in effort on it and i still think i don’t really ‘get’ how to win that fight reliably yet.

i’m past vicar amelia and have been finding that the game has opened up in many, many different directions all of a sudden.

my current status is being horrendously lost and not being able to get a good mental map of how everything is put together. this feels kind of intentional? a bit dreamlike, space itself feels distorted.

So, some thoughts! I am not all the way through the game yet, but enough to get a feel for cosmic horror.

The setting here is way more compelling than Dark Souls was. It starts with a pretty standard werewolf story; there’s an infection, it’s turning people into beasts, better start hacking 'em up. It’s for their own good. Infections that turn people into crazed beasts are often a metaphor for the plagues and diseases that afflicted people in the eras that this game’s aesthetics are drawing from.

But there is something just… Fundamentally Wrong with Yharnam itself. It’s subtle but it’s always there. The Hunter’s Dream, and for that matter the existence of hunters themselves. The Plain Doll. Frenzy, and how it’s inflicted. The messengers. How time itself is distorted; that areas seem to give an impression of progression from day to night but how none of it is real. How every area gives kind of a dreamlike sense of progression; areas are connected, but in ways that make sense only in passing, in ways that will likely become knots in your brain.

Areas often feel more visually striking than they are logical, like things that were not created by humans for humans, but a sort of coagulated mass of thoughts and realities barely held together by its remaining inhabitants.

This is a strong lead-in to where it goes later, a continually nagging sense that there is far more happening than the player is able to grasp, or, for that matter, will ever be able to grasp. I would even say that the somewhat repetitive nature of the assets works in favor of this.

By comparison Dark Souls was half drawn from Greek mythology and half Dark Fantasy Zombie Camp. The postapocalypse is here, get your shotgunsswords and get to work! The mythology was the strongest part.

Both have a very strong sense of lateralism in their designs. And by lateralism, I mean that things are not what they immediately seem to be, that things are not just people having discovered their Beast Out meter, that they have purpose and reason for being there under the surface, giving a broader explanation for their existence. Characters that have ulterior motives and purposes, and aren’t simply one dimensional.

(Though, honestly: Dark Souls 2 suffered greatly from one dimensional NPCs. I Am A Shopkeep And I Sell Wares. This was one of its greatest failings.)

7 Likes

You hold forward and slightly to the left while locked on. After every attack(which will whiff) do 2 to 3 attacks in retaliation. Chug antidotes when you need to. BSB is the easiest fight in the game

Alternatively you could just parry them to death, it’s a lot easier than you’d think

three tries was enough to get the timing down yes

i’m not arguing that it is potentially an easy boss, it’s a souls game, every boss is potentially made trivially easy, it was about the quickness to learn the patterns

also i beat rom and paarl and WELL no more hiding the setting anymore, eh?

3 Likes

and just saying, a bit of personal philosophy for me on videogames, i value first playthroughs more than repeat playthroughs. i’ve been actually super stingy on spoilers for this game since i knew i would want to play it eventually.

at no point am i asking for advice or “hey lol that’s actually really easy” because honestly i could probably spend the time to figure it out if i wanted to, but (a) not going to bother, and (b) it’s more fun for me to take whatever my goofy playstyle is and try to make it work anyway, even if by force.

still using hunter’s axe and kirkhammer, as i feel like i have all my bases covered between them, though i’m finally feeding stones into ludwig’s holy sword and playing around with the flamethrower etc.

spent an average of about 90 minutes/day according to the in-game timer.

1 Like

another way to describe this approach is… like.

okay, difficulty has many forms.

something can be easy to do, but unclear on how you figure out how to do it. the information gap is a form of difficulty in itself.

i appreciate that form of difficulty, too, and the experimentalism that it leads to encouraging.

1 Like

this is reminding me of:

except in this case i guess it’s wissen you’re talking about?

where’s @Telengard when you need him